Old 01-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 5 year Hiatus - New/Simple Bag

So I'm thinking about trying to come back to the game after not really having enough time to play for the last 5 years or so. I am thinking about starting off simple and slow and try to not make some of the same mistakes I made before.

Was considering going the classic and simple putter/mid/fairway setup that was traditional last I checked. Prob thinking something like the classic aviar/roc/eagle combo, but given the 5 years of ignorance I have accumulated I wanted to make sure there had not been some revolutionary breakthrough in concepts or discs that I should consider instead.

What are the typical suggestions for new players these days? Pretty much the same?

Note: As I might have given away from my example combo, I was a fairly big Innova fan last time around given that I lived in Rock Hill SC at the time. I figure I will try to branch out a little more since they aren't paying me to not throw other brands
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 103 Times in 50 Posts

My two cents, there are different combinations available now, but not better. Aviar/Roc/Eagle was good then and it is still good.

Now, you could have fun and try all kinds of new molds, but unless that is fun in itself, I'd just stick with the classics.

A newer mold you might like to try is the Axiom Crave, if you're wanting new for the sake of new. It sort of reminds me of a dx eagle. It doesn't fade as hard as a new one, but will keep the fade longer. Even though I don't bag it anymore, I am frequently tempted to bring it back.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 105 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me! Good luck.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowie View Post
My two cents, there are different combinations available now, but not better. Aviar/Roc/Eagle was good then and it is still good.

Now, you could have fun and try all kinds of new molds, but unless that is fun in itself, I'd just stick with the classics.

A newer mold you might like to try is the Axiom Crave, if you're wanting new for the sake of new. It sort of reminds me of a dx eagle. It doesn't fade as hard as a new one, but will keep the fade longer. Even though I don't bag it anymore, I am frequently tempted to bring it back.
Thanks for the suggestion, how does the Crave handle FH throws?
Old 01-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 103 Times in 50 Posts

If you put anny or oat on them, they will flip over hard. I throw pretty flat and they work well.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:40 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 855 Times in 716 Posts

If you have a hard time finding the mold of Eagle X or L that you want, Try a Stalker. The Stalker is a Eagle L or whichever is the straighter wing yet with the bead it flies like the more OS version of Eagle, flat then a slow forward moving dump.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 86
Niced 329 Times in 177 Posts

Not really “new” because some of these types of discs already existed 5 years ago,. But I’m my opinion the biggest change over the last few years has been the proliferation of the “control driver.” Seems like everyone has a 9-10 speed stable/overstable driver in the bag now, to bridge the gap between fairways and distance discs. PD, Thunderbird, Anax, etc. I think the Thunderbird has just come out around the time you stopped playing.

Of course it depends how far you throw, if this slot is even helpful for you to fill. If you throw less than 375 or so it’s probably not necessary.

Niced: (1)