Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,133 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
playing solo it's always pretty easy call for me to make on what to do or not do.

Group play with discussion and what to do can get a little weird with multiple personalities chiming in. Seen and been in a few arguments in regard to that. Some groups really would benefit with a designated safety and public relations officer.
"Group think" can be a tough nut to crack. People have a tendency to feel a certain action or point of view, however inappropriate, is somehow justifiable when several of them talk themselves into it... even if (and sometimes particularly when) none of them would be all that inclined to feel that way on their own.

Presented with such a situation on the course, I present it as, "Doing the right thing is a mando."

The best you can do, as Sysiphus pointed out, is in a friendly and polite manner, explain to them where they are relative to the course. I've found it helps when you can point out the basket and tee to them. Most people are fairly receptive.
I've only run into one person who was a complete @$$hat about it.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 106
Niced 199 Times in 110 Posts

I use these opportunities to educate people about disc golf. I walk up to them and say " Excuse me would you mind watching me/us throw? I /we don't intend to hit you but you are in the danger zone of this disc golf fairway. If you could just watch me/us throw in case a errant shot comes your way. Thank You very much" I say this in the most friendliest way possible. If they are at all bothered by it I will skip a hole. But most kindly oblige.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 240
Niced 346 Times in 174 Posts

Skipping the hole or not, you should let him know he's probably going see some action coming his way if there are other players on the course.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Your option is probably the best route. Last week I made the poor decision to throw on a hole with a woman sitting on a bench 200 ft away. 49/50 times I hit my line and the disc will never go OB by the bench. As luck would have it, this was the 50/50 where i didn't turn over my shot, released weird, and my disc skipped off the ground right into the woman. I felt horribly and jogged over to see of she was ok, and she laughed it off saying she should have been watching and the disc thankfully caused no damage, not eve a bruise.

I'd sooner skip a hole than chance a pedestrian strike, especially if they're anywhere near where my line normally is.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Rock View Post
Your option is probably the best route. Last week I made the poor decision to throw on a hole with a woman sitting on a bench 200 ft away. 49/50 times I hit my line and the disc will never go OB by the bench. As luck would have it, this was the 50/50 where i didn't turn over my shot, released weird, and my disc skipped off the ground right into the woman. I felt horribly and jogged over to see of she was ok, and she laughed it off saying she should have been watching and the disc thankfully caused no damage, not eve a bruise.

I'd sooner skip a hole than chance a pedestrian strike, especially if they're anywhere near where my line normally is.
THIS. I'm very conservative about throwing on people, but recently I thought a woman walking was out of my noodle-arm range. my drive dropped about 20 feet behind her, but amazingly I don't think she heard it. no harm, but I would have felt pretty crappy if she thought I was throwing on her....

Niced: (1)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 35
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have been in a situation like this in a tournament. I explained to them that they were in a fairway where we would be throwing, so they might want to move. They just kinda shrugged it off, until a cardmate told them what had happened to his friend who had been hit.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 12
Niced 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
Some groups really would benefit with a designated safety and public relations officer.
Nice.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGchamp View Post
I have been in a situation like this in a tournament. I explained to them that they were in a fairway where we would be throwing, so they might want to move. They just kinda shrugged it off, until a cardmate told them what had happened to his friend who had been hit.
What happened to his friend?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 108 Times in 63 Posts

Depends on my schedule, if I need to complete a round and get home, I pick up and move on. I explain as I walk by they need to keep an eye out for other players since not everyone might see them. If I have time, I wait. Maybe open a drink, make a few phone calls or check the stock market. If I really need to play it due to a smoking hot score(rare event), I will let them know I am throwing, and once I know they are aware of my play, I go right on and play. Then I ask how they are doing and wish them luck. Those folks used to be every place, not as bad lately since many people have burned out on the game.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3216 View Post
I know with the shared nature of a lot of courses, this has to happen often, but I don't know the etiquette.

The 18th at my favorite local course tees over a small pond, about 150', then about another 60' up a steep hardscrabble bank to the goal. My typical play is to chuck my Atlas at a low angle to skid up the hill to putting distance. Tuesday, I had just gotten to the tee, and an older guy came walking down the hill and staked out a fishing spot right on my line. It wasn't much of a decision for me. I don't have the skills to take a different route at this point, so I just bagged it. But if I had a little more confidence in my shot, even if I knew it might pass fairly close to him, is there an established etiquette?
The established etiquette (well all learned this as children) is to not throw things at people.

You did the right thing. Outside of politely asking him to give you 30 sec's to play your shot, you did the only other thing you should do.

If the course were closed for an event, assuming the TD had permits to do so, you would be ok in telling (or asking nicely) him he needed to vacate, but in this case, I think you did well, and shouldn't be purposefully putting people in harms way.