Old 08-13-2018, 04:52 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldst View Post
Off topic, I guess, but can't a slower group let the groups behind play through? Or maybe a TD direct faster groups through?
There is a rule to prevent that, I Forget the rule number, though the second part is if a group is unanimous in the decision to let a group play though you can. I know because I have gotten stuck with mr abuse the rule for free and clear of distractions on putts that I have had cards pile up behind me as he is the lone voice that did not allow the other players to play around, citing the rule just before the unanimous group decision ruling. However if same guy plays in a card with his son he plays faster and is using the one rule about the Free and Clear Of distractions on putts but not abusing it.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-13-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.5
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,077 Times in 562 Posts

Here.
Quote:
802 Throwing
802.01 Throw
…
G. During tournament play, no group may play through the group ahead unless
directed by an Official, or if the group ahead is standing aside in accordance
with the rules.
Quote:
801.03 Appeals
…
B. A player may appeal a group decision to an Official, or an Official’s decision
to the Director, by clearly and promptly stating that desire to the group. If an
Official or the Director is readily available, the group may stand aside and allow
other groups to play through while the appeal is being heard.

The reason is that, while it may seem to help the group following a slow card, it increases the time until everyone is finished. If the group with the slow player lets the following group play through, then the group with the slow player will be waiting while the following group plays the hole. That slows down all the other groups behind.

For a shotgun start, every group (including your own) is both "ahead" and "behind" you. Any delay can affect all groups. So, the group playing through has just delayed their own (and everyone else's) finish time by the amount of time the group with the slow player has waited while letting them play through.

And, as everyone knows, the following group always loses a disc when they play through, so that adds to the delay.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 526 Times in 262 Posts

Slow pace of play is a bummer when you're in the flight with slow players, but even more of a bummer if you're behind that group. Have never witnessed a group standing aside to let another group play through in sanctioned play; didn't even know that was a thing.

However, I understand and appreciate the rules regarding "practice throws". I do think those rules are necessary from a practical standpoint. And I do think that playing catch constitutes practice throws. It's a drag in these one-off/oddball cases like the OP described, but that does not supersede the necessity of the rules.

Also, just on a philosophical level, I do think that playing catch goes against the spirit of competition. In a formal setting, I feel like you are "on the clock" from the start of your round until your score card is totaled & returned to the TD/LD/whatever official is collecting score cards. During that time, practice and warm-up are done and all throws should be used to complete the course in the correct/intended order.

Of course, that formal competitive setting is not for everyone. Nobody is forcing you to play any leagues or tourneys, and there's plenty of time to play casual rounds by whatever rules (or lack of rules) you desire. But if you are going to play in formal competition--especially sanctioned events--at least make a good faith effort to understand and obey the rules.

((Not trying to hack on Streets in particular; sounds like an honest mistake and he's learning from it.))

Niced: (2)

Last edited by ThrowBot; 08-13-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 592 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedOrangeHat View Post
somebody has to shame you for being a lazy piece o street. instead of mindlessly tacking another post to your count, maybe read the rulebook and learn something about this game that you are supposedly so passionate about you've made 7,000+ posts....
You really should be banned.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 205
Niced 217 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Have never witnessed a group standing aside to let another group play through in sanctioned play; didn't even know that was a thing.
The example I remember being given for this is if a group could not come to a consensus on a ruling and an official gets involved. If the ruling still isn't clear even with the official present they may allow the group behind them to play through while they continue to discuss whatever ruling is slowing them down.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,022 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Have never witnessed a group standing aside to let another group play through in sanctioned play; didn't even know that was a thing.
Notroman is correct, the only time standing aside to let a group play through if there is a ruling issue or appeal that the group needs resolved before it can proceed. They're allowed to stand aside and wait for the TD or an official to come to them and make a ruling/hear the appeal. It is rule 801.03.B. It rarely occurs because of 801.03.C, which suggests playing provisionals and seeking resolution from the TD after the round is complete. Something much easier and less time consuming to do, particularly in tournaments where the TD is playing.

So other than that specific circumstance, playing through another group is NEVER allowed in tournament play.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 118
Niced 216 Times in 102 Posts

At Am Worlds last month I let a group play through. I was a course marshal and there was a significant rules/scoring debate on one card. I caught up with them, pulled them off to the side to try to settle the matter, and told the group behind them to go ahead and play through while we were discussing. It's the only time I've ever done it or even heard of it being done.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 99
Niced 101 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
At Am Worlds last month I let a group play through. I was a course marshal and there was a significant rules/scoring debate on one card. I caught up with them, pulled them off to the side to try to settle the matter, and told the group behind them to go ahead and play through while we were discussing. It's the only time I've ever done it or even heard of it being done.
What was their situation?