#21  
Old 01-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,233
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts
Default

The State Parks in my area have loner discs just they are not the best to steal but are in a bag with the name of the State park on the bag. The discs have the name of the state park in them with a stamp used for the mail stuff but using an ink that will not come off with rubbing alcohol to make it harder to steal.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 AM
Billipo Billipo is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Courses Played: 54
Posts: 189
Niced 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Great Feedback.

I think we will go with a one disc (all round beginner friendly) since the program is geared for introducing new players to disc golf. The park office also has a selection of other discs for purchase for those who decide to pursue the sport.

The one disc will minimize risk of theft, require a smaller deposit ($5? W/ ID), easier to carry during play, and less investment into the program.

We may vary the chosen disc at each park we
try the program so I am interested in suggested discs.

For Pymatuning, as a little bit longer, but skill appropriate @ red tees course , I am leaning towards a DGA 150 class Squall. This is a friendly disc with good distance potential. The park is ordering a spare basket so a small disc order add is convenient.

I had used the squalls in the past for our Senior Olympics for new players and they worked great. Even our more seasoned players liked them!

They also are stock printed on perimeter of the disc with a big space to add "RANGE DISC" on the upper and lower fight plane.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 PM
glassila's Avatar
glassila glassila is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Calumet, MI
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 357
Niced 67 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblambert View Post
How about making it self serve? Kinda like those free mini libraries that look like oversized mailboxes. Those are "take a book, leave a book". Yours could be "take a disc, return a disc". Instructions on the side could explain how the honor system works and a warning about bad karma for those who take without returning and good karma for those leaving extra discs. It could be a simple box with a door on a pole. If you put them at multiple courses, discs could be borrowed from one box and returned to a different one. You might have some theft, but it could be that more discs are donated than stolen.
I may give this idea a try at my course. I have loads of discs that I would put in the box and I know a lot of players that would contribute as well. I'm thinking putters, Sharks, Valkryies etc in cheap plastics. I really don't think there would be much theft, certainly not from regular players. There would definitely be some loss here and there due to lost discs.
I think I would allow the player to take up to 3 discs. Maybe even write big numbers on the discs in Sharpie...1-putters, 2-mid ranges, 3-drivers and suggest the person take a 1 and a 2 and a 3.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:42 PM
elmexdela elmexdela is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Courses Played: 225
Posts: 8,541
Niced 2,195 Times in 1,244 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billipo View Post
Great Feedback.

I think we will go with a one disc (all round beginner friendly) since the program is geared for introducing new players to disc golf. The park office also has a selection of other discs for purchase for those who decide to pursue the sport.

The one disc will minimize risk of theft, require a smaller deposit ($5? W/ ID), easier to carry during play, and less investment into the program.

We may vary the chosen disc at each park we
try the program so I am interested in suggested discs.

For Pymatuning, as a little bit longer, but skill appropriate @ red tees course , I am leaning towards a DGA 150 class Squall. This is a friendly disc with good distance potential. The park is ordering a spare basket so a small disc order add is convenient.

I had used the squalls in the past for our Senior Olympics for new players and they worked great. Even our more seasoned players liked them!

They also are stock printed on perimeter of the disc with a big space to add "RANGE DISC" on the upper and lower fight plane.
im still failing to see the purpose of the id

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:55 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,098
Niced 1,888 Times in 815 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
I may give this idea a try at my course. I have loads of discs that I would put in the box and I know a lot of players that would contribute as well. I'm thinking putters, Sharks, Valkryies etc in cheap plastics. I really don't think there would be much theft, certainly not from regular players. There would definitely be some loss here and there due to lost discs.
I think I would allow the player to take up to 3 discs. Maybe even write big numbers on the discs in Sharpie...1-putters, 2-mid ranges, 3-drivers and suggest the person take a 1 and a 2 and a 3.
I give away at least a dozen discs a year anyway. Between tournament CTP's or beginning gifts, I think most tournament players would still come out ahead. I would think anyone in charge of a course, looking for loaner discs could hit up the local players and quickly gather discs for free.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,098
Niced 1,888 Times in 815 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
im still failing to see the purpose of the id
I am guessing the only answer is a scare tactic. Make the borrower believe you could keep the ID?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:55 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,233
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts
Default

If the Course has water on one of the holes, a disc like a Dragon might work, another good one is the Lighing #2 Driver. The Hydra is the last and not the best choice as it is a odd Magnet style rim putter that is more OS then the Magnet and Clutch putters. It would have been better to stick with the Bulldog for a water putter with its Wizard like putter rim that could float on water as the rim lends itself to driving better.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-13-2020, 02:11 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,233
Niced 900 Times in 748 Posts
Default

For the above post why I would recommend a water disc is that players will then have disc lost in water in the first round especially if they know just enough about disc golf, that there are water floating discs and then throw a disc like a DX Shark or Stingray thinking the name of disc makes it a floater disc. I know I did, not paying attention to my uncle who was saying the Rubber Putter I had was a floating disc as it was well under the 172 gram max weight the disc can be to float well when he gave me two disc he had found a DX Stingray at 170 grams and a Rubber Putter at 166 or 168 grams, the weight label had faded so I wrote in Sharpie 166 grams due to how light the disc was.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:16 AM
wolfhaley's Avatar
wolfhaley wolfhaley is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marshfield, WI
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 392
Niced 325 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The State Parks in my area have loner discs just they are not the best to steal but are in a bag with the name of the State park on the bag. The discs have the name of the state park in them with a stamp used for the mail stuff but using an ink that will not come off with rubbing alcohol to make it harder to steal.
Next time you try to rub the ink off try nail polish remover, probably works better
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:28 AM
wolfhaley's Avatar
wolfhaley wolfhaley is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marshfield, WI
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 392
Niced 325 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
For the above post why I would recommend a water disc is that players will then have disc lost in water in the first round especially if they know just enough about disc golf, that there are water floating discs and then throw a disc like a DX Shark or Stingray thinking the name of disc makes it a floater disc. I know I did, not paying attention to my uncle who was saying the Rubber Putter I had was a floating disc as it was well under the 172 gram max weight the disc can be to float well when he gave me two disc he had found a DX Stingray at 170 grams and a Rubber Putter at 166 or 168 grams, the weight label had faded so I wrote in Sharpie 166 grams due to how light the disc was.
I do the same thing. I throw a Westside Pine. Yep. Swedish Trilogy. This one had a bad upbringing, so despite the fact it's a pine, it wants nothing to do with it's childhood and parents. It avoids pines at all costs. It even tattooed itself with an oak tree.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disc Advice for High School Program imurhuckleberry Discs 40 04-20-2014 12:33 PM
Youth Program for Disc Golf turbosteve General Disc Golf Chat 4 03-14-2014 03:18 PM
A good program on the computer to help design disc stamps??? DarrellR General Disc Golf Chat 12 10-29-2012 04:56 PM
High School Disc Golf Program EagleZT General Disc Golf Chat 5 06-07-2011 03:13 PM
Best disc for loaner program Billipo Discs 17 07-07-2010 08:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.