Old 06-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
That review deserves to be deleted, it's simple not fair to Maple Hill. I'd gladly pay the $20 since it's my favorite course. For me just getting there 5 hours away cost way more than that in gas, tolls and food.
So since he's of another opinion than you his opinion does not deserve to be read by others and should be deleted from the site? Are you for real?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 110
Niced 58 Times in 30 Posts

This is a private course......end of story....they can charge what they want, make whatever rules they want...
it is up to the consumer to check these facts.....BEFORE heading out to play the course...OR, at the very least, BEFORE you
actually start throwing....

As far as the "disc retrieval" dilemma... a lot of private courses do not allow disc diving(Selah), but have no problem with using a retriever to get back a water disc. I haven't been to Maple Hill, but I would certainly be upset if I was told I could not get MY disc, that was 10 feet away and clearly visible, WITHOUT actually going into the water.

IF their rule is "no retrievers" at any time, I would certainly think twice before forking out 20 bucks to play there.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,389 Times in 712 Posts

I have never felt more sorry for private course owners than I have reading this thread.

All I can say is thank you to those that have allowed me to set foot on their property, many with zero expectations for compensation. The countless hours you've spent keeping your courses playable and the countless dollars you've spent on gas, mower maintenance, and mowers themselves (not to mention the stuff I don't know about) are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,316 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky Yutz View Post
This is a private course......end of story....they can charge what they want, make whatever rules they want...
it is up to the consumer to check these facts.....BEFORE heading out to play the course...OR, at the very least, BEFORE you
actually start throwing....
According to the reviewer, he checked the price online. It was different when he got there. That would bother me, too. Not enough to go on a rant, or screw the rating, but I wouldn't be exactly happy about it.

"According to the reviewer" being a vital caveat in this whole story. I have a strong suspicion that there's more to this story. Maple Hill has been famous and heavily played for a long time---have there been a lot of other people complaining about the disc retrieval policies?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

If and that is a caveat. If the information is correct about price and disc retrieval rules then that info is something useful to know before you decide to play there. The rating is not fair of course but I would want to know that information. For that reason I would not pull the review unless it became clear that the reviewer was misinformed and his info is not correct.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictenor1 View Post
If and that is a caveat. If the information is correct about price and disc retrieval rules then that info is something useful to know before you decide to play there. The rating is not fair of course but I would want to know that information. For that reason I would not pull the review unless it became clear that the reviewer was misinformed and his info is not correct.
I agree....but you can't separate the review from the rating. And the rating is clearly an attack.

More, a lot more, if anybody cares, at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co...dv&sh=c08b2089

Including others contending that the "no sticks to retrieve discs while staying out of the water" policy is not true.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 51 Times in 30 Posts

luckily we live in the united states (1st amendment) and this is a WEBSITE FOR REVIEWING DISC GOLF COURSES. cant believe you guys think this is "not fair" or should be deleted. SAD!

Niced: (2)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

I'm not suggesting it be taken down. I just said in another thread I wished we could rate without reviewing and I know this opens up a whole new can of worms but that's the issue here. The review in my mind is actually a helpful one ie it give info you might want to know when making the decision whether to drive and play there but the rating is certainly an attack. I would have no problem with removing the rating but leaving the actual review. I know it doesn't work that way.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictenor1 View Post
I'm not suggesting it be taken down. I just said in another thread I wished we could rate without reviewing and I know this opens up a whole new can of worms but that's the issue here. The review in my mind is actually a helpful one ie it give info you might want to know when making the decision whether to drive and play there but the rating is certainly an attack. I would have no problem with removing the rating but leaving the actual review. I know it doesn't work that way.
It's why I think he would have been more effective if he'd given it a 3 rating. That would certainly be well out of the mainstream of other reviewers---but not such a clear attack that it might warrant removal. That way he could ding the courses rating and keep his rant for everyone to see.....and to gleam the useful information in it.

Of course, it's Tim's website, his decision as to what reviews cross the line and should be deleted. He's certainly made that call on attack reviews and homer/boosterism reviews.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-04-2017, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeMH View Post
luckily we live in the united states (1st amendment) and this is a WEBSITE FOR REVIEWING DISC GOLF COURSES. cant believe you guys think this is "not fair" or should be deleted. SAD!
Don't be silly. The 1st amendment gives him the right to post what he wants on his own website (with some limitations). This site is governed by the site owner's rules and standards.