Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a quick update today guys.

Got out of the house early this morning wanted to beat the sun heat today. Did those drills the elephant walk one was worried that I was anticipating the step/throw/ follow through. Probably needs some more work, but had a chance to experiment with the other drills I found yesterday as well.

Checked the footage and didn't see much difference however I left the field ran some errands and tried to think about body position and how to get the shoulder down more.

Went back out and felt like I finally found a bit more leverage on the elbow getting it through and out and really feeling that whip at the end of my fingers on release. It felt kind of weird reminded me of watching Eric Oakley how he had that low to high reach back but swinging the disc down over my toes really got my spine over my rear hip and deeper shoulder rotation even though it didn't really feel like I was rotated over my hips together as I thought was how it went.

Then pulling through tried to get the lead shoulder down as much as I thought needed (I still think it looks a bit high in the video) and pulling through.

However after a half hour of spinning on my heel last night in front of the mirror I can see that needs extra attention and my stance here at least is dead up and down peg leg with no bend until I start the backswing. Also the follow through on that leg still being up and down is atrocious but I can work on those two items unless I need more attention to something else swing wise.

Thanks for the help and if I'm way off on this please let me know
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2019, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,042 Times in 1,854 Posts

Looks and sounds like some progress. If you watch my one leg drill you will notice my rear heel spins down to the ground in the backswing, so it allows my pelvis to shift behind the front leg without the weight really leaving the front foot, there will be some weight on the rear foot/but it's mostly from the G-forces of the backswing and just providing leverage to get back upright on the front leg.

You have a nice hill behind you, go throw from there and try to pretend cut some tall grass with your disc swinging through.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

You're way more centered with your shoulders rotating around your spine, spine on the leg. That is much better.

Got to let the lower body counterweight a bit more, like SW is describing with how his rear leg rotates during his backswing because of his setup and tilt.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys great advice.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the rear leg toe is still trying to drive a little bit of hip action still but the rotation/swing pendulum effect felt way more smoother and fluid than it had before.

The rear leg foot on the ground I did notice in the video but figured it was some higher level stuff to not worry about after looking back I realize now that the back leg allows for more fluid rear hip to allow the front hip to get more backwards turned and ready to use the Power move when your going to get the ground for leverage to start the shift. Since its not weighted during the drill it just rotates from toe to heel then the forward momentum should bring it up as the rear leg drives forward into the front leg and everts back behind?

I've tried using the slope out there for learning better weight shift to the front (diagonally) sort of like a weighted Hershhyzer drill but I was doing it all wrong tipping or not realizing that the plane of motion would be down on a flat release and getting frustrated thinking everything was burning into the ground which is entirely possible if you are tipping over forwards.

Also not sure how to best spin on the heel learn this I believe I read somewhere putting toes up in the shoe would not allow you to spin on the toe but that sounds...risky maybe to injury?

Sadly with the rain tonight my practice field there maybe a bit swamped so relocate to sounder ground however I will be back out there tomorrow, different location albeit.

Thanks again for your patience and guidance.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:40 AM
* Ace Member *

I think you got it or close. The shift is linear between the feet, so if your stance is diagonal, your weightshift pressure(CoP) should be diagonal as well which is linear between the feet and then you can rotate after you shift or re-center. You have to shift the majority of weight/shift your center before you can rotate on either leg in backswing or forward swing.

Lots of good info/drills in these to help explain and show how to move...
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133543
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...9&postcount=85

If you are balanced on the front leg start to finish, you should not really have to worry about your foot pivot, it will happen as the swing momentum goes over the foot and pulls you/CoG into the finish like braced Olympic Hammer Thrower.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys quick update today.

Wasn't able to get out yesterday due to rain, complications with the field I wanted to use.

This morning I feel slightly more encouraged about some things, others not so much.

My shoes are getting beat up on the heel for one thing, should be expected I suppose with cheap ones on a budget. The inside heel is detaching from the surrounding material so I'm going to assume that the rotation is more centered over that coming out of the swing into the follow through.

