Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,104 Times in 2,488 Posts

Correct. Looking better.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Practice notes from yesterday. Started with some medicine ball throwing.
I think I'm getting slightly in the way of the ball, slight stiff run up but good brace and getting to use my momentum. Feels nice to throw something heavy (around 9-10 lbs)

Then some tennis ball one leg and the bowling move. I still think I'm rotating horizontal, at least some of the throws. It's not one fluid move forward, sligthly staccato. Then I tried to do some tennis forehands with a disc as the raquet, not sure if helpful or not. I've played high level badminton in my teenage years, and it kind of felt like a badminton serve.

Then threw some discs. I read the advice in the beginning of this thread again and tried to focus on getting the arm wider while still getting onto the front leg like I've been working on. I have also experiemented with getting up onto the rear leg like shown in the kick the ball video. Throwing 220-240 feet shots, I think my Balance is better than before as seen from the side. Throwing faster it looks like my balance is still tilted back when getting onto the rear leg.

From behind I have two throws where I tried to experiment with my off arm in the Reach back. More tigth in the first throw, more open in the second. In the first throw it looks like my right shoulder turn stops and this makes my right shoulder to arm angle too tight and I'm in the way of the disc and releasing to the left. The second throw I make more room for the body to turn with my left arm more loose and out of the way and this makes a better backswing and a straighter throw. Body less in the way.

Last edited by mrosjnur; 01-25-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,631 Times in 1,656 Posts

In your X-step you seem to be pumping the disc forward before you've landed on the right leg to have any leverage or control of the arm. So right from the beginning you have lost that connected leverage feeling. Wait to step to the right foot to be able to pump forward...then it will feel like you have full control to land on the left leg to begin the backswing and you'll stay in full control of the arm and torso.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Agree the backswing is starting early there as SP noted. Work on Door Frame Drills and when you release your hand from the door frame and shift weight into front heel, pretend you are still dragging the entire wall forward with pulled back taut arm like a string or bungee. You appear to be pulling with the arm and bending the elbow.

As the shoulder comes forward with the torso rotation and cause the elbow to bend from all that weight still lagging back. Don't try to rotate your shoulder, bring it forward. Don't try to pull the door frame with your arm/bending elbow, your body/shoulder position leveraging the door frame forward after release the hand from frame will cause the elbow to bend with a lagged taut arm.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for noticing SP! I also looked at your advice on grip, I think it was a video you posted on Olemiss's thread and I tried to focus on my wrist angle to control the opposite side of the disc, that really felt more powerful. I took SW advice and did the door frame, and it really helped to feel the connection to the arm. Diffence is before I bent the elbow when releasing the door frame as opposed to keeping the arm taut. That was key and seen from behind, I'm more balanced, not leaning left. My throw felt more powerful and I can see the hips clearing better just a couple days apart.

From behind, here I start with adjusting the grip, doing some pre throw stuff and slowmo.

From front, first throw full speed, skip to 00:48 for the high def slowmo. Should I swing back wider?

From side, skip to 00:28 for high def slowmo. Can you comment on balance in the x-step. Am I still leaning or having my weight tilted too far back? And am I turning/swinging back too early? I think I get the weight shift part better, also clearing my hips better.

Comparison from couple days ago.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah looking better in the finish. Your backswing starts too early and pause in the transition too long and backswing goes outside around your body then inside at the top, should be the opposite with your body getting more out of the way so you can swing straight back from inside to out/wide at the top of the backswing. See Inside Swing Drill.

Also looks like your upper arm collapses too much and shoulder turns around too much instead of the shoulder staying more linear back and forth and keeping the upper arm more taut.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
backswing goes outside around your body then inside at the top, should be the opposite with your body getting more out of the way so you can swing straight back from inside to out/wide at the top of the backswing. See Inside Swing Drill.
Been some time since I did this drill. Thanks for pointing the part about swinging back inside out. Doing the inside swing drill facing the wall right now and really see how I was doing the opposite. I see how my forward swing was telegraphing a shot out to the left and my hip is in the way of a straight shot causing all kinds of trouble. I think this will adjust a lot of bad positions I was getting into. Really need to go slow if Im going to successfully incorporate this in a full speed drive without doing old habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Also looks like your upper collapses too much and shoulder turns around too much instead of the shoulder staying more linear back and forth and keeping the upper arm more taut.
This one is harder for me to do as Ive probably been some kind of strong arming and opening the shoulder since I started throwing.
I understand why the shoulder part has to happen the way you describe it, but it's hard to do. Hopefully it's easier when I get in better position after work on the inside swing. Maybe hammers are a good starting point for practicing this. And throwing stand stills like bradley Walker closed drill or Seppo
Old 01-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 256 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosjnur View Post
This one is harder for me to do as Ive probably been some kind of strong arming and opening the shoulder since I started throwing.
I understand why the shoulder part has to happen the way you describe it, but it's hard to do.
Doing the stand stills is a great way to learn the feel for wide arm angle. It's so imparitve to the throw I always tell players to focus on only that and balance. Thinking of the battering ram analogy, throwing hammers, and even better, hitting something with a rubber mallet really help get the feel for it. Lock in that upper arm angle and just focus on the hit.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Bought a mallet and did some drills before I threw some discs.

Doing these drills being mindful of swinging from the inside, I'm still not completely getting it perfect, some times I think it's because I'm swinging a bit horizontal and my leg gets in the way.

Here's my first attempt swinging a mallet:Maybe the setup is wrong. Looks more like I'm swinging to the plant instead of past it.When I step back and fourth, kind of like a stand still elephant walk I see that I sometimes start to swing as I plant, and I have to concentrate hard on planting before swinging.

Tennis ball, trying to string together a sequence, looks like my leg is angled in the way and it makes the ball travel more horizontal around me rather than letting it pass through on a fully vertical plane.

Door frame drill. Like the other videos I think that I'm planting a bit off and the hip can't clear. This might make the shoulder shrug and I'm not pulling the door frame straight with a tout arm?

Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

And here are a few throws. First in normal speed, then in the end it's slow motion with more fps.
I think it's slightly better after doing the inside swing drill, but still not enough as seen on the shoulder shrug and upper arm angle from behind. I'm lining up a bit wrong off for the straight shot and also not swinging completely from the inside.

Looking from the side. In the beginning I'm lining up a bit too closed but corrects it on the next practice swing, and you can see that this opens up the swing a bit, but then I plant closed again, and this closed plant is a red herring from all my videos today. I tried to do more of a swim move than before and I certainly like the acceleration I feel from the disc. Slow mo high fps at 1:17.