Old 01-15-2020, 04:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,415 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydisc View Post
Let's not forget that for a good number of players out there, new ones in particular, the disc doesn't always go where it's intended, so, even if you're trying to avoid throwing into a group playing basketball, you just might.
That's one thing I don't like about Mandos for safety. I fully understand why they exist, but all they really do is discourage mindful players from taking a line that could have unwanted consequences, theoretically reducing the likelihood of them.

Just because the designer doesn't want me to throw over the ball field, court, etc... doesn't necessarily mean my disc ain't going there. Even experienced players miss their lines occassionly. Extra strokes don't make people safer.

If I could hit lines consistently, my name might be stamped on discs, intead of Sharpied on them.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-15-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,931 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
That's one thing I don't like about Mandos for safety. I fully understand why they exist, but all they really do is discourage mindful players from taking a line that could have unwanted consequences, theoretically reducing the likelihood of them.

Just because the designer doesn't want me to throw over the ball field, court, etc... doesn't necessarily mean my disc ain't going there. Even experienced players miss their lines occassionly. Extra strokes don't make people safer.

If I could hit lines consistently, my name might be stamped on discs, intead of Sharpied on them.
That's another sign of poor design, IMO...a mando that's primary function is safety. It's a crutch that designers overly relied on to design/install courses for the sake of installing courses. At the current stage of the game's development, we should no longer be shoehorning courses where they really shouldn't go just for the sake of having another course to play. And ideally, we should be re-thinking the holes/courses where such "safety" mandos have been utilized and phasing them out as much as possible as well.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 489 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:

I liked your post specifically for this portion.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-16-2020, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 213
Niced 306 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydisc View Post
Let's not forget that for a good number of players out there, new ones in particular, the disc doesn't always go where it's intended, so, even if you're trying to avoid throwing into a group playing basketball, you just might.
Which, to me, is just one more reason NOT to design the course with a path to throw over another multi-use park element that might be in use.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,415 Times in 1,186 Posts

At this point...

It's pretty obvious that there are two trains of thought, who's riding each train, and which of those trains is more likely to get derailed like this thread.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 140 Times in 73 Posts

To continue the thread drift - I played Picnic Island in Tampa recently. It's a big mixed used park right on the bay. The course is pretty nice and most of the holes have no issue with other park users. But a few of the holes along the bay were difficult. I actually skipped two of them due to others. The first shot was a blind shot towards the water that I scouted just because I was worried. Most of the other park users didn't give a s*#t about what I was doing.

also Kenwood Trails DGC in Lakeville, MN has 'watch for flying discs' signs.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 293
Niced 209 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:

What all the well meaning optimistic folks haven't mentioned is that our parks are populated with people that dont care about the health of our sport; players and non players. A mando doesnt stop players throwing that way or poor throws flying that way. It isnt elitist to hope that designers design safety into their courses. Many, however, fail to do so. This is why courses should be designed by experienced designers.

To the OP. The teesign should have the Mando object clearly marked. Then the line of the Mando both presented on the map and to the left or right of the Mando so that players know when they have actually missed a Mando