Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default drive height

So i was playing a round with a guy yesterday and he can definitely out drive me, but his drives all had a SUPER high apex, while mind tended to be lower (10-20) feet. Also he was throwing a putter super high and getting the same distance as my middys but again the flight patter was a high floaty shot vs a line drive......I'm guessing that he was getting so much height due to nose angle?

i know that most people will say it depends on the shot and i get that but these were a few field holes that were more or less wide open.

in any event, my overall questions is, is it better to throw slower discs with height vs a faster disc but more on a lower overall ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 55 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspike View Post
in any event, my overall questions is, is it better to throw slower discs with height vs a faster disc but more on a lower overall ceiling?
Long story short, yes. Slower discs require more height to get distance. They're also easier to throw high and nose down than faster discs. A side effect of this is that slower discs are also easier to range with because it takes a big jump in height to get a big jump in distance. It's another reason they're more forgiving and accurate.

For the most part if your disc doesn't fade then you could have gotten more distance with more height assuming the same nose down attitude. That's not always possible to accomplish becasue throwing higher and nose down gets more and more difficult, but it shows how important it is to work on throwing different heights.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 66
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Like everything, it depends on the hole and the wind. If you've got a favorable tail/cross wind, throwing a less stable disc on a higher line generally has better added distance potential. Throwing a faster, more stable disc on a lower line reduces the number of variables, but it's not a very subtle shot. You lose all the nuance of throwing a more controllable disc and many times, you lose some distance as well. Throwing your most overstable disc on a really high line won't get you any added D.

Whether or not the guy was throwing nose up or just throwing faster than you is impossible to say without knowing more about the lines he was taking. The slower, and less stable a disc is, the more height it needs to achieve max D. Throwing discs like that is a ton of fun and opens up all kinds of doors in your game.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,259 Times in 591 Posts

whenever i've seen distance comps the guys are always throwing super high shots. so yeah. my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

As others have said, potentially (under)stable discs on high lines will go farther, but the problem with those shots is the loss of predictability. Those shots are good, IMO, for wide open extremely long holes where its more important to get max D than it is to be accurate. For most real golf shots, though, I'd much rather have a more predictable shot, hence using a more stable drive on a low line so I know exactly where its going to go.

This is exactly why those crazy high lines used in the big D comps are generally not used in real golf.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,259 Times in 591 Posts

i was mostly responding to the OP mentioning that the guy was outdriving him.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 7
Niced 55 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
As others have said, potentially (under)stable discs on high lines will go farther, but the problem with those shots is the loss of predictability. Those shots are good, IMO, for wide open extremely long holes where its more important to get max D than it is to be accurate. For most real golf shots, though, I'd much rather have a more predictable shot, hence using a more stable drive on a low line so I know exactly where its going to go.

This is exactly why those crazy high lines used in the big D comps are generally not used in real golf.
I'll just add that that's only for faster discs. With slower discs you need some height to get distance even on a straight line. I'd say that distance lines, which also require height will cost you predictability, but adding height to golf lines won't if the disc is fairway speed or slower. With faster discs it's more difficult to get a solid, nose down throw even on a golf line and smaller changes in height get you bigger changes in distance and that's where the predictability goes down.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I'll just add that that's only for faster discs. With slower discs you need some height to get distance even on a straight line. I'd say that distance lines, which also require height will cost you predictability, but adding height to golf lines won't if the disc is fairway speed or slower. With faster discs it's more difficult to get a solid, nose down throw even on a golf line and smaller changes in height get you bigger changes in distance and that's where the predictability goes down.
I don't disagree with this, but I find predictability goes down if you add an extra "turn" to the disc's flight regardless of speed. What I mean is, if I throw a fast disc low, it flips to flat, holds flat, and then fades out. The only variable I have to really consider in determining where its going to go is to predict how far it will fade off its line. If I throw a disc that "S"es because I've given it a lot of height, I have to not only predict how its going to fade, but I have to predict the right amount of height and power to get it to turn over the correct amount, and I have to predict how far it will stay turned over before it fades out.

Now admittedly, slower discs are easier to predict in this regard as they aren't as touchy as faster discs, but the variables are still there.