Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-20-2019, 12:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 494 Times in 265 Posts

I go proton matrix and plasma axis. The alias is a nice easy to throw straight mid too.

Throwing putters: I'm in the ion/anode camp. Also throw a particle for more os.

Putting putters: I putt a firm e anode
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2019, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 70 Times in 46 Posts

No matter which you try, remember that large diameter mids are more gyroscopic by nature. So add the overmold and you have a disc that is very gyro. Now we could debate all day about the intricacies of what gyro does and to what degree without consensus, but most do tend to agree that the extra weight on the outside tends to make the disc feel/fly heavier than a one piece disc of the same weight. Personally I theorize that this really throws a monkeywrench into the impressions of people who test a lot of discs by just slotting in and out similar purposed discs from different manufacturers for comparison. With the small diameter drivers/putters the difference in feel is like 1-2g, but with the larger mids it's more like a 2-3g difference.

When I threw Buzzes my weight was 177, Rocs I liked at 178-179, but a Vector that weight would take a full power rip to go past 300'. My main N Vector now is 174.5 and it honestly flies at the same general height and line with the same power and angle that I used to throw with those heavier mids. With a nice smooth 80% shot I can easily pass 300'.

For beginners I would recommend the Tangent, Alias, or Theory. Learn to throw hyzer/straight/and anny lines with whichever you choose.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 576 Times in 424 Posts

I would suggest an Axiom Alias as its just SO straight but stable and is great for everyone (and I have aces galore with it and by galore I mean 2 --almost 3) and MVP Matrix - its nice, slight turn mod fade.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,168 Times in 592 Posts

To be honest, I would say that the Signal is a great beginner midrange. It's classified as a fairway, but powers down really well, and is nice and understable for someone with slow arm speed.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 559 Times in 344 Posts

Axis if you want one solid, versatile mid. Vector / Tangent if you want a pair. Deflector / Axis / Theory if you want three mids with very different stabilities.

You may find this comparison useful. It's old so the newer molds are not represented.

Personally I carry a beat Axis for flips, seasoned Axis for laserbeams, and a Vector as a slightly overstable go to.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 729 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattrax View Post
I am making a all MVP bag. Looking for everyone's thoughts on the best Mid-ranged combo for beginners. Am RHBH dominant but like to think i am fairly decent with the RHFH as well.
Everyone else has pretty much nailed the mid range discussion... what do you have now for MVP discs?

If you don't have any.. If I was you I would pick out a putter: Anode, Atom, Ion, Proxy, Pilot(?) That is somewhat neutral.

I would pair said putter with a Relay. It can also take care of some mid range duties.

If you then have a neutral putter and a fairway driver you will see where your next gap will be.. The putters are generally fast for putters, that Relay will power down better than you think, filling a stable mid slot and excellent controllable distance. Likely at that point you might want an Envy.. to pair with your more neutral putter.. Haha.

That being said to actually answer your question about mids I would look at the Tangent if you like a lightly seasoned Buzzz, Theory or Vertex if you like a Comet normally. Vector if you want straight but beefy. Personally I use a Tangent. I love the feel in the hand and it holds some cool lines, it's not a real glidey mid but it's great for flying how you think it should.

Left, right, or straight the Tangent is great for one disc rounds, I use my heavy 178 as my wind putter..

Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 729 Times in 510 Posts

Timed out..

The Axis is a straight up Buzzz replacement if you can get it moving it's awesome. Good glide, holds lines but takes more power than a Tangent to get a good flight but it goes further.