Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts
Default Understable Distance Drivers: Golf Lines and Distance Lines

This weekend during a round we played an elevated shot for a ~410' hole, where the teepad was 15-20' higher than the basket. When throwing discs that fade out for their arm speed, people's distances were what they normally are...the disc will fly out, lose speed, and fade away. The extra height doesn't do much for distance, it just gives it more time to fade to the left at the end essentially...unless you ride the downhill angle for extra speed I suppose. I threw two shots (downhill holes = good times), one was a Destroyer shot that faded out and only went about 370', the other was a Vulcan that I hyzer flipped on a line drive (height wise...laterally this was anything but straight) and it went 475'+. Which lead me to thinking about this topic...

We all know glidey/understable discs are harder to range because a bit of height difference changes where it ends up distance wise very easily. An OS disc needs significantly more power to go further past a certain point. So on a golf line I will throw this Vulcan on a hyzer flip and it will ride left to right, and it will at most start to fade forwards for me...often times it will hit the ground just as it is drifting to the right still, for 380-400' when I get it right. This is what I guess I call the "golf line" for this disc, it's a line drive that is fairly reproducible, with 10-15' of height.

Because it hits the ground while still drifting right or barely fading, I knew it had more distance/speed in it, but I didn't realize how much until this downhill shot. I threw the before mentioned shot at the equivalent of shoulder height, which on flat ground likely would have hit the ground as a cut roller about 300' out from me.

So what I am wondering is, if I manage to throw this disc with a higher trajectory, where it will ride left to right through the apex, then fade to straight or maybe come back a bit...is this a distance line or a golf line? At what point is this a "distance" shot, is it basically if I'm throwing it up at a very high angle? Is simply just trying to throw my hyzer flips another 5' or more higher than usual still golf lines? Also, if going for 430-450' how much height do these shots usually have?

I was pretty startled at how much more flight this disc had left in it when the ground wasn't stopping it (my point is the ground stopped its distance, whereas in the Destroyer case the fade stopped its distance). I'd love to figure out how to get this type of flight on flat ground, but I just don't know if this is something that I should search as a consistent shot or if something like that is just a for fun low % bomb.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,759 Times in 1,709 Posts

Sounds like you are describing a distance line more so than a golf shot due to the lateral movement, but it can be a fairly consistent drive when not trying to crush it 110%. Height depends on the width of the rim and how fast it's traveling, I'd imagine in your case you'd probably want around 25-30' height.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah it moved at least 50' left to right throughout its flight and landed a good 30' right of my aim still, definitely not the flight path of McBeth hitting 450'+ with a Destroyer.

On a big turnover distance line with that type of height do you visualize aiming through/at the apex itself, or at an angle of points along the way up? I realize I have lots of experimenting to do, but it's rain season and early sunsets...field practice doesn't come as often now as I would like.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 177
Niced 118 Times in 73 Posts

Discs become incredibly sensitive to hyzer/anhyzer as well as nose angles when you put some air under them because of elevation drop. There are very few drivers that can handle it without much effect, and I can only think of three: Sword, Trespass, and the TeeBird. However, blunter nose discs like mids and putters are less susceptible to angle sensitivity. Whenever possible, you are better served throwing a slower disc like a stable mid or putter, especially if placement is more vital than pure distance. Putters and mids are less likely to stall and or lose speed, and thus will remain aloft longer because of the elevation drop and will continue flying forward whereas a stalling or turned or driver will dive quickly as it loses its speed and lift.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,759 Times in 1,709 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml

Old 11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Thanks, it's interesting to read how extreme a lot of those angles and heights are that they aim for.