Old 06-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 507 Times in 210 Posts
Red face Throw Height

This morning I was throwing in a baseball field and working on keeping the nose down. I had a lot of low, straight lasers that landed before fading. For example, I was throwing my Champ Teebird out over 300' around 7' off the ground, straight ahead (a pretty good throw for me at this stage.) I'm assuming some more height would have yielded more distance and the usual fade at the end of the flight.

I found the following thread discussing height of throws:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ead.php?t=1064

My question is, how high do you aim to get these heights? If you are trying to throw 20' high, do you aim for like 15' and let the disc lift up? I always seem to get stalled flights aiming throws higher, which is why I keep practicing nose down throws. Guessing a lot of this comes with experience or trial and error. Appreciate any tips on the subject.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,072 Times in 1,870 Posts

I aim straight through the apex. My guess is that you are not taking into account that the nose of the disc changes during flight. The theory is that for any type of distance shot(RHBH) you want to throw the disc out to the left and have the disc to turnover so the right side of the disc is down, so as the disc changes direction the new nose of the disc is down relative to the trajectory and doesn't stall out, but fades out straighter and longer instead of to the left and dumping out.

https://www.discgolfreview.com/resou...s/angles.shtml

https://www.discgolfreview.com/resou...ncelines.shtml

Niced: (2)
Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 359 Times in 246 Posts

This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Mike C's upcoming distance tutorial video. He throws so dang high and far. I tried to be like Mike in the field the other day and it didn't go well

SW, thanks for the pro tip re: aiming to the left, etc.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 248 Times in 169 Posts

I think the more distance and nose angle control you get, the higher you have to aim. When I started, I just aimed at the target, and the disc flew way higher than where I aimed. I know now that was just crumby nose angle. Now I aim closer to what Seabas is saying; aim for the spot where you think the needs to be to work the line you want it on. The hardest part on this is reading wind and how it will effect the flight of the disc as it pertains to flight path. I think the hardest wind to determine this is right to left (for RHBH) if you want to throw a flex line.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 359 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I think the more distance and nose angle control you get, the higher you have to aim. When I started, I just aimed at the target, and the disc flew way higher than where I aimed. I know now that was just crumby nose angle. Now I aim closer to what Seabas is saying; aim for the spot where you think the needs to be to work the line you want it on. The hardest part on this is reading wind and how it will effect the flight of the disc as it pertains to flight path. I think the hardest wind to determine this is right to left (for RHBH) if you want to throw a flex line.
Ha, yeah I learned quickly the danger in exposing underside of disc in strong right to left crosswind if trying flex line. I typically throw something flippy on hyzer in that scenario if hole allows it.

Yeah, for me, the aiming thing is more intuitive on the course but for whatever reason I didn't really think about or make connection of nose angle changing and the idea of manipulating that on a pure distance throw in wide open field.

I also, at least at times, still fall in the crappy nose angle control camp. Part of it I believe stems from my pull line. At times I accidentally start my pull too low and finish high so I've been trying to focus on straighter pull.

The other issue is I'm still working on consistently getting full use of my legs. When they are fully involved in the throw and I manage to get up on front foot, obviously one throws less up and with more power.

But even when my form is relatively decent, I know I leave pure distance on the table, simply not knowing that balance of pull line/aim height vs nose control OR lack experience in hitting apex on a higher arch and yet keeping nose down. I look forward to experimenting with aim the left lines per links that Sidewinder left for us.