Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 534
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 166 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
I thought the PDGA said mandos need to be 20 meters or less to the throwing area. Thats what I was told by a TD of a big event and that they had to get waivers for lots of their mandos (which fwiw were completely off the fairway just to direct safe play after perhaps a really errant drive) Thats the real use of mandatories IMO. Direct play but in a way that they should not be in play for most throws. I.e. so much out of the way that a throw that misses one is abysmally bad to begin with.

Personally I really really dislike mandos that are like a skill test: hit this or get a +1 in score. Especially if you can concievably miss it several times in a row. We are not putt putt golf. Some designers are all over mandos. When I see the first quadruple mando I may throw up. Dont get me wrong: Ilove tunnel shots but they ought to be natural. Kinda like tunnel shots but with OB in the schule too. Doubly punitive.
Agreed. Mandos have been out of control the last few years. The newest course where I live have 5 or 6 mandos, some double. Only one mando on the whole course seemed necessary.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 790 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Dont get me wrong: Ilove tunnel shots but they ought to be natural. Kinda like tunnel shots but with OB in the schule too. Doubly punitive.
Clarification: Mandos are unnecessary, doubly punitive. Kinda like tunnel shots but with OB in the schule.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 105
Niced 639 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
When I see the first quadruple mando I may throw up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Yea... I think they should get rid of the clown's mouth at USDGC and make a 15-20ft diameter island with maybe a short narrow runway leading up to the basket instead... They already don't get ratings for that event so what the hell, right?
Shhhhh, if the Duvall's see this, they'll add haybales to the clown's mouth hole so it really is a quadruple mando.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 150
Niced 396 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
I thought the PDGA said mandos need to be 20 meters or less to the throwing area. Thats what I was told by a TD of a big event and that they had to get waivers for lots of their mandos (which fwiw were completely off the fairway just to direct safe play after perhaps a really errant drive) Thats the real use of mandatories IMO. Direct play but in a way that they should not be in play for most throws. I.e. so much out of the way that a throw that misses one is abysmally bad to begin with.
The PDGA mandates are about the drop zone location, not the mando location.

Tour Standards, section 7: Any Mandatory that does not have a Drop Zone within 10 meters of the Mandatory, requires a waiver. This includes all Mandatories that do not have a defined Drop Zone and thereby require a throw from the previous lie.

It's kind of along the same lines as providing a drop zone for an island. If a player has already proved that he cannot make the mando / land on the island, we don't want him to have to try the same throw over and over and over. Move up the fairway to a drop zone that more or less takes the danger away from the obstacle.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,260 Times in 592 Posts

I can't wait to see the first 360 degree mando, which will basically be a big ring suspended in the air.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Perfect example of stupid mando. Its like 160 feet away, no dropzone, AND its only pumping up the scores or causing layups, OR to bomb the tee of #10.

Stupid stupid stupid ****
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200125-134232.jpg (71.0 KB, 78 views)

Old 01-25-2020, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 223
Niced 2,185 Times in 1,239 Posts

Quote:
Perfect example of stupid mando. Its like 160 feet away, no dropzone, AND its only pumping up the scores or causing layups, OR to bomb the tee of #10.

Stupid stupid stupid ****
looks like an easy flick line
Old 01-25-2020, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,636 Times in 2,439 Posts

Yep... that's a perfect example of bad design needing a mando to keep people on 10's tee safe.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Its just a bad design is what it is. Mandos or OBs are not force fields! Morons will throw into people regardless. They dont care if they tag the people on #10 or with a righty hyzer into the face of incoming pedestrians. Courteous people can wait for the hole to clear without the mando. The mando just pushes up scores and causes backups since you dont advance if you miss it.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 896 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Yep... that's a perfect example of bad design needing a mando to keep people on 10's tee safe.
I think the park did the best they could with the Space. For most regular players people that over the tree line is not commonly used until you get to the top 20-25 pro players that can do this regularly and need a barrier to stop them from accidentally hitting a player on hole 10 trying to go over the trees.