Old 08-21-2018, 05:54 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 43 Times in 22 Posts
Default Mando questions

Apologies if this has been asked before, I looked, but couldn't find. Any links gratefully accepted.

Question 1

question 1.png

What is the status of this throw (from a to b, tee pad bottom of image)?

Question 2

question 2.png

Is this an OK route? It doesn't seem to pass the 'string' test, but neither throw passed the mando line in the teepad to basket direction.

From Rules for reference:
Quote:
804.02 Prohibited Routes
B. A throw has missed a mandatory if, from the direction of the tee, it completely crosses a mandatory line and comes to rest without coming back across the line (a throw or sequence of throws that crosses the line in both directions is considered not to have crossed the line).
From the Q&A for reference (doesn't necessarily directly address my questions but it is where the 'string' test is brought in:

Quote:
QA-MAN-1: My throw went past the mandatory on the incorrect side, then rolled back around the other side and ended up short of the mando. Have I still missed it?

Yes. The mandatory line only extends to the incorrect side of the mando. There is no line on the correct side of the mando, so coming back around on that side does not change the status of the throw. You have crossed the line and have not come back across it, so you have missed the mando. Note: If your disc crossed that line and then came back across the line, you have not missed the mando. One way to think about mandos is to imagine the path of the disc as a string. Pull that string taut, then see which side of the mando it passes to.
Link to Q&A bit with the other pictures https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-ma...k-around-other

Bonus third question:
Question 3

Quote:
a throw or sequence of throws that crosses the line in both directions is considered not to have crossed the line
The bolded bit is confusing because it implies you could 'unwind' a throw that missed the mando by throwing back across the mando line from the basket side to the tee pad side. But that isn't true is it? Is it just me or is this bit confusing?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by cheesethin; 08-21-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-24-2018, 12:28 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 183 Times in 77 Posts

Question 1: Equivalent of A-B leg in fifth diagram of Q&A. Good, since if it weren't good you couldn't throw B-C.

Question 2: A--B and B-C each pass on correct side of mando (the string path wraps around the mando, so it's A-mando object-B, and B-mando-C, not a straight line from A-B or B-C). Also, A-C passes on the correct side of the mando. Good. Not sure why you would take that route though, since diagram 5 in the Q&A shows B-C is OK, even though it passes on the "wrong" side of the mando, implying that once the mando is passed correctly it's irrelevant to subsequent play (unless the TD specifies oherwise).

Bonus question: I can see why "sequence of throws" could be confusing. I suppose that it's there to account for a situation in which multiple throws cross the line in both directions, but it's probably not necessary.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 216 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Question 2

Attachment 65654

Is this an OK route? It doesn't seem to pass the 'string' test, but neither throw passed the mando line in the teepad to basket direction.

From Rules for reference:

804.02 Prohibited Routes
B. A throw has missed a mandatory if, from the direction of the tee, it completely crosses a mandatory line and comes to rest without coming back across the line (a throw or sequence of throws that crosses the line in both directions is considered not to have crossed the line).
I say it's legal.

The "string test" from the Q&A fails on this exact scenario, but the string test is not quite the full definition of the rule.

My primary reason for saying it's legal is that 804.02 says the throw misses the mando if it crosses the mando line from the direction of the tee. Your throw "misses" the mando from the direction of the basket, so it has not actually missed the mando.

From your lie, you could throw to either direction of the mando:
"Correct" side - This is legal because your disc never crossed the mando line from the direction of the tee.
"Incorrect" side - This is legal because the sequence of throws passed the line in both directions.

Last edited by ToddL; 08-26-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 216 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Bonus third question:
Question 3

"a throw or sequence of throws that crosses the line in both directions is considered not to have crossed the line"

The bolded bit is confusing because it implies you could 'unwind' a throw that missed the mando by throwing back across the mando line from the basket side to the tee pad side. But that isn't true is it? Is it just me or is this bit confusing?
It's a bit of a bonus bit of confusion, but it does not allow unwinding. If your initial throw crosses the mando line in the direction from the tee and comes to rest across the mando, you've missed the mando with no recourse. Immediate penalty, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

But if you cross the mando line from the direction of the basket, then your next throw is included in the "sequence of throws" clause. That allows you to throw your second shot across the mando line without incurring a penalty.