Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,104 Times in 2,488 Posts

You aren't pulling the door frame with your rear foot driving the butt/weight forward and stretching your arm out wider through the shoulder/lat. You should feel your right shoulder being pulled further back than your left shoulder. When you let go of the door frame you move your front hip like a foot forward. My front hip doesn't move forward after letting go of the door frame, it braces up to catapult the shoulder/arm/disc forward of it. You may need to move your rear foot more forward of the door frame to make your backswing back longer. In the other drills I see the same issue with you not letting your shoulder/arm go looser in the backswing and the arm/disc being pulled out taut more away from your body. So when the disc pulls away from you, then any move you make with your body should translate to the arm/disc. You should feel your hip pushed forward and shoulder arm tensioned back more like a bow and arrow in the door frame drill.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 02-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,631 Times in 1,656 Posts

Yeah I think I would focus on feel more than anything right now. You know the positions to be in and lots of those goals, but the thing is you can't make yourself be in those positions. Got to feel why you go through these steps, and then you will be able to easily identify it during after because you are likely very aware of what your body is doing.

In the hammer swings, you are getting swung by the hammer in a sense. You are starting its motion, but then you are going with it on its pace, to make sure there isn't impact or you aren't getting pulled.

Instead YOU have to move first and then bring it along. Think of it that way, you are in control. You step with the leading foot, then swing the hammer down. As it is swinging up the other side, start to plant the other foot. Then swing it back the other way. Let it happen a bit more, but control it on the way down and through the arc. Feel your arm being heavy and swung with the hammer, but your body weight is causing them to swing.

This is how you control the backswing and power the forward swing, but also feeling the weight of your arm and letting it swing back is how you can plant onto the right leg and start the forward motion while the backswing is still being completed.

I think elephant walk and swinging in place back and forth with the hammer to feel the tempo and control the weight are key.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks again, I've been doing lots of mallet swings, and I think it's working. I think I still need more work on my timing and swing plane, but I think I'm getting less collapsed and more taut.
Before going to indoor practice I was paying lots of attention to Calvin Heimburgs footwork and wanting to be more Brinster-like I figured this was a good thing to try out. I did end up feeling more like GG, but I liked it at first try. Any feedback on foot work and my hopefully less collapsing arm?

Got into the way of the swing and released to the left on the last one.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,104 Times in 2,488 Posts

Looking good for the most part. Just need to lead your stride more aggressively with your butt turned forward and whole body forward of your trail leg which ever leg is trailing as you step.

In the first frame you can really see much more aggressively forward Calvin goes into the x-step with the butt leading from the rear leg and every ounce of his weight and disc is forward of the rear foot.

Second frame Calvin is landing more forward balanced of his trail foot so he hopped more over his rear leg while you are landing more behind your rear leg. Also note Calvin's shoulder is forward leveraged of the rear foot, so the pendulum is leveraged forward or inside the foot while it goes back.

In last pic note Calvin's front leg is turned further back and planting in less closed stance with foot more under or inside him. He really leads with butt turned further back in Door Frame and Hershyzer Drills.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 6.11.48 PM.jpg (56.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Last weekend before first tournament of the season. 1 day c tier. About 3 weeks to my first euro tour of the year. Wont post many form videos in season. Goal is just to trust my swing, establish a good routine and be fluid.

Throwing hard because It's into a wall. I dont see much improvement. Hard to get my butt leading and weight forward without feeling off balance. Tried to get my arm out wider in reachback. Kind of want to do a forward pump but I wasnt able to without feeling off balance. I think I want to slow the run up down a bit if possible. Any tips?

Old 03-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 231 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosjnur View Post
Last weekend before first tournament of the season. 1 day c tier. About 3 weeks to my first euro tour of the year. Wont post many form videos in season. Goal is just to trust my swing, establish a good routine and be fluid.

Throwing hard because It's into a wall. I dont see much improvement. Hard to get my butt leading and weight forward without feeling off balance. Tried to get my arm out wider in reachback. Kind of want to do a forward pump but I wasnt able to without feeling off balance. I think I want to slow the run up down a bit if possible. Any tips?

Calvin is just throwing outside to a target which is further away. Your target is inches away so it΄s bit harder to convince yourself to lead more aggressively mayhaps.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

In the backswing your shoulders are turning back ahead of the hips. You can see in the side view your shoulders are rotating back before the left foot inbehind step is weighted. Then once your body is ahead of that left foot and able to be balanced your hips start turning back...but your shoulders are already back there. So your backswing is out of sequence. I do think the forward pump could help you, because it would keep your shoulders forward or more parallel until the disc/arm comes back and then they'll wait for the hips to turn the torso. It's not a "rule" but in a lot of throwers the disc tends to swing back across the feet as the feet are uncrossing in the X-step or so. In your throw, the disc is already 12-18" behind the feet this point, showing how much your shoulders have turned back prematurely.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks. I agree, probably better to work on throwing outdoor too a target.
I think the sequence thing is the right way to think. Worried about the feet and footwork, my dominant tendency to swing out of sequence is showing. I need to fix this without thinking too much. Im thinking just warming up with swinging arm/hammer and leading/initiating the backswing with my hips, then doing slower run ups with a forward swing.
I might have another go at the reciprocating dingle arm, door frame 3 and maybe loopghost collapsing frame.
Problem is I dont want to think a lot of mechanical thoughts now. Might need to keep it simple.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

I love the elephant walk drill at 4:40. It's very simple and feel based. Take a step, then swing. You should be balanced because you're walking. What you should be doing is step with right foot, then forward pump to the right. Then step with left foot, start backswing. Then step with right foot, swing.

This should directly translate in feel to the same steps during the X-step, just moving sideways. Since you are walking forward, your spine should always be inside of your stance/balanced on a leg, so you won't have to worry about staying leveraged inside the steps...it will just work in this drill.

https://youtu.be/Y-KVWfUkQ3s?t=279

Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Looks like I have to swing my trunk around some more.