#11  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:15 PM
F.Luke F.Luke is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: the left hand world
Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 63
Posts: 572
Niced 299 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourseMaintenance View Post
...
You can also get casual relief and play the lie directly behind the bush if you can't get in a proper stance for some reason...
“Some reason” does NOT include not having your preferred stance or not wanting to take a stance, ie: “ouch these briars hurt, I don’t wanna go in there.”

The simplest way to think about it is if you don’t want to play from your disc, you shouldn’t have thrown it there.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:16 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,718
Niced 2,022 Times in 862 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourseMaintenance View Post
I was probably incorrect with my verbiage. But if you can't take a stance from the lie, the lie then extends to a certain distance behind without penalty. I believe.
If the lie below the suspended disc ends up being in a solid obstacle, like the trunk of the bush/tree, then you play from directly behind the trunk. Any relief beyond that comes with a penalty.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:23 PM
F.Luke F.Luke is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: the left hand world
Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 63
Posts: 572
Niced 299 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If the lie below the suspended disc ends up being in a solid obstacle, like the trunk of the bush/tree, then you play from directly behind the trunk. Any relief beyond that comes with a penalty.
I would consider any instance where it is physically impossible to make legal contact with the lie to logically follow the solid object rule.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:31 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,718
Niced 2,022 Times in 862 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
I would consider any instance where it is physically impossible to make legal contact with the lie to logically follow the solid object rule.
Agreed. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the entire purpose of the rule.

The key takeaway of the rule is that the lie in such a case is directly behind the obstacle, not some "certain distance" away.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Docxen Docxen is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 164
Niced 55 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
“Some reason” does NOT include not having your preferred stance or not wanting to take a stance, ie: “ouch these briars hurt, I don’t wanna go in there.”

The simplest way to think about it is if you don’t want to play from your disc, you shouldn’t have thrown it there.
wow ...well maybe after 22 years i won't but after 2 months i still do a lot

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:39 PM
F.Luke F.Luke is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: the left hand world
Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 63
Posts: 572
Niced 299 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Agreed. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the entire purpose of the rule.

The key takeaway of the rule is that the lie in such a case is directly behind the obstacle, not some "certain distance" away.
And in the case of not so solid solid obstacles, the lie becomes the closest point on the line of play where legal contact can be made. That’s probably still up in that bush or briars or whatever, lol
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:43 PM
CourseMaintenance's Avatar
CourseMaintenance CourseMaintenance is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: West By God
Posts: 43
Niced 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
ok thanks wow i need to get a rule book
They are cheap. Keep one in your bag. These weird situations don't come up often, but when they do you wanna "not" get pounded with penalty strokes.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:43 PM
F.Luke F.Luke is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: the left hand world
Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 63
Posts: 572
Niced 299 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
wow ...well maybe after 22 years i won't but after 2 months i still do a lot
If you’re a disc golfer, you don’t need tattoos. I call it ritual scarification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD3E10CE-FDB0-42F7-91DC-6A2BCBAC86E4.jpg (133.0 KB, 26 views)

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:48 PM
CourseMaintenance's Avatar
CourseMaintenance CourseMaintenance is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: West By God
Posts: 43
Niced 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Again, incorrect to the bolded. There is no rule or associated penalty as to the timing of when you retrieve a disc from a tree. It's a good idea to mark the lie first so it is done accurately, but once it's marked, you can pull it from the tree or knock it out if it is something that can be done swiftly and without disturbing any other players.
The guy said he was gonna knock it out of the tree and call that the lie. That's what I was saying not to do.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:56 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,718
Niced 2,022 Times in 862 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourseMaintenance View Post
The guy said he was gonna knock it out of the tree and call that the lie. That's what I was saying not to do.
Right. But it isn't the act of knocking the disc out that would draw a penalty, which was the implication in your post (whether that was your intent or not, that's how it read). Any penalty associated with what the OP described would come from playing from where that disc ended up after it was knocked out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why beat around the bush when the bush is right there!! Modelle The Marketplace 32 04-03-2015 10:12 AM
Found 2 discs in one bush Nathanbr2 General Disc Golf Chat 31 06-16-2010 02:12 PM
Anyone who has played sugar bush judson General Disc Golf Chat 7 05-08-2010 01:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.