Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,504 Times in 1,886 Posts
Default 2014: Streets ITB

Years playing/experience: DG Overall: 4 years, Serious: 1 1/2
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, occasional short FH/OH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: putter-180-200, mid: 200-280, drivers: 290-320

Bag

Drivers:
166 Star Valk-newish, stable
166 Star Valk-seasoned, hyzer flips, turnovers and max D
168 Champ Firebird-newish, Firebird stuff

171 AJ Star Tbird- newish, beefy, when I need more skip and fade than the other
169 Star Tbird- good, straight with fade, Teebird stuff
167 Pro Leopard- seasoned, straight, slight hyzer flips, annys, love this disc

Mids:
180 DX Roc-newish, overstable
180 DX Roc-seasoned, straight with fade, good line shaper
174 X Comet-new, straight
173 X Comet-seasoned to beat, turnovers, anny to ground
168 ESP Zone-new, Zone stuff

Putters:
2x 175 S Wizards-putts, short drives, upshots, laying up, jump putts

*Of all the molds I've "played around with" I kinda come back to these guys but never have them all together in the same bag. So decided to finally go mixed bag and made a "greatest hits" kind of setup. The only thing I feel a need to fill in is something more stable than my fresh Valk, but no quite a firebird. Thinking SPD or SOLF/QOLF. Zone is probably the newest disc, I've never tried one but it was kind of quick in making a spot lol
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 149 Times in 92 Posts

Grab an S-PD in the 168-172g range, it'll pair great with your Valks.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM
*Legalize It*

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

glad you finally saw the light on the Zone ... yeah looks great dude! so no go on the Mako idea? i mean i love the current setup.. pretty much what i throw, at least same molds lol .. As far as something to go with the Valk of course everyone here is a tad bias to PD's and OLF's but to the same point they are amazing molds and you know i love Pd's but i think you might really like a Viking.. have never thrown one but have always been told its a beefy Valk so would make perfect sense.. if you wanted to add more discraft the Avenger is another sold choice for that role
Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
Grab an S-PD in the 168-172g range, it'll pair great with your Valks.
That's what I'm thinking, I tried reading some OLF threads and they made my head hurt. SPD's seem so much simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian. View Post
glad you finally saw the light on the Zone ... yeah looks great dude! so no go on the Mako idea? i mean i love the current setup.. pretty much what i throw, at least same molds lol .. As far as something to go with the Valk of course everyone here is a tad bias to PD's and OLF's but to the same point they are amazing molds and you know i love Pd's but i think you might really like a Viking.. have never thrown one but have always been told its a beefy Valk so would make perfect sense.. if you wanted to add more discraft the Avenger is another sold choice for that role
Yeah, I've just spent to much time with my beat roc and comet to give up on them. Dude I forgot about the Avenger! Hmmm so its between the SPD and ESP Avenger.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
*Legalize It*

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

yeah the s-pd will be almost like your AJ Tb but longer.. they start out pretty darn beefy but once they season its amazing.. i dont get to throw mine enough to break it in lol .. the p-pd is enough at my arm speed to where its only needed for haaarrrd left or windy
Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,459 Times in 749 Posts

If your newest Valk has some turn before it fades and your Firebird starts fading right out of your hand, I would look at a lighter weight SPD and throw some high thumbers with it for a couple weeks. I have only tried the Avenger in Z, but it was super beefy from what I remember. Not sure how much less beef an ESP would have. I don't know if you've thrown this year's Ace Race disc, but it seems like it would be a fairly decent option as well.

Overall it looks like a fairly well balanced bag.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM
*Legalize It*

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

i forgot i have that 150 factory second gummy s-pd in the trunk... as far as i know its just a normal s-pd not the test config or anything
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian. View Post
i forgot i have that 150 factory second gummy s-pd in the trunk... as far as i know its just a normal s-pd not the test config or anything
I remember that thing! Little light though, kinda want to keep my distance drivers in the same ball park for consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
If your newest Valk has some turn before it fades and your Firebird starts fading right out of your hand, I would look at a lighter weight SPD and throw some high thumbers with it for a couple weeks. I have only tried the Avenger in Z, but it was super beefy from what I remember. Not sure how much less beef an ESP would have. I don't know if you've thrown this year's Ace Race disc, but it seems like it would be a fairly decent option as well.

Overall it looks like a fairly well balanced bag.
Never tried the Z's briefly had an ESP that was pretty beefy. I think they start somewhere in the same ball park but ESP breaks in a little quicker. Will probably go with an SPD. It'll also be good for longer sidearms, since my form is awful for distance FH.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Niced 19 Times in 7 Posts

oh snap, you gonna go back to being mr. wizard?

it does sound like you are looking for either a ppd, an x avenger or an olf though. in terms of avengers, they are pretty damn similar to pds. i liked the fact the esp avengers were more available in lighter weights then spds, also that every esp avenger ive felt has been the same. as you prob know some ppds are soft, some firm. no big deal if you live near a shop, but can be a pain if ordering and looking for one or the other.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE master View Post
oh snap, you gonna go back to being mr. wizard?

it does sound like you are looking for either a ppd, an x avenger or an olf though. in terms of avengers, they are pretty damn similar to pds. i liked the fact the esp avengers were more available in lighter weights then spds, also that every esp avenger ive felt has been the same. as you prob know some ppds are soft, some firm. no big deal if you live near a shop, but can be a pain if ordering and looking for one or the other.
Haha Jake, you might be one of the only ones to remember me by my original screen name. Might see if I can change it back now.

I think the PIAS about 30 minutes away might have some ESP Avengers but can't remember the weights/colors. Hmmm I might go with an Avenger in that case since there doesn't seem to be a lot of variations to look out for as opposed to PD's and especially OLF's lol