Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

These are great points. And great explanation. Hershyzer always bugged me a bit, never got the feeling I suppose. But it makes more sense now. Exactly what I was looking for in my last post. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Inspired by a recent discussion here, I've tested out some heavy throwing. I instantly like the way it looks compared to throwing a disc. I certainly feel the leverage and resistance I need. The body appears to go out of the way all on it's own.
So.., anything I should change when throwing the ball? Speed? Trajectory? Footwork? Posture?

Old 12-16-2018, 02:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,104 Times in 2,488 Posts

Nice braced finish. How heavy is that?

Your x-step looks a bit stiff/robotic or unnatural/rhythmic. Let your rear foot heel on the ground for better balance more relaxed/stable on the whole foot to smoothly transition forward. Your rear leg muscles are too stiff trying to stay on your toes in that slow pace and heavy weight.

Also looks like you are moving into the way of the swing. You can see Will planting out of the way below. Two-handed swings must open up more to allow the rear hand to swing through. Try one-handed with something lighter like a tennis ball.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Nice braced finish. How heavy is that?
Its quite heavy at about 17,5 lbs. I've got one at about 8 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Your x-step looks a bit stiff/robotic or unnatural/rhythmic. Let your rear foot heel on the ground for better balance more relaxed/stable on the whole foot to smoothly transition forward. Your rear leg muscles are too stiff trying to stay on your toes in that slow pace and heavy weight.
It feels a bit stiff and not as smooth. I'll see if the left heel anchored will make the transition forward smoother. I won't have as much time next month out in the field, so I'm sticking to some of your later videos indoor to get comfortable planting before swinging through. Tennis ball sounds good!
Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosjnur View Post
Its quite heavy at about 17,5 lbs. I've got one at about 8 as well.

It feels a bit stiff and not as smooth. I'll see if the left heel anchored will make the transition forward smoother. I won't have as much time next month out in the field, so I'm sticking to some of your later videos indoor to get comfortable planting before swinging through. Tennis ball sounds good!
Heel shouldn’t be anchored, but should be more natural like
Walking.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:19 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I have access to a great indoor facility once a week. Want to focus on doing drills for å couple months.

Tennis ball drill. Throwing both left and right. I suppose Im trying to throw it straighter. Balance feels a bit of in the first video. Like Im pulled left in the picture.

I have some griplocks to the right, but mostly straight throws. Focused on trying to get a good set up on my front leg.
One leg 1

One leg 2

I tried the windmill too but I dont want to post too many videos.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Try this variation of OLD - lifting front toes up and shifting back diagonally to allow the arm/disc to swing straight back over the foot. You are swinging back around your foot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m30s

Agree you are going left during your throws, and swinging too horizontal instead of vertical. You are pushing late off the rear foot pushing you around your front leg instead of shifting upright on it and rotating centered on it. Note how your spine and ball starts to the right of the instep and finishes left, so your spine is not maintaining a tight/centered tilted spiral on the front leg. Also note your front shoulder goes higher before extending the arm. Note how my spine remains centered on that braced tilt axis start to finish and ball stays to the left outside body while swinging vertical underneath my shoulder and head.

Note in last pic how my shoulders are more closed and I've completely shifted and braced on to the front leg with knee and hip extended upright, and my rear foot/leg really kicked/everted forward from driving the heel/weight targetward from the toes/instep. There is a significant difference in how your rear foot finishes with your rear foot more horizontal and further back.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Tennis ball
Swinging vertical really made a difference on my tennis ball throw. After practising the finished position for a bit, my tennis ball throw feels more balanced, and I think I'm closer to getting the heel up correctly and my braced leg upright finish. I'm unsure about my sequenceing, looks a bit off when I'm transitioning forward, I think I'm not really "falling" into it. Might it have something to do with my
- stance into the transition
- hugging my self slightly/not being closed enough right shoulder
- leaning a bit over the top like your not supposed to do

1 leg drill
Didn't feel powerful doing the one leg drill variation. Every movement forward felt like it happend at the same time, not like a seqence where I can throw "the hammer through the net" Need to get this one right. Maybe I should do a slightly wider stance to get more diagonal shift. Still think I'm hugging a bit and opening my shoulder. I think if I had a bar over my shoulders, it would tip to the left. I think I'm still swinging somewhat around instead of under. Feels wierd to try to throw a flat shot like this.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Agree with your assessments. Need a wider stance in OLD variation - more weightshift back. And need a wider arm and release.

In the tennis ball, you aren't swinging back hard enough in the backswing and letting go of the arm, should almost throw the ball backward. My shoulder is a bit further back behind my foot. You are a bit lazy or stiff/controlled on the backswing and not letting your arm go.

During the swing your thumb ends up on top the tennis ball instead of staying on the outside edge of it, need to supinate your arm more underneath the ball and swing a little vertical still. You also plant your front foot a little too backward to throw straight and spins early.

In the second frame you can see how my shoulder makes it forward of the ankle or right over top it and how much more extension I get with my arm and wide release accelerating the ball forward. Your shoulder is behind your ankle and collapses the arm and you release the ball early behind your hand.

In the finish note how your front hip is behind your ankle and tilted down so your upper body is folding over your front hip, and your rear foot and Center of Gravity is behind your front foot. Note how my front hip is stacked upright and forward, so my CoG and rear foot are centered on the front foot, almost like taking another x-step or getting ready to do a pirouette figure skater jump, or javelin or hammer throw foot block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 6.50.17 PM copy.jpg (50.4 KB, 73 views)

Old 01-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I think I understood the part about the COG and my hip being behind my ankle. I was thinking about the butt wipe drill. Was I doing the equivalent of not wiping the butt and turning the left ass away from the wall too soon?
So first one is bad, second is better?

I don't think I got the hand supination and backswing perfect, but did feel more like an ice skater when trying to apply the better weight shift. Here are my best ones. My phone is ok by the way.