Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,254 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSand View Post
What mold is that? Is that a decodye? Doesn't matter, Dimple Tech is superior.
...um its an actual golf ball...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

MVP doing single molds and Lat64 doing with overmold. Seems like they all just want a full set of options.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Niced 107 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
Can it really be considered a novel design/idea when crap like Odyssey already existed?
Odysseys are in the bolt-on lineage of Buzzbee, MaxFlight, and Atlas/Nova. chemically bonded stuff like MVP, AMF Voit (iirc), the new Assassin, and new Lat64 is different. overmolding a disc is an idea that predates disc golf. the methods of doing so are evolving and being innovated. it's exciting if you like frisbee.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 427 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
For the fact that I throw Latitude and like the molds they have, I hope this is not the case. If they stop making these and go to an overmold, I'll won't be buying more of them. I dont think the overmold does anything for the flight of the disc, and I dont think this is a necessary move for the Latitude since their lineup is just fine...IMO. But what do I know. Overmolds seem to be the rave for some reason that I'll never understand.
If the overmold has no effect on the discs you throw, why would you stop throwing them if they were given overmolds?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

hmmm... thumbtracks, big beads and now overmolds.. I think we have entered Lats 'spaghetti at the wall' era. Maybe they decided their discs were way too comfortable.

As long as trilogy quietly releases all of their single mold stuff in fluid I dont particularly care what they do with new molds.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 471
Niced 34 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Odysseys are in the bolt-on lineage of Buzzbee, MaxFlight, and Atlas/Nova. chemically bonded stuff like MVP, AMF Voit (iirc), the new Assassin, and new Lat64 is different. overmolding a disc is an idea that predates disc golf. the methods of doing so are evolving and being innovated. it's exciting if you like frisbee.
Right... Which has to hurt the chances of the patent being approved. Probably something Innova and Lat64 have already discussed with their lawyers.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
If the overmold has no effect on the discs you throw, why would you stop throwing them if they were given overmolds?

In my experience with overmold discs, mostly MVP and Axiom, they take forever to break in. Mainly in my mids, I like to have a couple molds with one seasoned one and one more fresh, and maybe even different plastics. I'm starting to carry that trend in to my drivers. I used to not care, but as my discs break in and lose stability, and I add a newer one of the same mold, Im starting to see why people like having fewer molds. Its not something I was ever able to do when throwing MVP discs. I also noticed that regardless of the plastic, the stability seems to be the same. Not a bad thing at all, but I like having the ability to have a couple plastics that fly a bit differently. Like my Champ and DX Thunderbird. The Champ is a straight flight with a good fade. The DX is a straight flight with little fade. The only MVP disc I've ever been able to do this with is the Volt. I had a Neutron and Fission and they paired very well together.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 174
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

You know what, I am intrigued and would love to receive a Pure prototype.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:10 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Niced 107 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
Right... Which has to hurt the chances of the patent being approved. Probably something Innova and Lat64 have already discussed with their lawyers.
The patent's none of my business and doesn't really affect me or my job. Other users here seem to be pretty invested in it though.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric40817 View Post
In my experience with overmold discs, mostly MVP and Axiom, they take forever to break in. Mainly in my mids, I like to have a couple molds with one seasoned one and one more fresh, and maybe even different plastics. I'm starting to carry that trend in to my drivers. I used to not care, but as my discs break in and lose stability, and I add a newer one of the same mold, Im starting to see why people like having fewer molds. Its not something I was ever able to do when throwing MVP discs. I also noticed that regardless of the plastic, the stability seems to be the same. Not a bad thing at all, but I like having the ability to have a couple plastics that fly a bit differently. Like my Champ and DX Thunderbird. The Champ is a straight flight with a good fade. The DX is a straight flight with little fade. The only MVP disc I've ever been able to do this with is the Volt. I had a Neutron and Fission and they paired very well together.

I should note, that if the new plastic dyes as well as MVP/Axiom plastic... I might have to pick up at least a couple