Old 10-20-2017, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 131
Niced 178 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
This is confusing to me. I mean, neither question makes any sense. Both Buhlow courses, Ford, Bistineau, PA Davis, Healthcare Connections...., both Lazarre courses and Highland are all better. I hate Flanacher, but I have to admit it's better even though I'd rather play Claiborne.
The courses I've played are Ford and Bistineau from the list above. I personally think Claiborne Whitetail is vastly superior to both of them. Ford and Bistineau are mostly wide open courses that aren't near as much a test of disc golfing skill as either of the Claiborne courses. Ford isn't even close.

Different strokes I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 325
Niced 221 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Sorry, I was a little terse and testy. I disagree anytime someone suggests the site's ratings are wrong; they are a consensus.
You hit on a key word: consensus.

This site alone has 85K members. The PDGA is approaching 100K. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people who play disc golf. But, golly, if the 22nd review for Langley Pond is only a 4.0, there's outrage.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
The courses I've played are Ford and Bistineau from the list above. I personally think Claiborne Whitetail is vastly superior to both of them. Ford and Bistineau are mostly wide open courses that aren't near as much a test of disc golfing skill as either of the Claiborne courses. Ford isn't even close.

Different strokes I suppose.
Yeah, I'd rather play a mixed course than 100 percent woods any day. I also don't agree with the test comments. Way too many random bounces and instances of pure luck in places like Claiborne.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,309 Times in 1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelboycraig View Post
You hit on a key word: consensus.

This site alone has 85K members. The PDGA is approaching 100K. There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people who play disc golf. But, golly, if the 22nd review for Langley Pond is only a 4.0, there's outrage.
My reaction was, "It's about time."

I found Langley Pond to be a letdown---a very good course, but nothing dazzling. But I owe it another visit before cementing that opinion; my first and only one was perhaps tainted by circumstances.

This shows a self-correcting mechanism in the ratings. A new, great course opens. People who love it, and locals with a bit of boosterism, rave about it. It debuts on these lists---or perhaps as just one of the highest-rated courses in its state---and the attention draws a wider range of players, from a wider range of the country. Reviewers #21-40 aren't quite so awestruck as reviewers #1-20 were. And the rating slides down a bit, to be replaced by the next Hot New Course.

In earlier days when the threshhold was 10 reviews, this was more pronounced. I remember Renaissance, Hippodrome, and Richmond Hill showing up as 5.0s.

Which makes those Top-10 and Top-25 courses with 50+ reviews more impressive.

Certainly, all of this is a small sample-size. And a self-selected sample; it's the consensus among people who are willing to write reviews. But it's the best info we have; certainly more representative of disc golfers as a whole than, say, one opinion. Even mine.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Supreme Disc Golf Authority

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 286
Niced 96 Times in 48 Posts

Pa Davis? Now that is amusing. You really do hate trees. Anyone who has played all these courses and rates Claiborne that low is obviously someone who is too lazy to practice enough to throw accurately. Whitetail’s fairways are plenty wide, and if you miss the fairway it’s got little to do with luck.

Just one of the pitfalls of DGCR, that the unskilled reviewers count just as much as the skilled.

Note to all reading this: the courses PMantle listed with the lone exception of Bistineau, can’t hold a candle to either course at Claiborne. Not even close. Fortunately the ratings here reflect that.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 325
Niced 221 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My reaction was, "It's about time."

I found Langley Pond to be a letdown---a very good course, but nothing dazzling. But I owe it another visit before cementing that opinion; my first and only one was perhaps tainted by circumstances.

This shows a self-correcting mechanism in the ratings. A new, great course opens. People who love it, and locals with a bit of boosterism, rave about it. It debuts on these lists---or perhaps as just one of the highest-rated courses in its state---and the attention draws a wider range of players, from a wider range of the country. Reviewers #21-40 aren't quite so awestruck as reviewers #1-20 were. And the rating slides down a bit, to be replaced by the next Hot New Course.

In earlier days when the threshhold was 10 reviews, this was more pronounced. I remember Renaissance, Hippodrome, and Richmond Hill showing up as 5.0s.

Which makes those Top-10 and Top-25 courses with 50+ reviews more impressive.

Certainly, all of this is a small sample-size. And a self-selected sample; it's the consensus among people who are willing to write reviews. But it's the best info we have; certainly more representative of disc golfers as a whole than, say, one opinion. Even mine.
We’re in agreement about all of this.

The sample sizes are too small now. Polling data requires a minimum number to represent an accurate representation . Of course, we’ve seen those data numbers still prove wrong.

Honestly, some of the best courses won’t ever sniff the top 10. Courses like Stoney, Renny, Nevin, and Paw Paw are going to have critics, and the occasional low rating, because they’re too tough.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Pa Davis? Now that is amusing. You really do hate trees. Anyone who has played all these courses and rates Claiborne that low is obviously someone who is too lazy to practice enough to throw accurately. Whitetail’s fairways are plenty wide, and if you miss the fairway it’s got little to do with luck.

Just one of the pitfalls of DGCR, that the unskilled reviewers count just as much as the skilled.

Note to all reading this: the courses PMantle listed with the lone exception of Bistineau, can’t hold a candle to either course at Claiborne. Not even close. Fortunately the ratings here reflect that.
I tend to agree. I have played Ford, Lazarre , Bistineau and Claiborne and Claiborne wins by a landslide in my mind

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

I see with Selah dropping I have no longer played the top course in the country lol
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 131
Niced 178 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictenor1 View Post
I see with Selah dropping I have no longer played the top course in the country lol
We'll have to meet up in Missou. Another John Houck course.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Road trip. I'm down