#131  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,492
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
Well there used to be two Auroras... the MS (midrange straight) and the MF (midrange fade), and multiple Orion for that matter (OLF, OLS, The rare OLR). So the acronyms really helped to clear things up. Not the greatest naming convention, but they make great discs. The OLF could be called the felcher and I would still bag multiple.
I totally see where they are coming from - I think just a tiny change in their approach would help illuminate the lineup. Just give every brick and mortar shop a poster with flight #s, and maybe try this:

Instead of OLF, OLS, AMS, etc try:

OrionL-F
9|5|-1|3


OrionL-S
9|5|-2|2



AuroraM-S
5|X|X|X

AuroraM-F
5|X|X|X



That way the name of the disc jumps out at you, allows you to develop an impression of the type of disc we're talking here. To me, they completely threw away such a potentially awesome naming convention by obfuscating things with stupid acronyms. I mean, there's nothing more badass in the universe than a quasar - they went the smart route on that mold and the rest of the distance drivers by keeping things simple. But on all the stuff I would actually be throwing as a beginner - mids and fairways - nope.

Discmania isn't much better but at least they include flight #s. Prodigy I actually consider the worst, combining numbers for mold names and plastic types.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Alexplz; 01-12-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM
HERB brooks's Avatar
HERB brooks HERB brooks is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Colorado
Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 347
Niced 103 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I totally see where they are coming from - I think just a tiny change in their approach would help illuminate the lineup. Just give every brick and mortar shop a poster with flight #s, and maybe try this:

Instead of OLF, OLS, AMS, etc try:

OrionL-F
9|5|-1|3


OrionL-S
9|5|-2|2



AuroraM-S
5|X|X|X

AuroraM-F
5|X|X|X



That way the name of the disc jumps out at you, allows you to develop an impression of the type of disc we're talking here. To me, they completely threw away such a potentially awesome naming convention by obfuscating things with stupid acronyms. I mean, there's nothing more badass in the universe than a quasar - they went the smart route on that mold and the rest of the distance drivers by keeping things simple. But on all the stuff I would actually be throwing as a beginner - mids and fairways - nope.

Discmania isn't much better but at least they include flight #s. Prodigy I actually consider the worst, combining numbers for mold names and plastic types.
Most of their stamps spell out the full name, the biggest exceptions being the Aurora and JLS (which as far as I know is the actual name of the mold). Sure the acronyms make things confusing, doesn’t really bother me now, although I must admit I was hesitant to try Millennium at first for similar reasons. I won’t begrudge anyone who doesn’t want to figure out their lineup... more OLFs for me
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:12 PM
ian.w ian.w is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 446
Niced 99 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
An inked 9/10 went for $22 on the collectors page. $20 is a good price.
Apparently they’re still readily available. Infinite has them for $17 and Marshall street for $24, same Texas stamp. I passed for now and picked a current run up from DGC for $12.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,109
Niced 577 Times in 293 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.w View Post
Apparently they’re still readily available. Infinite has them for $17 and Marshall street for $24, same Texas stamp. I passed for now and picked a current run up from DGC for $12.
Oh, those are Sirus Aurora's. I thought you were referring to the orange QMS (champion plastic with bubble stamp).
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM
ian.w ian.w is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 446
Niced 99 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Oh, those are Sirus Aurora's. I thought you were referring to the orange QMS (champion plastic with bubble stamp).
Oh ****, you’re right. I over looked that. The ones in person were definitely opaque-ish champ plastic, but they had the same Texas stamp. There was also a regular millennium plastic aurora-ms with that stamp. Slightly domey compared to the newer honeycomb stamp runs.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,109
Niced 577 Times in 293 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.w View Post
Oh ****, you’re right. I over looked that. The ones in person were definitely opaque-ish champ plastic, but they had the same Texas stamp. There was also a regular millennium plastic aurora-ms with that stamp. Slightly domey compared to the newer honeycomb stamp runs.
That is a really good and limited run of QMS. I would probably buy all of them if I were in Virginia.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/227148...nt_filter&_rdr
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 01-13-2018, 09:39 PM
blammo blammo is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Florida
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 444
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
That is a really good and limited run of QMS. I would probably buy all of them if I were in Virginia.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/227148...nt_filter&_rdr
We can't see it unless we are in the group and I can't tell what group it is. Can you just download the picture and then post it?

Also, does anyone know if there is a specific marking or stamp for the 1.8 mold variation on Millenium and/or Sirius plastic? I know they are out there, too.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 04-21-2018, 08:01 PM
TheBMeistor TheBMeistor is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cache Valley, UT
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 752
Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
I dropped all my old QMs, MD2s and MD3s for these. Amazing flight for sure. Can handle a ton of lines. Flex shots, hyzers, powered straight, forced turnover...does it all aside for a stable mid.
But please no one else buy them. I need more backups still.
Infinite Discs Chariot is a 1.8 QMS (or blammo might call it the Chariot c-line QMSd2 run 1.8).

I'll post pics here or in the Chariot thread later tonight.

So if you like the 1.8's like I do there will be an in stock off the shelf option. Current run is all color glow and max weight, next run will be a star like blend.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM
zj1002 zj1002 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Driving Range
Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,374
Niced 226 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBMeistor View Post
Infinite Discs Chariot is a 1.8 QMS (or blammo might call it the Chariot c-line QMSd2 run 1.8).

I'll post pics here or in the Chariot thread later tonight.

So if you like the 1.8's like I do there will be an in stock off the shelf option. Current run is all color glow and max weight, next run will be a star like blend.
Sweet! Almost asked Dylan the other day what mold this was. I guess I should have. Its been on my try out list since I pretty much only throw the QMS, Alpha, and Scorpius.
Reply With Quote
 

  #140  
Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 PM
TheBMeistor TheBMeistor is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cache Valley, UT
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 752
Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Dylan was the one I talked with yesterday, he said that Innova made the disc and told them (wrongly I think) what it was. We compared it to a bunch of Mako's, Sharks (regular and 3's) and my 1.8 QMS and I am convinced it is a 1.8 QMS. It does have Chariot lettering molded underneath the flightplate, but that is the only noticeable difference.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discs you used to bag and love, but then you switched and found a new love ;) ThomasOrion Discs 115 10-01-2015 01:34 PM
aurora ms Dscgolf13 The Marketplace 9 01-24-2014 10:13 PM
Aurora MS 1.7 DiscJunkie The Marketplace 0 08-20-2011 09:19 PM
MILLENNIUM AURORA MS Marty McFly Discs 24 01-20-2010 04:26 PM
Today I fell in love with a Roc and further in love with a Buzzz A.Mutt General Disc Golf Chat 23 05-23-2009 12:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.