Old 01-14-2020, 03:45 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 76 Times in 38 Posts
Default STL Winters - Which courses hold up?

Hey all, I'm wondering where you guys play when it gets muddy and even a bit snowy. Carrollton stays in pretty good shape I've noticed. Endicott can dry out to be reasonable fairly quickly, but not ideal. How do Logan and Quail Ridge hold up in these conditions? I've never played them. Just curious which courses are preferable in winter. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2020, 11:20 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,886 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Hey all, I'm wondering where you guys play when it gets muddy and even a bit snowy. Carrollton stays in pretty good shape I've noticed. Endicott can dry out to be reasonable fairly quickly, but not ideal. How do Logan and Quail Ridge hold up in these conditions? I've never played them. Just curious which courses are preferable in winter. Thanks!
I mean right now they are all going to be bad, that was a monsoon that just went through.

JB holds water there between 1 and 9 and the low-lying area across the road can get mushy but it's usually OK. Endicott has no major issues. Sioux/Briscoe doesn't have many issues.

Willmore and Unger get wet and stay wet; White Birch and Bicentennial Park just have too much up and down to play when they are muddy. Other than those four, nothing really stand out for me on the muddy front.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 46
Niced 17 Times in 15 Posts

Of the major courses in the area, I concur that Willmore blows and Unger, depending on the amount of rain, is unplayable.

I wouldn't try Quail, lots of muddy hillsides. New Melle is getting better. Sioux and Briscoe should be fine. Hole 12 at Endicott is a nightmare with the right amount of rain. Same for the tee area shared by 4 and 6.

Except for the aforementioned area between 9 and 10 (and the muddy hills on 3 and 4), JB holds up fairly well.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 61
Niced 166 Times in 49 Posts

3 Putt is right, we did just get a monsoon, with 2-4 inches piled on to that, so pretty much every area course is going to be a little on the muddy side. But, with that being said, some courses certainly do hold up better than others. Plus we just got hit with a spout of decent temperatures and the snow has melted.

Carrollton is probably the best course to play after rain snow. The course sits in an old neighborhood which makes for solid drainage. Outside of Carrollton, you can't really go wrong with playing Sioux after a heavy downpour. Maybe not the greatest course to play when it is covered in snow, but the course is pretty much all grass and there's not much of a mess underneath the baskets.

La Vista Park in Godfrey just got installed not all that long ago. Even though it does not have concrete tee pads (yet), it is not that bad considering all the rain/snow we got. Most of the teeing areas are fine, but you may have to move over a foot or 2 to find some solid grass. There is a bunch of mulch laid down which makes it easy to walk through paths, although there are a couple of tough spots.

I just played out there yesterday, and all and all, it really was not quite that bad. Might just find myself back out there later today!

Niced: (1)
Old 01-15-2020, 12:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDARMY View Post
Of the major courses in the area, I concur that Willmore blows and Unger, depending on the amount of rain, is unplayable.

I wouldn't try Quail, lots of muddy hillsides. New Melle is getting better. Sioux and Briscoe should be fine. Hole 12 at Endicott is a nightmare with the right amount of rain. Same for the tee area shared by 4 and 6.

Except for the aforementioned area between 9 and 10 (and the muddy hills on 3 and 4), JB holds up fairly well.
I forgot about Logan; Logan has that one huge hillside on the back and the spot between holes 1-2 never, ever, EVER dries out. I've never played it when it was really wet, but I'm willing to bet it's not a treat.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks guys, this is all the excuse I need to go play Sioux Passage's awesome front 9 again and try out Briscoe. But not Sioux's back 9, because my arm isn't made out of whatever the heck kind of cyborg material is required to have fun up there (though 17 & 18 are really cool).

And you all saved me a trip to check out Willmore in the slop, since I was going to gamble on that.

Carrollton I can confirm holds up exceptionally well to weather. I've played in & after heavy rain and snow there, it's just fine with some sturdy waterproof shoes or light boots.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:35 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Thanks guys, this is all the excuse I need to go play Sioux Passage's awesome front 9 again and try out Briscoe. But not Sioux's back 9, because my arm isn't made out of whatever the heck kind of cyborg material is required to have fun up there (though 17 & 18 are really cool).

And you all saved me a trip to check out Willmore in the slop, since I was going to gamble on that.

Carrollton I can confirm holds up exceptionally well to weather. I've played in & after heavy rain and snow there, it's just fine with some sturdy waterproof shoes or light boots.
C'mon, man. Play the back nine. Once you drag yourself all the way up to the tee for #16 you get the combination of the great view and the lightheaded effect from the oxygen deprivation; it's the closest you can get to the feeling of scaling Everest while frolfing in the Lou.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:01 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
C'mon, man. Play the back nine. Once you drag yourself all the way up to the tee for #16 you get the combination of the great view and the lightheaded effect from the oxygen deprivation; it's the closest you can get to the feeling of scaling Everest while frolfing in the Lou.
Ha! The walk was definitely the best part. But my arm was toooooaaaasssst. Very scenic out there, and some of the neighbors had wood fires going that smelled amazing.