I tried to stay hard centered on ball of foot and heel, imagining octopus suction cups on my mid foot still figuring out the rear foot motion, toe pivot to heel and then toe point to eversion but I'll get there.

My rear leg looks higher so possibly it is everting better not sure how to gauge this. It feels more pulled out away from me like it is countering my forward momentum. But I'm not getting that "pinched" up feeling in my thighs maybe because its weightless still doing the one leg drill or I need better shift forward. I am working on the wall butt swivel move drill today and gave a few drills a good work over yesterday as well despite the difficulties. I do find it hard to get into the Move position on one foot really feel that right hip drop and start the shift forward.

My swing bounce though is alarming me. Possibly not enough shoulder lower to under chin or some high back swing to low swing looks like the disc is passing closer to my hip. Possibly setting up to high or I sometimes try to watch (inadvertently) the disc gets my head up before the spine brings it up via spiral forward.

It didn't feel as leveraged today as last time I posted, but if technique improves should the effort be easier I suppose more efficient bio mechanics since your body says, Hey we've done this a few times before I know how to do what he wants from me.

Thanks for the advice you guys provide and the time out of your day for helping us improve, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,602 Times in 1,650 Posts

I think you need a little lateral movement, watch in SW's one leg video how his body does move slightly away from and toward the target. As well this will help with getting you a better transition from the top of the backswing forward, you kind of pause momentarily at the top of the backswing and then turn forward all at once with the arm not lagging that slight bit.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

An update today, got some work in. Been working those door frame/ butt swivel drills all weekend mostly during commercial breaks if tv is on, randomly throughout the day when I find a few minutes.

Basically want to know if I am doing them correctly. I have my butt I'd say inch and a half below the bottom of my spine thrust into the edge of the island flush with the edge. Slightly staggered feet, back foot is almost under the counter as there is a lip. Reach back/ backswing, wipe the left cheek going outside then on the swing portion pushing forward sliding against the back of the counter. I feel like if I keep my arm loose I end up in this position which looks correct for swinging through to me, I'd like an opinion on this. Really trying to feel that lateral hip move forward/ diagonal since I can't move them back at all.

I feel pressure the whole time through the motion where my fanny never leaves the counter edge/face just more pressure on the right cheek I'd say flush less on the rear. My foot is becoming dragged into center (not sure if you can see this) so setup looks correct with the shift of the hips I think.

Throws today were iffy, still feel like I get a lot of leverage sometimes other times not. Definitely off my toe for the rotation portion I think the shoulder needs more dip in it and I am working the weightless back foot sort of pivot to heel to toe to see the counter butt/leg to swing move. May need more extension of the arm to really get the leg out in space behind me.

Do you guys feel tempo is extremely important, what I mean by this is doing the grass swing cut drill I am thinking swing - cut - swing - cut - swing - cut in my head almost like a tempo of a metronome or grandfather clock. The swing would be the top of the arc moving away from center and the cut would be coming down through vertical with the grass as if the disc was a circular blade and I was going to cut through an inch off the ground ( on a slope).

So on my regular swing I think, swing - pop or some other word to help me feel like I should be in the power pocket or for the moment the arm is fully extended at the top of the arc of the swing. Wondering if this is a bad habit to rely on or would help not be early/ late with the hips, arm, etc. Just help keep it smooth and flowing. But don't want to rely on this if it screws up something later on down the road.

Thanks for your advice again appreciate your patience in my slowness to understand concepts sometimes.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 630 Times in 312 Posts

It looks like you are rotating the right hip way too much in the back swing and spinning around on it in the forward swing. Try keeping it more neutral and use the left hip to initiate the backswing and forward swing.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah your hips are just spinning, there's no shift happening before you rotate in either direction. You are locking out your rear knee in the backswing which is a reverse pivot of sorts, you can't balance when the knee locks out. You mirror that knee lockout on the front leg in the forward swing.