Old 12-27-2019, 03:43 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Height of throw.

Hey peeps!

So, quick question on height...

I've noticed on understable throws that my discs hit the ground to the left of me on the anhyzer angle (LHBH) and I'm not getting alot of distance compared to a stable or overstable drive.

Am I simply throwing too low and not allowing the disc to flex out how it should?

Also, I've noticed that throws that stay at eye level aren't getting alot of distance either. I've been told my form is good, however I feel like I may need to throw a little higher to get that distance. I normally throw 280-300. For drivers (sticking to 7&9 speeds because A) Im not throwing too far yet, and B) I feel like 7&9 are perfect as I get the proper flight pattern as advertised on the discs)

Help?

TIA.
Colin.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2019, 04:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,009 Times in 1,835 Posts

Too low, and/or not enough hyzer angle, and/or too much wobble. 7-9 speed discs are probably a good choice for you.

Big distance throws generally reach an apex of 40-90' high on say around 70mph throws. The faster your disc travels, the higher you can throw for more distance on the downward glide out. So if you are throwing 300' or say around 50mph you won't be able to reach that high of an apex before the disc will stall out, so your ideal apex might be like 20-30' high until you can put more speed on the disc.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml

Old 12-27-2019, 08:13 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Awesome, thank you!

My throw isn't quite explosive enough to reach 70mph, I think the fastest I've thrown that I've had measured is 55mph. But that was when I was just learning to backhand (was forehand only until the end of this summer essentially)

Now I would guess closer to 60, but I'll call up a buddy who has a radar gun and offer him some beer to see if I've gained speed at all.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:13 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Did some experimenting

So, I'm going to turn this into a little blog of learning to Simon.

I went to my closest course, little open field 9 hole course. Some trees in the way.

I watched Simon's creativity video shortly before a buddy asked me to go.

So. I'll post what I used to do, and what I did yesterday. (Keep in mind I'm a lefty)

Hole 1: 256' open shot.
Used To: Backhand a Hyzer flip Emac Truth.
Tried: Spike Hyzer with an F1.
Noticed: Spike Hyzer was more predictable, I imagine in spring I won't get the skips I do with the emac truth.

Hole 2: 311', small tree pack to the right.
Used to: Low backhand Hyzer shot with an Anax
Tried: big Force Flex forehand with a Zeus.
Noticed: Zeus held the Anny for about 250', then dumped around that 280' range. I think I'll stick with the Anax line for now until I develop higher velocity.

Hole 3: 200' Protected Basket
Used to: Spike Hyzer with a Rat.
Tried: Spike Hyzer with a Rat.
Noticed: If it ain't broke don't got damn fix it. Lol

Hole 4: 406', trees on right, OB Skating loop left and and Island green to make it interesting.
Used To: Flex forehand to place dead center, rat upshot and putt for birdie.
Tried: Hyzer line around a light pole, skip off the ice end up on the right side of the fairway, spike Hyzer onto the green, putt for 3.
Noticed: doing the skating loop skip line in winter is beneficial, the spike onto the "green" ensured no hard pack skip. My putting also is dog poop but that's another thread.

Hole 5: 265' straight ahead. Bushes and trees on right, OB Skating rink left.
Used to: Hyzer flip an Emac Truth
Tried: F1 on a Hyzer line, skip off the skating loop, park for a 2.
Noticed: nothing. Shanked it. Had to take the three and didn't have time to go back and re-attempt the intended line. Will try again once it warms back up.

Hole 6: 269' Trees right infront of tee, can either spyke Hyzer left around trees, or forehand right, get the skip off the path. UNTIL ...
Used To: Forehand Skip with an F1.
Tried: High Anny line right of the trees. Parked.
Noticed: Pretty dependable line, especially if the wind is coming right to left.

Hole 7: 295' Tree line to the right of teepad, somewhat protects a straight line to basket.
Used To: Send an Anax out flat and let it fade towards the basket.
Tried: High Anny line way right of the tee pad to try and get it coming back. It worked. Perfectly.
Noticed: Again a very dependable line, especially if the wind is right to left. Eliminating the potential of turning a Hyzer over. Good option

Hole 8: 246' Dead ahead. No need for anything crazy. OB fence on the right.
Tried and True: Most stable Emac Truth forehand to keep the fence out of play. Park it every time.

Hole 9: 411' Wide Open.
Tried and True: Anax initial drive, Rat Upshot, putt for 3.

In all, I tried these lines I probably never would have thought of until I noticed that my H5 wasnt coming back for me and I needed to throw higher. Now the higher lines I'm finding more appeasing and I'll be trying them more often than not no matter the course. It's got me thinking about a few different lines I want to try next time I go to the league course that may actually shave 3-4 strokes from a round. Hoping it works.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:51 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 36 Times in 26 Posts

I too like to goof around and experiment sometimes.

A good example is the first hole on a little pitch and putt course I play from time to time. 165 feet straight ahead sort of guarded by by trees on the front, right side, and back side. Easiest play is a little forehand flick with something like a harp or zone and come in from the left. The trees are spread out enough that even a RHBH little hyzer will usually get through to park. Lately I’ve been throwing a really high thumber and have it crash in near the basket. You know, just for fun. And to practice my thumbers.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 737 Times in 576 Posts

An anny throw definitely needs height. You want the disc to flex out in a big S curve pattern. You won't get that if you throw too low. Also, you need to find a disc that isn't too understable. You don't want it turning over into the ground immediately.

Anny throws can be longer than any other release if done properly with the right disc.