Old 07-17-2018, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 889 Times in 417 Posts

I have always thought of the rules in a fashion of "if it is not proscribed it is permitted". IMO extrapolating things you CANNOT do from the written rules as opposed to extrapolating things you CAN do steps into the realm of legislating things yourself which is not where I believe we want to go.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 461 Times in 271 Posts

wow...after reading through this thread, I still don't know. Can I have someone rattle the chains for me or not? Because there is no doubt it's a directional aid when you're stuck behind thick brush, trees, etc, and it could save a stroke from having to re-tee or throw from a previous lie.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.5
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,077 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
wow...after reading through this thread, I still don't know. Can I have someone rattle the chains for me or not? Because there is no doubt it's a directional aid when you're stuck behind thick brush, trees, etc, and it could save a stroke from having to re-tee or throw from a previous lie.
"Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed." Rattling the chains is not placing an object.

The only possible rule that might be specifically violated is "A player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course, [with some exceptions]". If the chains are in the same place they were before the rattling, have they actually been "moved"?

Of course, the action - while not illegal itself - may incidentally violate other rules like excessive time, or distracting other players, or interference if a throw hits the hand shaking the chains.

I'd say: Don't ask for it. It's kind of an imposition, so it's not something we want to become a common part of the game. But, if you do, make an appeal if your group gives you a violation.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 214 Times in 109 Posts

If a disc hits a tree in a forest and no one is around to see it... Did you shank your drive?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,022 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I'd say: Don't ask for it. It's kind of an imposition, so it's not something we want to become a common part of the game. But, if you do, make an appeal if your group gives you a violation.
Why would the group give a violation for asking to have the chains rattled? That's not a violation of any rule (or "logical" extension of any rule in the book). If the group feels that rattling the chains is against the rules, all they have to do is say no.

As for it not being something we want to become part of the game...too late. The occasion that inspired the thread did not happen out of the blue. It wasn't the first time someone has asked for help locating the basket from a blind position and certainly not the first time that the response was to rattle the chains of the basket. It's a practice that's been going on since the pole hole target was invented, I imagine.

The answer to the question posed by the OP is yes, a player can ask someone to rattle the chains. The answer to the follow up is that no, there is no rule barring someone from rattling the chains for that player. Everything else in the thread is speculation and wishful thinking.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 81 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
If a disc hits a tree in a forest and no one is around to see it... Did you shank your drive?
Not sure if I still shanked it but I know i will still have to spend 20 mins finding it

Old 07-30-2018, 05:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 30 Times in 22 Posts

The player needs to know where the basket is to take a legal stance. If the other players on the card refuses to help, and they are not in a position to call a potential stance violation, I think I would give them all a curtesy violation for that.

Niced: (1)