Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4 finger power grip question

Ok I have attached pics to try and clear this up. With some of my new discs I have had a hard time getting 4 fingers tucked under the rim of my drivers. (Boss, Force) This has resulted in me noticing my grip more and wondering if I am correct or not.

My normal grip is shown from the top with my thumb sticking up. The disc lies under my index fingers pad and is in line with my arm when extended.

1st question. Is this correct or should it be under all the pads (as shown palm up pic)?

2nd question. If you notice the pic with my fingers tucked under the rim you can see my index finger resides on the ridge not tucked under. Is this what most of you do? Or do you get each finger tucked under as shown by most pros?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00045.jpg (51.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00046.jpg (43.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00047.jpg (37.4 KB, 41 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

3rd my thumb cannot rest on my index finger as Ive heard its supposed to be. If you notice its out from the edge and rests in front of my fingers. Is this bad? Do most of you press down right on top of your fingers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00048.jpg (55.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm needing to know too because this is just how I hold it. I've wandered about thumb placement just like you. The Feldberg and Climo dvd says press down where your index finger is. But I can't seems my fingers are too short and thick.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 28
Niced 49 Times in 30 Posts

I wrap my index finger all they way under rim, unlike how you have it shown. Also my pinkie placement is a bit different than yours. Mine is parallel with the other fingers whereas yours is angled in towards them. One other thing is that I curl my ring and middle finger into the rim a bit more instead of having the pads flat against it. I'm not really sure if this is the "right" way, it's just the way I do it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess Im really just looking for the most comftorable way I doubt there is one true right way.

Thanks Skurf for the description im gonna try it out for feel

Oh and if people can pics would be sweet
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol while trying grips I realized I forgot to mention

***I broke my pinkie playing football awhile back so it will not always look right its all bent up lol
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't have my thumb in the "right" placement usually either. I like to have it digging into the plastic on the inside of the rim, pressing down. It always seems to give it a little more snap for me.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 14
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Mikie4

Might've seen this already, but here is a pretty good place to get some information.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ttoripit.shtml

They talk about thumb position about a 1/4th of the way down. I personally use the thumb neutral position with power grip version 2 (they show different grips near the bottom). I don't even think I apply much pressure with my thumb, it is mostly my thumb pad. The thumb is more for controlling my nose angle. I could be wrong... I haven't tried throwing without my thumb, but it feels pretty sturdy if I lift it off the disc.

I've only been playing since May but can throw 300-320 feet on flat ground, so I feel like I'm on the right track atleast.

Last edited by Mikie4; 07-30-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 55 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatiBuckeye View Post
3rd my thumb cannot rest on my index finger as Ive heard its supposed to be. If you notice its out from the edge and rests in front of my fingers. Is this bad? Do most of you press down right on top of your fingers?
You don't look like you have your thumb forward as described in that grip article. That's an important part of grip.

FWIW, not being able to grip a really wide rimmed disc is a pretty common problem. Most pepole get stronger rips from narrower rimmed discs because they can get a much stronger grip.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Larger rimmed discs like the Boss are part of the reason I went to a modified 3 finger grip. I do try to keep the thumb forward as shown in the article. If I don't I often get more nose up than I want. I tend to put the thumb pressure halfway over where the inside edge of the rim meets the flight plate. That tends to give me the cleanest rip. Your mileage may vary.