Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts
Default Is straddle a physically healthier putting stance?

I feel like there is so much physical polarity in DG, especially for backhand dominant players, that the left side of my body gets weaker and weaker - especially my left glute and left lower back If I use a staggered stance in putting it gets even worse - particularly since I tend to do most putting leaned forward on my right leg. If I do a lot of practice from a straddle, however, I feel like I get a little more physically balanced. I think I may switch to a straddle-dominant game just for that.

Anyone else think that straddle a physically healthier putting stance?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I bet your regular staggered putt isn't transferring your weight correctly. Of course if you have pain issues then you have to sort out what works for you. But you should be moving from your left leg to your right leg as if you are standing up on your right leg and remaining balanced...not like you are trying to take a step forward with the left leg and then stop yourself from stepping through or tipping past the leg. If you put too much force into the putt you should feel like you want to pop up/through the right leg, not crash/fall forward. Like it should naturally transition to a jump putt feeling once you put enough power on it.

You can also incorporate more FH's into your game since that moves/swings the opposite direction to BH.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 58 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
I feel like there is so much physical polarity in DG, especially for backhand dominant players, that the left side of my body gets weaker and weaker - especially my left glute and left lower back If I use a staggered stance in putting it gets even worse - particularly since I tend to do most putting leaned forward on my right leg. If I do a lot of practice from a straddle, however, I feel like I get a little more physically balanced. I think I may switch to a straddle-dominant game just for that.

Anyone else think that straddle a physically healthier putting stance?
i have gone to straddle putting inside the circle. I am much more accurate with my throw arm inside my body. I started this when i had shoulder problems and have stuck with it.

I actually push off evenly with both feet. Allows me to keep balance throughout the whole putt.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 110
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 122 Times in 76 Posts

I use the straddle putt a lot, especially in the circle. I do find it's easier on my lower back than stagger stance. I like to have both options available, it adds to the confidence factor, which is the larger half of putting.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,737 Times in 1,701 Posts

It all depends. IMO straddle is harder on your hips and arm/shoulder. I ended with snapping hip syndrome after practicing straddle putting for a while. Barry Shultz had to quit the straddle for awhile due to that as well.

Niced: (1)