Old 05-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 45
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
Looks like a bad hole. Should be either shortened to be a proper par 3, or lengthened to be a proper par 4.
I would look at the scoring separation before I called it a bad hole. If half the field gets a 3 and the rest take 4 or more, then think it would be ok. I think a bad hole would be one that 90% of people take a 3 on.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
Looks like a bad hole. Should be either shortened to be a proper par 3, or lengthened to be a proper par 4.

For pros and most high level ams that’s a long par 3. Maybe at ma2 and 3 you call it a 4 but for ma1 and Open that’s definitely a par3. And in no means a bad hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2432 View Post
I don't see that as being too long as a par three. (But I'm of the opinion that if it's a par 3, it should allow for the occasional ace.) At present, with your proposed hole design, I don't see many discs hitting chains from that distance.)
(imo)

I don’t think all par 3s should be aceable. You see tons of holes where it’s a par 3 but there’s no way to ace it. That being said that distance is definitely aceable for higher level players. At memorial last year Simon nearly aced hole 1 and this year we saw another ace on a very long hole. Aces don’t decide par, strokes needed for a high level player to get there decides it. The typical way you decide that is strokes fo a touring pro to reach it+2 and most touring pros can reach that pin in 1 drive.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

I'm assuming the blue dot is the tee? Looks like that tree on the left might make it a gap too narrow for the vast majority of pros to give it an ace run unless they have a booming forehand. For Blue players it's likely something between a tough 3 to a "everybody plays safe for a 3 b/c a 2 is way too risky to shoot for."
Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 328 Times in 157 Posts

That's a fine par 3 for gold-level players, but it's more like a par 3.5 for most players. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but they have their drawbacks. This type of hole ends up punishing bad play more than rewarding good play. Players like to be rewarded with a birdie if they make an amazing shot. On this hole, there's pretty much zero chance of most players ever getting a birdie, even with the best drive of their lives. But again, that's not a deal-breaker. If the entire course was set up like this, most intermediate or advanced players would probably get frustrated and say "screw it, the course is boring, i can't ever birdie anything, and i don't ever bogey anything either." The pros with 500' arms might like it, but you probably don't have many of them in your neighborhood. If most of the other holes on the course give players opportunities for birdies, then there's no reason not to throw a few overly long holes in as well.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

Disclaimer: I have not played this hole.
As far as a fun factor, bad hole. Like 90%+ of all disc golfers, I will NEVER throw far enough to get a putted birdie. A throw-in is possible but not likely at that second-shot distance.
As far as a "good hole", like others have said, we'd have to look at scores over time. If all you have are 3's and 4's and 5's, bad hole. We like to call it a scoring spread not a scoring cliff.
Call it a ProPar3 and an AmPar4
Or you can shorten or lengthen it, depending on the space available.
Just one opinionated person's opinion.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 475 Times in 201 Posts

Disclaimer: I have not played this hole.
As far as a fun factor, bad hole. Like 90%+ of all disc golfers, I will NEVER throw far enough to get a putted birdie. A throw-in is possible but not likely at that second-shot distance.
As far as a "good hole" (like others have said) we'd have to look at scores over time. If all you have are 3's and 4's and 5's, bad hole. We like to call it a scoring spread not a scoring cliff.
Call it a ProPar3 and an AmPar4
Or you can shorten or lengthen it, depending on the space available.
Just one opinionated person's opinion.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 68
Niced 133 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonyduce View Post
For pros and most high level ams that’s a long par 3. Maybe at ma2 and 3 you call it a 4 but for ma1 and Open that’s definitely a par3. And in no means a bad hole.

I'm saying that a good player will almost always take a 3, whether they are throwing great drives or not. If you really screw up you'll take a 4, or if you have very poor distance you'll take a 4, but nobody short of top pros are going to be able to reach that reliably for a birdie putt. I think that makes it a bad hole.

Good holes have scoring separation. You play it well, you get a birdie, you play it ok you get a par, and you play it poorly, you get a bogey or worse.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-03-2018, 01:07 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 60 Times in 52 Posts

I would call that a par four during casual rounds but seems like a good and hard par 3 for real rounds