Old 01-24-2020, 05:38 PM

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
The scenario you are describing is known as the innovation adoption life cycle or product adoption curve.

Early adopters and early majority always pay more to "have it now". The late majority - the folks who come to the party in the next 6-18 months will be the late majority and will probably find these for more reasonable prices, but couldn't claim early adoption.

Its rooted in supply and demand. When a new disc is released, demand is high and supply is low, so they can charge what they want and folks will pay it. Once the market is saturated, the price goes down, along with demand...

So, I guess that's what you get for having to have it now.
I was going to say something similar. I'm new to disc golf but not economics. If something is overpriced, no one will buy it. Prices will come down or the item will go away. If no one ever bought discs that cost over $20, we'd never see them priced that high. However, companies don't always know where that magic price point. Better to start it out a little high and drop it as needed that start low and raise prices. That never goes well.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,777 Times in 805 Posts

For those who have been around a while, it's a bit like buying items from the Franklin Mint on the possibility they will have future collectible value.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 260 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I wouldn't shop at PIA if you want good prices. I always feel like I am buying a bootleg out of a NYC back alley. Really that business is the sux.
Now that OTB's brick-and-mortar location is in the same town as the nearest PIAS to me (and, helpfully, in the same town where I work), I literally never set foot in PIAS unless I lose a disc at the nearby course (as that's where the lost-and-founds end up). Small sample size, but the couple PIAS I've been to looking for discs seem to run high for their prices and don't have that great of a selection. Very spoiled having OTB nearby though
Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,136 Times in 735 Posts

Power to them if they can get it, Ill keep throwing my unfashionable Westside plastic that is 13.99 full price online.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Par Member

Niced 57 Times in 40 Posts

Three or four dollars is chump change. You probably cant get a happy meal at McDonalds for that kind of money.

I happily pay a few extra bucks for a cool stamp or cool plastics.

Hell, its cheaper for me to buy three $20 discs than to gas my truck up these days.

But, to each their own. I get that the cool stamp has zero effect on the way the disc flies.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 260 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
I get that the cool stamp has zero effect on the way the disc flies.
Wait...what???

Old 01-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 499 Times in 238 Posts

Am I wrong in saying these are "tour series/fundraiser" discs and the equivalent product with Innova would be $25? I guess Paul's are an actual product line partnership, but either way. If you want to pay standard retail of the same discs you just get stock stamps with less cool plastic. Same as every other company right?
Old 01-24-2020, 08:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,003 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The difference in price between the 4x stamp and the 5x stamp is entirely up to the local store (wholesale price from Discraft is exactly the same either way). They're probably discounting the 4x because they have the new 5x stamp.

And I don't know where you shopped, but proto Lunas, first run Lunas and stock-run Lunas have consistently retailed at $19.99 since they debuted (again, wholesale price hasn't changed). So the Fierce being priced similarly is no surprise at all.

But hey, rant on.
Discraft is charging dealers $10 per 5X disc, so probably not a lot of price variation unless a retailer wants to make less than normal profit.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 227 Times in 138 Posts

Funny thing about pricing at PIA. It was set by PIA. Discraft has a suggested retail price but the store doesn’t have to follow it to a T. The 4x discs from last year had a suggested retail of 19.99 the reason why that is, is because just like every other sponsored player that has a signature disc from every other manufacturer, a portion of the sale goes back to them. In the case of the 4x discs, Paul’s line up, and paiges lineup, they get quite a bit more vs other tour series because those are their discs.

As others have said there are stock versions of those same discs minus the fierce. But the fierce is also a prototype, and just like the proto lunas, those are 19.99. Even when it becomes stock, it will still probably be 19.99. There are many store who usually have discs cheaper than the usual 19.99. Infinite is one of those stores. PIA is not strictly a disc golf store. They will charge whatever it takes to make carrying disc golf equipment profitable. This is in no way the fault of the manufacturer, all they do is make the discs and make a suggested retail price.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:08 PM

Courses Played: 22
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

I dont normally hit up PIAS unless Im traveling for work so thats only a couple of times a year. Its always fun to see what I can find in their used bins. I dont normally buy discs for the stamp, Im more about buying a disc with just the right characteristics flat or domey; enough depending on mold. That being said, Ill pay the premium if the stamped/tour series disc feels better in my hand.