Old 01-19-2020, 01:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 339 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Okay, on to stability. A stable disc is one that holds the line you put it on because it fights both the natural inclination to turn over with a high rotational speed (and this gives it "HSS" or High Speed Stability) as well as the disc's natural inclination to precess (fade) as it slows (which gives it "LSS" or Low Speed Stability).
Precession causes both turnover and fade. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "natural inclination."
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 331
Niced 316 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
a lot of people are wrong on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
FTFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
FTFY

to the OP, see what i mean?
maybe it's more like most people
Old 01-20-2020, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,102 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
it's a common misunderstanding that overstable means turning left, stable means straight, and understable means turning right.
I don't know, it's always been pretty black and white to me, even from the start when I took my first lesson years ago. I was told stable=straight, (rhbh) overstable=left, understable=right. It was also completely obvious throwing the disc softer increased overstability while throwing the disc harder increased understability. Never had anyone describe a disc's flight as "neutral". Maybe different terminology has evolved over the years in different markets.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 331
Niced 316 Times in 161 Posts

what seems black and white to me is that the term stable is meaningless if stability is a factor in the mechanics of a flying disc. if it's a factor, you either have more of it or less of it and therefore it is a continuum not a series of categories. one should be able to say "this disc has a less stable flight than that one" or "premium plastic is generally more stable than base plastic".

i realize that many just say "more overstable" or "more understable" instead and think stable means neutral and that might even be the majority of disc golfers but it sounds redundant and stupid to me. neutral is also a far more obvious and intuitive description than stable to describe a straight flight. and it also doesn't make sense to say that one neutral disc is "more overstable" or "more understable" than another when both discs are neither of those things.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,685 Times in 1,283 Posts

I think anyone reading this thread will be glad if they click this link. Best explanation of stability and how it relates to disc flight I've seen for the non-physicist.

In short: Spin is what gives a disc stability. Without spin, a disc launched at a given velocity won't achieve anything resembling flight. Doesn't matter if it's a Drone or a Stratus... launch a disc with zero spin and it basically becomes a not so aerodynamic projectile, and will flounder like a wounded duck.

"Stability" is a relative term, used to describe how much spin a given disc needs to achieve a stable flight at a given velocity. By stable flight, I mean the disc holds the line it's thrown on (at least until the speed slows to where fade takes over the flight). When thrown flat, a stable flight is straight. When thrown on a hyzer, a stable flight will go to the left (RHBH). Thrown on an anhyzer, a stable flight will go to the right (RHBH).

All other things being equal (and realistically, they seldom are):
Understable disc: requires more spin hold its line.
Overstable disc: requires less spin to hold its line.
Stable disc: falls somewhere between these two.

If a player gets a disc to turn at a certain velocity, it's understable at that combination of speed and spin.
If that player is able to increase spin, without changing speed, that same disc will achieve a straighter flight.

The rub is that we're all a bit different, and throw with differing amounts (or more correctly, ratios) of spin vs. speed.
Hence what seems stable to one person, may behave overstable (or understable) to other players.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-20-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,882 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I think anyone reading this thread will be glad if they click this link. Best explanation of stability and how it relates to disc flight I've seen for the non-physicist.

In short: Spin is what gives a disc stability. Without spin, a disc launched at a given velocity won't achieve anything resembling flight. Doesn't matter if it's a Drone or a Stratus... launch a disc with zero spin and it basically becomes a not so aerodynamic projectile, and will flounder like a wounded duck.

"Stability" is a relative term, used to describe how much spin a given disc needs to achieve a stable flight at a given velocity. By stable flight, I mean the disc holds the line it's thrown on (at least until the speed slows to where fade takes over the flight). When thrown flat, a stable flight is straight. When thrown on a hyzer, a stable flight will go to the left (RHBH). Thrown on an anhyzer, a stable flight will go to the right (RHBH).

All other things being equal (and realistically, they seldom are):
Understable disc: requires more spin hold its line.
Overstable disc: requires less spin to hold its line.
Stable disc: falls somewhere between these two.

If a player gets a disc to turn at a certain velocity, it's understable at that combination of speed and spin.
If that player is able to increase spin, without changing speed, that same disc will achieve a straighter flight.

The rub is that we're all a bit different, and throw with differing amounts (or more correctly, ratios) of spin vs. speed.
Hence what seems stable to one person, may behave overstable (or understable) to other players.
Good post.

And I might add, discs are all a little bit different. Same mold, same weight, same plastice....variances exist.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 204 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
That link gets the cause of turn and fade wrong. It repeats the old 'air moves faster over one side of the disc than the other' fallacy. The centre of lift being in-front or behind the centre of gravity of the disc essentially tries to push the nose up or down, and this force gets translated via gyroscopic precession into fade or turn.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,685 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
That link gets the cause of turn and fade wrong. It repeats the old 'air moves faster over one side of the disc than the other' fallacy. The centre of lift being in-front or behind the centre of gravity of the disc essentially tries to push the nose up or down, and this force gets translated via gyroscopic precession into fade or turn.
Understood. I referenced stability, and the part about understable requiring more spin, and overstable requiring less.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,213 Times in 475 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
to the OP, see what i mean?
maybe it's more like most people
You're all wrong.

Quote:
Definition of stable

(Entry 1 of 3)
1 : a building in which domestic animals are sheltered and fed especially : such a building having stalls or compartments

Old 01-24-2020, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 204 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Understood. I referenced stability, and the part about understable requiring more spin, and overstable requiring less.
Also understood

I just couldn't let the (incidental to your point) falsehood go without throwing a spear into it's heart.

Niced: (1)