Old 12-31-2019, 05:24 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 413
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 218 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
If thrown correctly, you should have no issues with a forehand. My forehand isn't near what it used to be but if I play a forehand round it seems to come back quickly. If you focus on the follow through and the angle of your hand on the follow through, you'll save yourself the injuries. Firebird or not, doesn't really matter. Smooth is far. Make sure your hand stays on the same plane the entire time with a continuous acceleration. Even a firebird is going to wobble out of your hand if it's thrown with off axis torque. It just won't crash and burn.
This right here seems like part of my problem. The follow through and angle of the hand on the follow through. It's way more than that, but this is the one I've even noticed. And as others have said, which I know is a MAJOR problem, wrist roll. I'll flick a Firebird and it'll wobble like crazy but go pretty far (for me, FH) and finish hard right. Which WAS all I really wanted from a forehand. I found an Enforcer this year and it's the most consistent FH disc I've thrown to date, but I throw it on a flex line because I know it will fight out of the anny.

Having read all the responses I've gotten (thanks to all) I think I'm just going to start from scratch basically. I'm thinking of trying Zones first, at shorter distances. They feel great in the hand and is something I can use for scramble situations quite a bit. I'm working on these backhand too so it's a win win for me. I currently have a backpack cart which holds a ton of discs. I bag an Explorer, Trident, Maverick (3) for fairways currently. I'll try the Explorer and Mavericks too for a bit more distance. Not at this time though. I'm thinking Zones and I just got a couple Ringer GT's. I have a Lucid Judge and Warden too for more neutral putters. I'll probably try out Rocs and Buzzzes too. Thanks again everyone, and I'm open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2019, 10:38 AM
Par Member

Niced 144 Times in 77 Posts

I didn't start throwing forehand until I was 38. Have really enjoyed the process and experience. It's definitely shaving off strokes, especially getting out of trouble on the left side of the fairway shule from hyzering out early. Standstill step outs to get up and down.

I'm just focusing on using understable plastic, going slow and smooth, following through, and working on short shots and perfecting them under 200ft. Not even trying to throw more than 50% ish effort. It's good to use new muscles.

Haven't had any elbow problems at all. I think it's an matter of focusing on short shots. I don't need to throw 400ft forehand bombs, the risk vs. reward isn't worth it, I'll just end up hurting myself. All I need are those short little chip shots out of the shule, or maybe those short par 3 shots off the tee under 300 ft that are strong doglegs that I can't shape a backhand turnover on.

Everytime I go out and play I at least throw my entire bag (20 discs) forehand to warm up and get extra practice. It's a matter of reps.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-31-2019, 05:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 247 Times in 138 Posts

I'm 39 and have been working on my forehand slowly over the past year or so. It's been a slow road but I am very comfortable throwing putters forehand in the 100-200' range. I usually forehand a K1 Reko if I want to go straight or a Jawbreaker Zone if I want some fade or a flex shot.

I'm currently practicing forehand with midranges out past 200'. I'm slowly getting there but it's not something I'm super confident throwing during a round.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-31-2019, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 73
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
This right here seems like part of my problem. The follow through and angle of the hand on the follow through. It's way more than that, but this is the one I've even noticed. And as others have said, which I know is a MAJOR problem, wrist roll. I'll flick a Firebird and it'll wobble like crazy but go pretty far (for me, FH) and finish hard right. Which WAS all I really wanted from a forehand. I found an Enforcer this year and it's the most consistent FH disc I've thrown to date, but I throw it on a flex line because I know it will fight out of the anny.

Having read all the responses I've gotten (thanks to all) I think I'm just going to start from scratch basically. I'm thinking of trying Zones first, at shorter distances. They feel great in the hand and is something I can use for scramble situations quite a bit. I'm working on these backhand too so it's a win win for me. I currently have a backpack cart which holds a ton of discs. I bag an Explorer, Trident, Maverick (3) for fairways currently. I'll try the Explorer and Mavericks too for a bit more distance. Not at this time though. I'm thinking Zones and I just got a couple Ringer GT's. I have a Lucid Judge and Warden too for more neutral putters. I'll probably try out Rocs and Buzzzes too. Thanks again everyone, and I'm open to suggestions.
Practice with the buzzz. It's a great forehand mid range. You'll get the most benefit. No harm in practicing with the zone too, but it will be a crutch. You will just have to pay attention to the wobble more. Stick to shallow rim discs imo, so I will always grab something like the buzzz over the roc. I'm really sad I've lost my forehand confidence, it's one of my goals for next year. My back hand out performs my forehand so much that it's only ever used for right hooking shots. I am excited for some more forehand only rounds .

Old 12-31-2019, 08:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 193
Niced 704 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
I'm coming into this discussion a bit late. But you've already received plenty of great input. Do you happen to already have Buzzzes? I'd recommend starting with something like that over a Zone. Zones are awesome but they're kinda a short range Firebird, unless you're throwing them in X or Jawbreaker. The Buzzz is a beautiful and underrated forehand disc, as several folks have already mentioned. Especially if you have happen to have "more overstable" Buzzzes in your possession (e.g. Z, Big Z, or newer ESP), I'd recommend starting there. It might be a little more frustrating than starting Zone, but it will help your form and be really useful on the course.

By the way, the Buzzz is so stinkin' useful for those scramble situations you mentioned. In particular, a Buzzz is so perfect for those right to left anny forehands, (RHFH, that is) and I think that's my single most useful shot on wooded courses. There are tons of players out there that could revolutionize their game by adding this single shot.

