Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP: Backhand tips, suggestions, fixes etc. Video included

I have been struggling lately with my backhand and have only been doing it for a short while. As I know there are probably a hundred things I'm doing wrong, I was wondering if there is anyone that can give me specific tips and criticisms. I can't seem to generate much power and have trouble with tight shots(dealing with accuracy). Here is the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jFDb31WNedo

Any tips would help!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 93 Times in 46 Posts

Your reach back looks to be wrapping around your body, forcing the disc away from your body, pulling through in an arc. Shorten the reach back for now and work on pulling the disc straight through. Also your body weight seems to be thrown groundward during the hit, which has led to compensatory nose angle issues. Your power, speed and footwork is there. Probly about a month away from consistent 400 ft drives.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:38 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyfreetilinfinity View Post
Your reach back looks to be wrapping around your body, forcing the disc away from your body, pulling through in an arc. Shorten the reach back for now and work on pulling the disc straight through. Also your body weight seems to be thrown groundward during the hit, which has led to compensatory nose angle issues. Your power, speed and footwork is there. Probly about a month away from consistent 400 ft drives.
Thanks a ton for this tips. That makes a lot of sense, especially with the reach back. And I sure hope so! And what exactly does throwing "groundward" mean?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:52 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Look at both your arms before you pull through your shot. They are crossed over each other, tightening and compressing your shoulders/upper body. Your right shoulder should come back like it does and your left shoulder should somewhat mimic the right shoulder, which would be putting your left should tucked further back behind you. I feel you're turned in your run up very early, for a few steps you're already turned. Might want to turn a bit later in the run up. I myself turn while the X is happening with my feet so after they come out of their X my feet are planted, upper body is setup, and then I drive through. Never saw anyone hold their arm up like that, not sure how that effects the throw.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

Get your reach back looking more traditional, with your arm down. As it is, you are hugging yourself on the reachback and then the pull through. You'll want to not only reach back with your right hand/disc, but also get your left shoulder blade towards the target. It's easier to do this with your arm down.

Also reach back wider to prevent yourself from pulling the disc around your body...which is the "hugging" yourself I referred to.

Your balance is very leaned backwards (towards your butt I am meaning)...what disc are you throwing? I am going to guess this is to compensate for a bit of nose up release as well as an overstable disc, trying to force it to fly straighter.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That also makes sense. I do feel like I am hugging my body on the reach back, and I've felt I have always leaned back, causing unintentional hyzers and elevated drives. But when I go to correct it, I feel I lean too far forward and fall off to the right causing me to roll over on even overstable discs. Not sure what the best way to correct it or what I can practice, whether throwing or at home, to help with that problem. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,076 Times in 1,874 Posts

First off you are starting way too backward and rotating open before you plant. You don't want to hit your max reachback until the front foot lands, so you have rhythm and loading into the backswing. Secondly if you are going to do the rear arm over the head, I'd suggest going full circle with it like Linus at 1:06 below. There are a few different ways to use the off arm, as demonstrated below.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the tip! I can see that through my video and can feel when I do it that I am opening up too soon, losing significant power. I guess I havnt quite found the right timing and need to work on it. And I have also been trying to get out of the habit of raising that back arm and going under it. I feel I am going off the level plane when I do that. Appreciate the advice!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,097 Times in 640 Posts

Duct tape that left arm to the side of your body until you no longer know it's there while you're driving.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:45 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw a video that had a cool suggestion to keep the left arm near your body. Just take a second disc and put it in your left arm pit. While you throw you need to keep your arm down in order to keep the disc in place in your arm pit. It's okay to let your disc fall out at the very end of your throw because you should step through with your left foot and let your left arm follow through as well.