Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Form Analysis/Critique

Old 12-26-2019, 07:25 PM

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Obsessive throwing just over a year and 325' - looking to improve form!

https://youtu.be/HLJbf6eS58g

I started playing in November of 2018. I'm obsessed and play pretty much every day. Typically I throw ~325'. Recently focusing on keeping my off arm tucked is adding 25 feet or so to that. Mostly throwing an MVP Wave in these clips.

The most frustrating thing is that i feel that people with worse form than me in my play group sometimes throw farther.

I frequent Reddit, and when I post a form check, the primary critique ppl point out is that I'm not bracing correctly. I've watched so many YouTube videos (seabas22, heavydisc, Danny, Simon and TONS of others) and read a bunch of posts on form, but something is still not clicking where I've hit a wall (I've been throwing this distance for like 6 months). One-leg type drills seem to be the most common suggestion, which do help, but then when I add the x-step I'm back to the same result; sort of falling forward after I release the disc. When I try to focus on really stopping on my plant foot, I usually end up with a sore knee, so I'm doing something incorrect in that regard.

What's the MAIN THING I need to work on and get down really well before focusing on something else?

Brace/weight shift right?

So right now I'm thinking I should just take my FD and an Envy for my next few rounds, drop the x-step, and focus on "crush the can". Do you think this is a good starting point?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Side note: the first throw in the vid looks the best form-wise to me, is that accurate?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-26-2019, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,071 Times in 1,869 Posts

Fundamentally you need to learn to "shift from behind you into the plant" instead of "trying to shift from in front of you" as SC explains below in best downswing weightshift. You are trying to push through the swing with your left foot still on the ground late and your front foot opened up, and you end pushing/tipping your upper body over top your front leg. You want to plant more like you could reverse direction on your front leg like a running back so your foot/leg needs to plant more underneath you/CoG. You are planting your front foot over too far toward the left teepad side away from your CoG, so you are stuck behind it and jamming into it instead of moving upright on it.

Note how your is right ear is going down to the ground so water would be coming out of your right ear in the finish. Note how McBeth's right ear is finishing upward so water would stay inside the ear. You should feel your chin leading your nose/top of head forward changing dynamic tilt to the front leg. Your dynamic tilt is stuck on your rear leg as you didn't shift off your rear foot/leg before coming into the plant.

Also note how your lower arm is angled to swing downward into the release, your hand/disc is above your elbow = nose up. Note how McBeth's hand/disc are swinging from below his elbow so it's slightly upward swing with the disc nose down. You may need to check and adjust your grip.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133319

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 6.46.44 PM.jpg (64.3 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 12-26-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:24 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 280 Times in 215 Posts

You are trying to go with the disc to the target. It's a big boy, it can go all by itself.

Joking aside, you are right, you're not really getting much out of a brace, but that may be a consequence of other things. You're definitely planting open and losing all power from your hips. Everything is opening too early and you aren't getting balanced on the front leg and just end up tipping towards the target instead of remaining more upright with a slight forward athletic tilt.

Ok, all those things might not make sense right now, but to answer your main question: I have seen the most success of people bettering their form by actually doing the seabas22 drills and filming them then posting here for feedback and correction. You're likely doing them wrong (not you in particular,everyone does at first) which definitely won't help. Once you get the feel of the drills correctly, then you can try to apply that feeling to the disc golf throw.

For you, I think you are right, some of the standstill drills would be good. The windmill drill in particular seems to help a lot of people with feeling the weight and rhythm of the swing. You seem to have pretty good upper body action on the throw (or good enough for now) so I would focus primarily on the lower body and footwork. Footwork is everything!

obligatory: do as a I say, not as a I do haha. It's taken me way too long to figure this stuff out but I'm right on the verge.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 12-26-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 280 Times in 215 Posts

The other thing I would say is drop the high speed drivers (except for fun times). If you are hitting 350' with a Wave (for example) you could probably get very close to that distance with an FD as well and probably control it a lot better. The one Wave I have is the flippiest driver I own and consequently super fun to throw

Old 12-26-2019, 10:54 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is so great. Thank you thank you for the awesome insight! I'll put it to good use and post an update after awhile.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 56 Times in 49 Posts

Glad to see you here from Reddit! Welcome to the rabbit hole
Old 12-27-2019, 10:15 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Not sure how to reply directly, but here's some updated throws. Slight improvement?

https://youtu.be/-cmzT3fHgpQ
Old 12-27-2019, 11:19 PM
* Ace Member *

I don't think the x-step is helping, just adding more moving parts. I would suggest posting video of yourself doing Door Frame Drill and Reciprocating Dingle Arm.

You are crashing down over top your front leg, note how your head is aligned to your rear leg instead of the front leg. This should feel very weird/different. Note how your head is sinking below your shoulder. Paul is in perfect dynamic upright posture/balance like a skier going into a turn on the front leg. If you went into a ski turn like this you would bite it, note how your rear leg flies up and around in your finish like a roundhouse kick counter balancing your upper body going over top your front leg. You should feel like you are repelling the disc away from you in the finish like an Olympic Hammer Thrower, instead of your body chasing after the disc or being pulled off the teepad or front foot.

Your arm appears to scrunch up and have a lot of slack in it, and like you are trying to keep or manipulate the disc on a perfectly straight line to target instead of giving it a blow like hitting a tree with an axe. You need to feel your arm/disc hang and have weight and pulled taut like ball on string and leverage the lower arm/disc outward from your center in an arc. Swing more in a pendulum motion so your right shoulder should swing underneath your chin and your left shoulder going back and forth.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=132496

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 9.41.20 PM.jpg (47.9 KB, 100 views)

Old 01-25-2020, 03:50 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Super helpful!! I did bust out a hammer to do some drills, but didn't record it. I'll do that along with the door frame drill and post it. In the meantime, here's a rear view of a hyzer flip throw from yesterday. I usually dingle arm and towel whip before and a couple time during a round now. I'm up to 350'. https://youtu.be/jqt6Uz1pQ7c

Old 01-25-2020, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

1. Note how you are leaning over while GG is balanced and stacked on right foot.

2. Note how your left foot is stepping in the way of your right foot toward left tee side and your right knee has to bend to stride around your left foot. Note how GG's left foot steps toward right tee side out of the way of right foot to stride straight thru.

3. Note how your right knee is landing on top ankle and your CoG is more to the right tee side of your ankle, and your left elbow is chicken winged out behind your back. Note how GG is landing in more athletic balance on front foot with left elbow in front of chest.

4. Note how your right knee collapses over to left tee side, and your shoulders are open, and your left shoulder has swung around your front shoulder so your right shoulder is acting as the center of rotation and so your shoulders are not a lever in the system. Note how GG's right knee braces and clears upright, and how his right shoulder has swung forward(not around) and is still closed. Also note how GG's left shoulder didn't really move between 3 and 4 so his left shoulder is the center of rotation swinging the whole shoulder lever and arm/disc from it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 5.22.07 PM copy.jpg (113.6 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 01-25-2020 at 06:50 PM.