Last edited by armiller; 12-31-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 413
Niced 218 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwAlbino View Post
Practice with the buzzz. It's a great forehand mid range. You'll get the most benefit. No harm in practicing with the zone too, but it will be a crutch. You will just have to pay attention to the wobble more. Stick to shallow rim discs imo, so I will always grab something like the buzzz over the roc. I'm really sad I've lost my forehand confidence, it's one of my goals for next year. My back hand out performs my forehand so much that it's only ever used for right hooking shots. I am excited for some more forehand only rounds .
Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I'm coming into this discussion a bit late. But you've already received plenty of great input. Do you happen to already have Buzzzes? I'd recommend starting with something like that over a Zone. Zones are awesome but they're kinda a short range Firebird, unless you're throwing them in X or Jawbreaker. The Buzzz is a beautiful and underrated forehand disc, as several folks have already mentioned. Especially if you have happen to have "more overstable" Buzzzes in your possession (e.g. Z, Big Z, or newer ESP), I'd recommend starting there. It might be a little more frustrating than starting Zone, but it will help your form and be really useful on the course.

By the way, the Buzzz is so stinkin' useful for those scramble situations you mentioned. In particular, a Buzzz is so perfect for those right to left anny forehands, (RHFH, that is) and I think that's my single most useful shot on wooded courses. There are tons of players out there that could revolutionize their game by adding this single shot.
I do have some Buzzzes. 4 actually, 3 Regular Z buzzzes and 1 Z Buzzz SS. I will try these out. They never clicked for me backhand, but they do feel great in the hand. I have a couple Compasses, Gatekeeper, M4, Wombat, Coyote, Warship and a champ Spider. So I have plenty of options in that speed/stability range. I'll try the Buzzzes first though.

CwAlbino: I'm curious why a Zone would have more wobble? Just the overstability and maybe trying to put more power into it? The Buzzz is similar feeling in the hand though (flat top at least) to a Zone so I'll definitely try them out.

armiller: Definitely agree about scramble shots. Having a forehand is something I never really thought too much about until I started watching Jomez, CCDG,etc. Having even a serviceable forehand for inside 100 feet would save me so many strokes. I'd like to eventually be able to throw FH drives but what everyone is saying makes sense. I just have learn proper form at shorter distances with less power. I always try to go as fast and hard as possible at 110 %, LOL. I need to slow my roll and do it right though.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 825 Times in 575 Posts

Got lots of good advice so far.. FWIW I'm 43, been working a FH into my game for last 6 years or so, for a variety of reasons.. I can't give you advice on how to throw it but injuries are very real trying to learn a forehand. There's lots of pressure that you can put on your elbow and tendons if you are doing it wrong.

Couple guys out here I was getting pointers from throw palm up, haha, took a while to shake that. Just slow and smooth like Keller was saying.. Feel the whip and snap, don't try and force it.

I learned how to FH (better) with a 176 champ Rhyno and a 170 Wasp. Buzzz is good too.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 193
Niced 704 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
I do have some Buzzzes. 4 actually, 3 Regular Z buzzzes and 1 Z Buzzz SS. I will try these out. They never clicked for me backhand, but they do feel great in the hand. I have a couple Compasses, Gatekeeper, M4, Wombat, Coyote, Warship and a champ Spider. So I have plenty of options in that speed/stability range. I'll try the Buzzzes first though.

armiller: Definitely agree about scramble shots. Having a forehand is something I never really thought too much about until I started watching Jomez, CCDG,etc. Having even a serviceable forehand for inside 100 feet would save me so many strokes. I'd like to eventually be able to throw FH drives but what everyone is saying makes sense. I just have learn proper form at shorter distances with less power. I always try to go as fast and hard as possible at 110 %, LOL. I need to slow my roll and do it right though.
Those 3 Z Buzzzes are a perfect place to start. I think what makes the Buzzz such a great forehand disc, especially in premium plastic, is that it still has some overstability at the end of flight while not being too high-speed stable. You want to learn how to provide some wrist and forearm snap while maintaining some control and touch. You mentioned the 100' range, and I think that's a great distance to work on. Really, anything under 200'. The early turn means you still get punished for OAT, but it will hold good lines with that good ol' Buzzz neutrality.

I'm not as sure about all the other mids. I just know that the Buzzz feels great for forehand and gets lots of use on the course in that role.

As far as drives, I hope that learning some touch with a lower speed mold will translate to speed 8 and higher. But I think there are some differences in form that like to creep in when people try to throw that 110% like you mentioned. In those cases, it's nice to have something like a Firebird as a crutch when you're on the course, but don't forget to learn those less beefy fairways and control drivers like you mentioned.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 73
Niced 19 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
CwAlbino: I'm curious why a Zone would have more wobble? Just the overstability and maybe trying to put more power into it? The Buzzz is similar feeling in the hand though (flat top at least) to a Zone so I'll definitely try them out.
It's the over stability. The zone will try to fight it's way out of bad form and still be an okay shot. The buzzz or something less stable with flip over. You might see the wobble but most will just see the buzzz turns over and stop throwing it, going back to the zone. That's why people say to throw the buzzz. You can power through the zone and still end up ok. The buzzz is gonna suck if your form sucks. If you want to improve while throwing the zone, you have to pay attention to the disc right after release. As your form gets smoother, the zone will actually cut faster but you'll get a more consistent shot that you can really rely on every single time.