Old 04-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 572 Times in 263 Posts
Default Best/WORST disc format. Most infuriating variation ever?

We’ve all played best disc doubles, but this past weekend I played a best/worst disc doubles tournament, in which you keep your WORST throw no matter what- including not counting aces or any basket if your partner doesn’t match, and any disc going OB is automatically tallied.

It was interesting for sure, and added a real element of mental challenge instead of the old “you lay up I’ll run it” doubles but holy hell is it an infuriating thing to pick up your parked drive or pull your disc out of the basket and walk over to the “worst disc”- at least a stroke over where you would be if your throw counted. I’ve never laid up so many times in my life- combined!

How do you feel about it? I’m torn- part of me likes the variation in thought pattern, part of me HATES not counting the best throws and rewarding layups and thinks that’s not what this game is supposed to be about.

Anybody else played this variation and had extremely mixed feelings afterwards?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,565 Times in 712 Posts

"Tough Shot" doubles is a better form of Worst Shot. The difference is just one player has to hole out and not both. So if you or your partner aces, gets a fairway throw-in or makes a long putt, your team has holed out and the partner does not have to match that shot. For throws where neither partner holes out, you still have to play your worst throw.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,619 Times in 1,505 Posts

You've described the whole point of worst shot doubles. It is supposed to be completely different and it's supposed to feel weird to pick up some really good throws. I once played worst shot format where my partner and I holed out our five before I ever got to pick up a disc that I'd thrown on the hole. My drive was parked. My second and third shots were also around the basket. My fourth was a made putt from ~35 feet. My partner just couldn't get anything right on the hole. I returned the favor on a couple other holes so it's not like it was one sided.

The key to success in worst or tough shot is not trying to do anything spectacular. Don't run anything, don't try anything aggressive, do everything conservatively. Birdies are hard to come by so it's no use striving for them. Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy changing the strategy like that.

To me, the biggest mind-eff of a doubles format is alternating shot. And that's primarily because you never have to deal with your own mistakes. Every bad throw you make is something your partner has to deal with but never you. If you throw into the deep schule, it's your partner who has to crawl in there and play out. That requires a pretty solid relationship between the two of you or a real don't-give-an-eff attitude in order to not want to strangle each other by the end.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,156 Times in 1,068 Posts

I've done it a couple of times and it can be an interesting variation, depending on the course, group, situation, etc. It can also makes for some interesting strategy twists.

IMHO, the most important aspect of playing this way is players' states of mind - you have to be willing to laugh at your misfortune. If you try to take it to seriously, your just gonna get pissed, and possibly bring other players' fun level down, too.

Some courses punish bad shots much more severely than others. I think this format is best played on a course that penalizes bad shots moderately to significantly, rather than very harshly. This helps things stay competitive and mitigates the frustration factor.

That said, I wouldn't want to do it more than once in a blue moon, nor would I want to play that way if the stakes were significant.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,327 Times in 1,475 Posts

There's a saying that Best Shot will test your teamwork, and Worst Shot will test your friendship.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 364
Niced 1,674 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
"Tough Shot" doubles is a better form of Worst Shot. The difference is just one player has to hole out and not both. So if you or your partner aces, gets a fairway throw-in or makes a long putt, your team has holed out and the partner does not have to match that shot. For throws where neither partner holes out, you still have to play your worst throw.
It certainly takes the edge off. What happens is that the last throw on the hole is really Best Throw.

Compared to the scores of the individuals, Tough Throw scores would be expected to be the same for holes where each teammate would score 3, higher for scores where they would score more than 3, and lower for holes where they would score less than 3.

So, on a short easy course (the kind where Worst Throw might be played), Tough Throw is really easier than individual play. That makes players feel good about themselves while making them think they played a harder form of golf.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 216 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
This is how I have usually seen it played. Holling out ends it and the other team can't choose the shot anymore.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,327 Times in 1,475 Posts

Quote:
Never played Tough Shot, but it strikes me as much preferable to Worst Shot. There must be some discussions like, "Okay, you can run it, but you BETTER not overshoot it with my disc sitting under the basket."
Old 04-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 123 Times in 77 Posts

What about “average shot” where you take the mid-line between the two shots?

Two bad shots can turn into a decent shot if they’re on opposite sides of the fairway... also puts pressure on the second thrower to counter-balance the first shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)

Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 364
Niced 1,674 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowLegs View Post
What about “average shot” where you take the mid-line between the two shots?

Two bad shots can turn into a decent shot if they’re on opposite sides of the fairway... also puts pressure on the second thrower to counter-balance the first shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always wanted to try that. How do you figure out the exact midpoint?