Old 01-23-2020, 03:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 76 Times in 28 Posts

If Innova wants to overlap flights with different feel, go for it. There's already a lot of slight overlap happening.

But damn I'm peeved that the Starfire still gets the pushed to the wayside. Barely any selection on any site. No new plastic options, no glow/swirly/luster/shimmer/mf. Just mark it OOP already and end w/e hope that's left.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2020, 05:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 69
Niced 265 Times in 124 Posts

I got my couple in as well as a couple starfires and orcs. My theory crafted idea this year was to use speed 10 discs instead of speed 9 for my control drivers as I have been using speed 8 fairways and wanted a little bit more of a gap. I thought a starfire/orc combo was going to be it, but then the invictus came out so I figured I will give that a shot as well. The invictus looks like a blunt version of the starfire to me. I got one that is flatter, and one with a mild dome. The plastic is great though, it is the stiffer, tacky, swirly-star plastic. It is snowing again today, but just with that blunter nose, I expect the invictus to be a little slower and a little more overstable than a starfire, but we shall see.

edit - I forgot to mention there was a ton of flashing, just like the orc and starfire, something with them darn speed 10s.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 230 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I'm guessing Innova made these so they could sell them and bring in revenue.
I would be very surprised if see this disc in anyone's bag this year. Like last year with the Corvette. Yeah people bought them to try them out but most people suck with their shryke's. Innova has 87 molds according to Marshall street. Yeah maybe Innova should cut the fat and actually get more consistent runs of their discs instead of making new molds that over lap each other.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by jdm0514; 01-23-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 557 Times in 359 Posts

They are missing a production model to go from Firebird to XCal - I would not mind checking out something with a wing the width of a Wraith, with a nice blunt nose and flat wing like the old school overstable drivers... purely for trick shots.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 45
Niced 632 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
I would be very surprised if see this disc in anyone's bag this year. Like last year with the Corvette. Yeah people bought them to try them out but most people suck with their shryke's. Innova has 87 molds according to Marshall street. Yeah maybe Innova should cut the fat and actually get more consistent runs of their discs instead of making new molds that over lap each other.
By the same logic, they didn’t need to create the Shryke because they already had the Tern and they didn’t need to create the Destroyer because they already had the Wraith.

Their approach seems to be that if you throw enough mud at the wall, some of it will stick. I am all for the creation of new molds even if 80% are flops.

Not to mention, there are hundreds of thousands of new players every year that have zero experience throwing a Firebird. The new generation of players may prefer the Invictus over the Firebird in the same way that many prefer the Destroyer over the Wraith.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 363 Times in 187 Posts

I don’t know why people are getting so riled up over new molds. Shouldn’t that be a good thing?

If the new disc overlaps with the Starfire it’s probably for the better, it really just wasn’t that good.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:10 PM
I'm With Her

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,295 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
I don’t know why people are getting so riled up over new molds. Shouldn’t that be a good thing?

If the new disc overlaps with the Starfire it’s probably for the better, it really just wasn’t that good.
I agree about getting riled up over new molds; it's a first world problem for sure. I guess people feel inundated by all the new molds being put out, so that's the basis of their complaints?

The Starfire was okay. I guess it had its fans and its detractors.

Of course the Starfire-L (SL) was much better.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

I don’t have a problem with discs coming out with almost identical numbers if the shape or feel in the hand is unique. I throw a mix of forehand and backhand, and definitely buy the idea that should be able to throw the same disc (flight wise) each way. In reality a disc might feel good with one grip but not the other.

The tern and shryke are fairly similar number wise, but how many people dumped the tern because it was just a hair too shallow? Feel matters, I think it’s an understated reason why a lot of the innova “classics” are as popular as they are. Nobody has ever picked up a teebird and been like ew this feels awkward in my hand.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 781 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
Not sure if typo... But most people do suck with their shrykes. And many other molds too.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 230 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Not sure if typo... But most people do suck with their shrykes. And many other molds too.
Yeah I meant stuck