Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,881 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Fair enough, I'm biased as I will never get a PDGA Membership after they screwed me.

Injured as a spotter during a high profile event and the Executive Director of the PDGA at the time promised they would take care of my medical bills.

I sent in the appropriate paperwork and they denied it.

Didn't have the time or money to contest it.

The point is, I'm not the only person who likes to play in tournaments, but doesn't want to be a member of the PDGA.
But by playing sanctioned events, you are essentially doing it partially on my dime. As JC pointed out, most sanctioned events make use of the PDGA insurance. In many instances, you would not be give the opportunity to play any events without the PDGA.

I am sorry to hear about you getting injured.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 204 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
.. Just to be clear I never said the bolded part..
Yeah, no worries, didn't mean to imply you did. Someone else did I think, but I can't multiquote on mobile, and I wanted to respond to the idea.

Quote:
...and offered two different scenarios for non-members to play in sanctioned events.
Both of those scenarios deter the interested newcomer to the sport. Playing am1 or Pro is a punishment for the newb. Age protected excludes the under 40 noob.

And 'put them in their own class' has a bunch of noobs wandering around unsure of the rules and etiquette, feeling like they're not allowed to play with the big kids.

This is from my perspective in a small relatively young scene. Other more developed scenes may well have greater opportunities for the noob.

But let's not deter visitors to our realm, when we don't even know the size of the dragon we're trying to slay.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
But by playing sanctioned events, you are essentially doing it partially on my dime. As JC pointed out, most sanctioned events make use of the PDGA insurance. In many instances, you would not be give the opportunity to play any events without the PDGA.
Thank you brother, for the dime. I'm another who will never be a PDGA member.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2020, 08:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,969 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post

I am sorry to hear about you getting injured.
FWIW, non-members pay the $10 fee primarily for insurance reasons. It's a temporary membership so they're covered under the PDGA's policy. So they're not really doing anything on "your dime".
Old 01-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 137 Times in 79 Posts

I would be fine with this if PDGA members could not play club events.........Nothing like having your touring pro buddy showed up at a club event to take all the money from, oh say Cedar Hills Summer Doubles.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
It currently does this. You have to be current to play A tiers or higher. I would like to see it be C tiers or higher and only allow non-members to play leagues.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,881 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
FWIW, non-members pay the $10 fee primarily for insurance reasons. It's a temporary membership so they're covered under the PDGA's policy. So they're not really doing anything on "your dime".
Sorry, I assumed that the 10 bucks went right into the tournament. I did not know it was sent into the PDGA.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,097 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
I just don't see how the PDGA can claim to have ratings protected divisions and turnaround and allow non-members with no rating to play in them.

Yep. Even though TDs DO have the tools to verify ratings in previous events of non members to make sure they are playing the correct division, it's rarely done unless someone brings up a player to the TD.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,209 Times in 472 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post

Yep. Even though TDs DO have the tools to verify ratings in previous events of non members to make sure they are playing the correct division, it's rarely done unless someone brings up a player to the TD.
Them damn lazy TDs.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:27 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,800 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
I just don't see how the PDGA can claim to have ratings protected divisions and turnaround and allow non-members with no rating to play in them....No rating, you don't qualify for those divisions but here are some that are not ratings protected you can choose from.
This is a TD option, not a PDGA call. Non current PDGA members without a PDGA rating have no "rights" to play in any ratings break am division. TDs are allowed to tell the player they need to play in the top am division for their age or open/pro for their age if they wish to enter.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post

What if the player is using an alias?