Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Sidearm technique with shoulder mobility problems?

Title pretty much says it; I'm hoping to get some feedback on developing a sidearm driving game as someone with a poor range of motion in my shoulder, and am curious if anybody else with shoulder issues has successfully developed a low impact sidearm throwing motion.

I've been playing for a long time, and aside from my first few months in the sport as a noob chucker I've basically been 100% backhand since I started taking the sport seriously, so almost 10 years now. I've been needing to develop a sidearm drive for a long time, but my backhand anny skills have gotten so good that its always been hard for me to force myself to work on a sidearm game. In addition to just not wanting to, I also have a pretty messed up shoulder that severely limits my range of motion, making a big windup sidearm pretty much impossible for me to do comfortably. I'm pretty sure that with my shoulder issues developing a bombing sidearm drive is out of the question, but it would really take my game to the next level if I could accurately sidearm reasonable drives in the '250-350 range.

I finally forced myself to do some sidearm only fieldwork the other day, and it was physically painful. I didn't ever try and blast anything, I was just trying to throw easy shots from 200-250, and even that hurt like crap. A little bit of that was muscle soreness from working neglected muscle groups in a motion they are not used to, but there was definitely more going on than that.

So does anyone have any advice on how to keep a sidearm from overly stressing a weak shoulder joint? Anybody ever worked through similar problems? How about some basic sidearm practice techniques?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,056 Times in 1,863 Posts

Quite a loaded question with little info/no video. Can you skip stones?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I have a bad shoulder from an old diving injury, doesn't effect my backhand, but forehand was painful. Things I learned trough trial and error were, I have to keep my elbow close to my body and only make a short straight reach back. I tried a blizzard disc thinking the lighter weight might help, but it hurts more than a max weight disk (maybe I need more weight resistance). In short, I'm just throwing an extended flick, not a full forehand. With some practice and taking it easy, I can throw 250' and that's all I need it for. I use forehand mostly for approach and up shots where needed and get out of trouble shots.

Start slow and short distance.

Without knowing what your injury is, I don't know if this may help.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 131
Niced 183 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto View Post
I have a bad shoulder from an old diving injury, doesn't effect my backhand, but forehand was painful. Things I learned trough trial and error were, I have to keep my elbow close to my body and only make a short straight reach back. I tried a blizzard disc thinking the lighter weight might help, but it hurts more than a max weight disk (maybe I need more weight resistance). In short, I'm just throwing an extended flick, not a full forehand. With some practice and taking it easy, I can throw 250' and that's all I need it for. I use forehand mostly for approach and up shots where needed and get out of trouble shots.

Without knowing what your injury is, I don't know if this may help.
Stable and slightly understable plastic will help get more distance throwing this way.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 100
Niced 74 Times in 33 Posts

Can you swing a baseball bat with no pain? If so you can throw a sidearm. I have a very good sidearm and I use it for most of my max distance drives. I've studied the mechanics of throwing a sidearm and with my background as a college baseball player, I've found that the mechanics of throwing a sidearm are very similar to the mechanics of hitting a baseball. Most people who throw sidearm and it causes them pain are using the small muscles in their shoulders rather than the larger muscle groups in the legs and hips to generate the power.

Look at some pictures of major league baseball players at the point of contact and really good sidearm players (Wysocki, Big Jerm, Joey Lutz). You will find that the mechanics are very similar.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Quite a loaded question with little info/no video. Can you skip stones?
Sorry, I'll try and give you guys some more information. I don't think a video would really be all that helpful as I'm just trying to find a comfortable throw right now, my mechanics are very much in their infancy.

I hope this makes sense. Basically the pain and range of motion problem comes into play when I try to lead with my elbow, trying to tuck the elbow in "ahead" of the disc so to speak. I simply cannot comfortably do that, and that is something that looks to be a pretty prevalent part of the mechanics from the videos I've looked at. He's a screenshot of Avery. I don't have the range of motion in my shoulder to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avery sidearm.jpg (80.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto View Post
In short, I'm just throwing an extended flick, not a full forehand. With some practice and taking it easy, I can throw 250' and that's all I need it for. I use forehand mostly for approach and up shots where needed and get out of trouble shots.

I think this is exactly the ticket, for now at least
Old 01-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 172
Niced 547 Times in 254 Posts

I have a jacked up shoulder, too. Used to throw sidearm up to 300', but sidearm aggravated old shoulder injuries. After healing up I re-worked my sidearm using mostly wrist and fingers to propel the disc, keeping my elbow pretty much pinned to my side. With practice, wristy putter sidearms can go an easy 150-200'.

I mostly sidearm putters and mids, but I have slowly started adding a longer reach-back. Don't know whether I will regain past distance, but even using sidearm for putters and mids 250' and in is pretty useful on the course.

mfcastillo17 makes an excellent point about how to avoid straining small shoulder muscles. Sidearm is nice to have, but isn't worth tearing up your shoulder.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 AM

Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow! Great thread. I'm a newbie and began throwing sidearm much farther than backhand, but shoulder was killing me. Basically stopped throwing sidearm all together until shoulder pain goes away. Looked online and found some videos of shoulder strengthening "band" exercises and they seem to be helping relieve the pain after a few days, but have not tried throwing in over a week to see if I can get away from the pain.

Have a pretty high pain tolerance and thought I could just work through the pain, but not being able to hang my arm at my side and constant waking up at night with pain told me I can no longer do that. Getting old sucks! Will be 52 next week, and need to start thinking like I am no longer young.

Can someone elaborate on the throwing technique using the larger muscles of the shoulder?

Thanks,

Old 01-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.9
Courses Played: 23
Niced 9 Times in 6 Posts

I'm in pretty much the same boat. After each shoulder injury....and there have been 5 so far...my sidearm was what had to be worked back up. I have very little reach back movement left. So, to counter that, I had to develop a bit of an X-step type of motion. Took some practice, but it works and I don't hurt myself. I got them back out to the 260-280 range and that is all I need.