I never practice putting! 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,172 Times in 577 Posts

One mold. And none of this "when I switch putters in a few months..." stuff. Get rid of the others. Don't be tempted to switch. repetitions are most important. It isn't repetition when you introduce variables.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 252 Times in 164 Posts

I use multiples, which I carry depending on wind, distance, etc.

Never understood the marriage to a single putter - People throw all kinds of drivers and mids depending on conditions, lie, etc.

I treat putters like any other class. Gonna need more than one mold.

Better dg'ers probably disagree, but I'm stickin to it.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
One mold. Consistency is key in pitting if you're just gonna throw whatever it may as well be a pie tin or dinner plate.
I guess I shoukd clarify this some. I practice putting with one mold. Throwing putters are different because I carry two molds therefore whem oractixing woth my throwers I use both molds.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 13 Times in 11 Posts

Voted for what I have around. Mostly I don't have a whole bunch free time do more disc I can putt at basket better for me. If I could I would have 10 same putting putters for practice but I don't and can't bring myself to spend that much money just to practice simple short putts
Old 06-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 306 Times in 174 Posts

I'm no great putter, but...

Sometimes I'll just chuck lots of discs within the circle to try and work on something small. Even mids sometimes. But if I want to be as serious as possible, I'd rather only throw one disc- not even multiples of the same mold.

When I used to shoot recurve bows a lot, I practiced mostly with one arrow at a time. Partially because I made them from cedar shafting and no two wooden arrows are perfectly alike, but also because shooting archery with no sights requires a crapload of concentration, and shooting multiple arrows back-to-back ultimately led to each shot receiving less concentration.

Shoot an arrow, go get it, walk back, shoot again, and you really focus on each shot. I feel like putting practice is the same way- at least for me.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-15-2018, 04:26 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Over time I've used numerous, now that I'm settled I have about 20 Clutches that I use (and sold/traded/gave away the others). Depends upon how "built" your bag is and how leisurely your mindset is about disc golf.
Nearly the same mold I use, Magent/Titanic mold. I have 3 Magnets old one 2005 that is stiff as they come in Pro D, 2 Jawbreakers each with its own purpose and a sharpie copy of ring of stamp on them so I can use them for better, thumb placement. If I lost the Pro D stiff hard Magnet I might look at a Clutch in the stiff plastic and see if I like the disc, if not I know a guy who uses the Clutch though the soft premium X like plastic one. Prior to August 2017 I had the stiff 2005 mold my brother used for a month when he was trying to find a putter mold and a newer softer 2006 hard Pro D Mangnet that I warped hitting a tree on a long putt. Then I got a reason to get the Jawbreaker plastic. I also wanted to see if the delamination was going to happen like it did to old one or two run of color burst putters from the 2000's. The Jawbreaker discs do not, they got the plastic better this time for most of them.

For 98% of my putting I only use my Magnet mold otherwise if I am practicing the flick putt or uphill/downhill putting I use my Lighting Upshot #2, or U-2 in Prostyle plastic.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
At least 10 of the same mold. I do it that way, because...well, that's my putting putter. I want my grip to be consistent. Also on longer jump putts the flight numbers start to show, and you really need that to be consistent.

I guess if you don't want to invest in one putter enough to buy multiples, old putters that feel close enough and fly the same in the circle couldn't hurt too much.
Yep I agree with the longer putts, flight does change enough to make a difference everything about 20-25 feet and out for me the wind changes how close I could be and still have a close putt.

Longer then 35 Feet out about 37-40 feet back I am using a Shark both the old Pro and a Star Shark at 174 grams for my putting style putt or like a short midrange shot.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-15-2018 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
When I was still living in NH I had a few baskets around the house and I would play that game quite a bit! Great way to improve and stay consistent for sure! Sadly I don't have a basket out here in Kansas so my putting practice has to be done at the course right now.
Just get a pole and paint two lines of where a basket if you hit between these lines the disc will go in on average 95% of the time.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-15-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:55 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 573 Times in 306 Posts

I like to practice with 5-6 judges weighing 172-173 grams ranging from 25-40 feet. I do this 90% of the time. Sometimes i will give wizards a go (same weight), my friend suggested i use them as my wind putter, this started in 2016.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
One mold. And none of this "when I switch putters in a few months..." stuff. Get rid of the others. Don't be tempted to switch. repetitions are most important. It isn't repetition when you introduce variables.
I don't get why some players unless they are having problems finding a putter they like, would use a Different mold every 6 months. I just keep one as players who use Wizard mold hate the G9I plastic so I can't sell the disc it would just sit online for ever. Other then that I use the same mold for main putter and a different for uphill/downhill putting that most likely will be one day be replaced with one of my Jawbreaker Magnets when that one gets too floppy to use as a regular putter.