Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Late Squeeze vs. Consistent Grip

I've heard/read in multiple places that the correct grip technique for maximizing distance is to be "loose" until the last possible second, then to squeeze hard just before the rip. I've seen it mentioned in several videos and articles but I wasn't able to find anything in depth on it.

I'm just wondering why/how this works and why it is any different than just keeping a strong grip from start to finish?

Also, if it is necessary, what is the optimal timing to initiate the tighter squeeze? Again from what I've seen so far, it is at some point after you've opened up the hips and elbow but obviously before release.

Fairly new so working on a lot right now, but trying not to build bad habits from the start. This in particular seems complicated due to the fractions of seconds you are dealing with after the explosive part of the throw.

Any thoughts on the subject are much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 274 Times in 210 Posts

The reason it works better than gripping strong from beginning to end is that gripping down hard requires you to tense the muscles in your wrist/arm. You want your arm muscles especially in the lower arm to be as loose as possible, but have a strong grip. It's a delicate balance because the harder you grip, the slower your arm will be, but if you aren't gripping hard enough at release, that will you be the limiting factor on the amount of force you can put on the disc. So that's why, in general, good throwers will be looser at the beginning and grip down tighter at the end. But everyone is different with when and how this happens.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,052 Times in 618 Posts

It's basically the idea (of every aspect of the throw, not just the grip) as UhhNegative alluded to, the concept of holding back on all that energy and then releasing it (exploding it) at the right time. That's why early on in developing form, it's good to slow down matrix style on your form and then concentrate on exploding it at the right time. One of the recent pros who simply excels at this overall concept is Emerson Keith.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 70
Niced 148 Times in 81 Posts

I've actually been focusing on this recently and I think it has added distance and accuracy for me. Sorta goes along with my goal of not strong arming anything. I try to work from the ground up, and my arm/hand are just along for the ride until I get near the hit, then I engage both 100%
Old 01-06-2020, 01:23 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, these explanations actually help a lot to understand the "why." I definitely have a bad habit of strong-arming, and a lot of that probably starts with thinking about squeezing hard too early.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 274 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
It's basically the idea (of every aspect of the throw, not just the grip) as UhhNegative alluded to, the concept of holding back on all that energy and then releasing it (exploding it) at the right time. That's why early on in developing form, it's good to slow down matrix style on your form and then concentrate on exploding it at the right time. One of the recent pros who simply excels at this overall concept is Emerson Keith.
Want your mind blown? Watch Paul Oman.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,052 Times in 618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Want your mind blown? Watch Paul Oman.
wow...that last step, long and slllow. That is very exaggerated with some serious explosiveness. Very cool, thx!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:20 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely! Almost looks like a standstill, so slow coming up.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 737 Times in 576 Posts

Grip is one of those things I probably don't put enough thought into. One thing I WILL say is that throttling down hard on the disc through the whole throw doesn't produce very good results. As mentioned, it makes your arm and wrist too tense and you end up losing arm speed and snap.

Grip can be tough. You want to grip the disc enough so that it doesn't slip, but you also don't want to throttle it. Living in CO, I often play and throw when the weather's cold and dry. Those are the worst days to grip a disc effectively.

Next time I go throw I'll try gripping the disc loosely at first, and then increasing the grip at release.