Old 04-06-2014, 01:12 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Disc Advice for High School Program

I have some funds to buy discs for the disc golf club we started at a high school this year. I have access to discs from Innova, Discraft, Lattitude, Prodigy, and Dynamic Discs. I am buying for high school age kids (14-18), both boys and girls...nearly all are beginners. I am only going to buy the higher grade, longer lasting plastics...so no dx or equivalent plastics.

1) Which disc manufacturer would you recommend?

2) Which specific discs do you believe are best for the range of students listed above?

3) Would you recommend avoiding any of those brands?

4) Although I haven't thrown any blizzard plastics, my gut tells me that they might be my best bet...thoughts on blizzard plastics for this age group?

Thanks for any input you have for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

Blizzard discs tend to be too fast for beginners. As far as I know the slowest disc is speed 10 (Beast). Starlite plastic might be a little more reasonable with something like a Teebird.

It depends on what you're goals are. Actually get the kids learning proper mechanics or just chucking?

I wouldn't rule out baseline plastic for putters.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 222 Times in 97 Posts

Comets.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

There are many models that are available in 150 class weights that aren't infused with bubbles. I understand your desire for durability, hence no baseline plastic, but keep in mind that bubble plastic gets really nasty scuffs of the discs but abrasive surfaces like concrete. Blizzard in my experience runs the gamut in terms of stability within the same mold.

I'd suggest fairway drivers be your fastest, given that kids might not even be able to grip a driver comfortably. Diamonds are great, and are speed 7.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurhuckleberry View Post
1) Which disc manufacturer would you recommend?
All - but not just one. Let the kids know that there is more than one company.

What are the kids supposed to do in the program? I would say get a mix of putters...
Old 04-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 14
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

I think you should buy whichever brand will get you the most discs for your money. The only reason I could see going towards a specific brand is if the kids will only have access to 1 brand at a local retailer. If that is the case, it would make sense to purchase discs that they could find locally.

I would focus on buying mostly lighter weight (140-160g, or starlite maybe?), stable to understable discs. I would not recommend buying any high speed discs (10+speed) as they will inhibit learning proper form. Since most, if not all blizzard discs are higher speed drivers, I would avoid them. I would also buy a small amount of "advanced" discs in the standard weight range (160-175g) for the kids that outgrow the lighter understable discs.

Disc suggestions:

Innova: Aviar/mako/leopard with a couple rocs and TL's for advanced throwers
Discraft: meteor/comet/xs with a couple buzzz's and stalkers
Lattitude: L64 has a beginner lineup with the ruby, pearl, and diamond. Just add in a pure for putting and maybe some cores and some saints for advanced throwers
DD: Warden/fugitive/witness?? To be honest, I don't have enough experience with this company. Same goes with Prodigy.

Last edited by BC Product; 04-06-2014 at 02:26 AM. Reason: grammar edit
Old 04-06-2014, 03:32 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default re:

Thanks for the input thus far. As you can see, I don't really know that much about the technical aspects of the different disc types and that is why I came here for some advice. I appreciate the points made about blizzard plastics. My thinking right now is to buy a few of each brand in beginner friendly molds in their most durable plastics. I would love a few more specific recommendations for discs as I am not familiar with most discs from these brands. The lattitude beginner lineup mentioned sounds intriguing...do they make those in opto and gold plastic?

A little background for those who are interested:

Our "program" is not really a program at all. It is just a school club I started this year after some of my students showed an interest in learning to play when I brought my discs to throw around with them last year. Our town doesn't have a disc golf park, so this year we have taken 1 field trip to play on a nearby course (hopefully 1 or 2 more this spring), and we have two mobile baskets we drag out to a field and practice on. I just lend the students some of my discs and we go out and chuck them around. Occasionally we will go and putt outside my room. I also bought a cheap mini basket for my room.

Our club has sparked some interest in town and I will present a design and estimates for a mini course in a municipal park in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, we will soon have our own little course to play on.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 6
Niced 118 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurhuckleberry View Post
The lattitude beginner lineup mentioned sounds intriguing...do they make those in opto and gold plastic?
Yes they do. Maximum weight of these easy to use line discs is 159 grams and all of them are understable molds, meaning they're easier to throw far with less power, but are vulnerable in a headwind. What you should consider though, is that in putters the baseline plastics (DX etc.) are more popular because grip is important within 50 feet off the target. I'm sure most of us here use softer plastic in their main putters.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.9
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

Aviar/Mako3/Leopard

168-175 gram. I would go with GStar/Star. Would be excellent for beginners and work well for more advanced as well. You could stick to DX for Aviars though and be fine.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,112 Times in 746 Posts

http://www.edgediscgolf.org/