#11  
Old 01-19-2020, 01:27 AM
Doofenshmirtz's Avatar
Doofenshmirtz Doofenshmirtz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,018
Niced 339 Times in 171 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Okay, on to stability. A stable disc is one that holds the line you put it on because it fights both the natural inclination to turn over with a high rotational speed (and this gives it "HSS" or High Speed Stability) as well as the disc's natural inclination to precess (fade) as it slows (which gives it "LSS" or Low Speed Stability).
Precession causes both turnover and fade. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "natural inclination."
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2020, 06:06 AM
dreadlock86's Avatar
dreadlock86 dreadlock86 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW, tx
Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,955
Niced 316 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
a lot of people are wrong on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
FTFY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
FTFY

to the OP, see what i mean?
maybe it's more like most people
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2020, 11:17 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,558
Niced 1,102 Times in 644 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
it's a common misunderstanding that overstable means turning left, stable means straight, and understable means turning right.
I don't know, it's always been pretty black and white to me, even from the start when I took my first lesson years ago. I was told stable=straight, (rhbh) overstable=left, understable=right. It was also completely obvious throwing the disc softer increased overstability while throwing the disc harder increased understability. Never had anyone describe a disc's flight as "neutral". Maybe different terminology has evolved over the years in different markets.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 PM
dreadlock86's Avatar
dreadlock86 dreadlock86 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW, tx
Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,955
Niced 316 Times in 161 Posts
Default

what seems black and white to me is that the term stable is meaningless if stability is a factor in the mechanics of a flying disc. if it's a factor, you either have more of it or less of it and therefore it is a continuum not a series of categories. one should be able to say "this disc has a less stable flight than that one" or "premium plastic is generally more stable than base plastic".

i realize that many just say "more overstable" or "more understable" instead and think stable means neutral and that might even be the majority of disc golfers but it sounds redundant and stupid to me. neutral is also a far more obvious and intuitive description than stable to describe a straight flight. and it also doesn't make sense to say that one neutral disc is "more overstable" or "more understable" than another when both discs are neither of those things.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2020, 05:53 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,190
Niced 2,685 Times in 1,283 Posts
Default

I think anyone reading this thread will be glad if they click this link. Best explanation of stability and how it relates to disc flight I've seen for the non-physicist.

In short: Spin is what gives a disc stability. Without spin, a disc launched at a given velocity won't achieve anything resembling flight. Doesn't matter if it's a Drone or a Stratus... launch a disc with zero spin and it basically becomes a not so aerodynamic projectile, and will flounder like a wounded duck.

"Stability" is a relative term, used to describe how much spin a given disc needs to achieve a stable flight at a given velocity. By stable flight, I mean the disc holds the line it's thrown on (at least until the speed slows to where fade takes over the flight). When thrown flat, a stable flight is straight. When thrown on a hyzer, a stable flight will go to the left (RHBH). Thrown on an anhyzer, a stable flight will go to the right (RHBH).

All other things being equal (and realistically, they seldom are):
Understable disc: requires more spin hold its line.
Overstable disc: requires less spin to hold its line.
Stable disc: falls somewhere between these two.

If a player gets a disc to turn at a certain velocity, it's understable at that combination of speed and spin.
If that player is able to increase spin, without changing speed, that same disc will achieve a straighter flight.

The rub is that we're all a bit different, and throw with differing amounts (or more correctly, ratios) of spin vs. speed.
Hence what seems stable to one person, may behave overstable (or understable) to other players.


Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-20-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2020, 06:09 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,094
Niced 1,882 Times in 813 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I think anyone reading this thread will be glad if they click this link. Best explanation of stability and how it relates to disc flight I've seen for the non-physicist.

In short: Spin is what gives a disc stability. Without spin, a disc launched at a given velocity won't achieve anything resembling flight. Doesn't matter if it's a Drone or a Stratus... launch a disc with zero spin and it basically becomes a not so aerodynamic projectile, and will flounder like a wounded duck.

"Stability" is a relative term, used to describe how much spin a given disc needs to achieve a stable flight at a given velocity. By stable flight, I mean the disc holds the line it's thrown on (at least until the speed slows to where fade takes over the flight). When thrown flat, a stable flight is straight. When thrown on a hyzer, a stable flight will go to the left (RHBH). Thrown on an anhyzer, a stable flight will go to the right (RHBH).

All other things being equal (and realistically, they seldom are):
Understable disc: requires more spin hold its line.
Overstable disc: requires less spin to hold its line.
Stable disc: falls somewhere between these two.

If a player gets a disc to turn at a certain velocity, it's understable at that combination of speed and spin.
If that player is able to increase spin, without changing speed, that same disc will achieve a straighter flight.

The rub is that we're all a bit different, and throw with differing amounts (or more correctly, ratios) of spin vs. speed.
Hence what seems stable to one person, may behave overstable (or understable) to other players.
Good post.

And I might add, discs are all a little bit different. Same mold, same weight, same plastice....variances exist.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2020, 02:45 PM
cheesethin cheesethin is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 355
Niced 204 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I think anyone reading this thread will be glad if they click this link. Best explanation of stability and how it relates to disc flight I've seen for the non-physicist.
That link gets the cause of turn and fade wrong. It repeats the old 'air moves faster over one side of the disc than the other' fallacy. The centre of lift being in-front or behind the centre of gravity of the disc essentially tries to push the nose up or down, and this force gets translated via gyroscopic precession into fade or turn.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2020, 02:51 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,190
Niced 2,685 Times in 1,283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
That link gets the cause of turn and fade wrong. It repeats the old 'air moves faster over one side of the disc than the other' fallacy. The centre of lift being in-front or behind the centre of gravity of the disc essentially tries to push the nose up or down, and this force gets translated via gyroscopic precession into fade or turn.
Understood. I referenced stability, and the part about understable requiring more spin, and overstable requiring less.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-24-2020, 03:16 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,129
Niced 1,213 Times in 475 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
to the OP, see what i mean?
maybe it's more like most people
You're all wrong.

Quote:
Definition of stable

(Entry 1 of 3)
1 : a building in which domestic animals are sheltered and fed especially : such a building having stalls or compartments

Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 01-24-2020, 03:35 PM
cheesethin cheesethin is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 355
Niced 204 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Understood. I referenced stability, and the part about understable requiring more spin, and overstable requiring less.
Also understood

I just couldn't let the (incidental to your point) falsehood go without throwing a spear into it's heart.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terminology Clarification: "Nose Down" MonkeyShine Technique & Strategy 68 05-27-2015 12:27 AM
Terminology cblanch4 General Disc Golf Chat 4 05-04-2015 04:45 PM
Terminology? attik34 Technique & Strategy 9 04-07-2012 05:19 PM
Clarification on Flip/Turn Terminology rowdyray Technique & Strategy 3 05-16-2011 11:29 AM
terminology duckkiller73 General Disc Golf Chat 7 07-26-2010 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.