#181  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,496
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts
Default

DX aside, I recommend any Star AX3 you can get your hands on. Expect gummy star with a puddle top.

Throws plenty S/OS and slots right under a Mortar if you are looking for something with a little less speed and ground play for touchy FH ups. Less OS than a Harp, slower than a Zone. On the other hand, less versatile than a Zone or Harp as well possibly in the sense that it's not filling that super OS tweener category. I haven't thrown them backhand much but as long as you're not expecting distance, these will go straight and then fade with the best of them.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM
ArtemisClydFr0g ArtemisClydFr0g is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 112
Niced 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
DX aside, I recommend any Star AX3 you can get your hands on. Expect gummy star with a puddle top.

Throws plenty S/OS and slots right under a Mortar if you are looking for something with a little less speed and ground play for touchy FH ups. Less OS than a Harp, slower than a Zone. On the other hand, less versatile than a Zone or Harp as well possibly in the sense that it's not filling that super OS tweener category. I haven't thrown them backhand much but as long as you're not expecting distance, these will go straight and then fade with the best of them.
I second this. The odd thing is that I have an S-Line P3x and the plastic is very firm. I have both because I prefer a bead for backhands but not for forehands. I'm a little surprised in the difference in firmness considering they are both relatively new molds.

I also picked up a champ glow AX3 and it was beyond puddle top, more like a cereal bowl. It flies great, but it's so sunken that I really can't fathom it not being warped in shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,496
Niced 513 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisClydFr0g View Post
I second this. The odd thing is that I have an S-Line P3x and the plastic is very firm. I have both because I prefer a bead for backhands but not for forehands. I'm a little surprised in the difference in firmness considering they are both relatively new molds.

I also picked up a champ glow AX3 and it was beyond puddle top, more like a cereal bowl. It flies great, but it's so sunken that I really can't fathom it not being warped in shipping.
Word. Sounds like they are really committed to this crazy puddle top thing. Pics? How firm is the champ?
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:49 PM
ferretdance03's Avatar
ferretdance03 ferretdance03 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 96
Posts: 1,002
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I have two of the Proto Star runs, 3 of the stock stamp Stars, 3 Lusters, and 3 Color Glow Champ- only one of the Luster is puddle top, the rest are all board flat.

I'm currently bagging a proto that I've been throwing since they released and a CG. The proto will still flex out of an anny release, but I can get it to hold a turn on a really torqued forehand. The CG is overstable enough that it will flex out of almost any release angle and hyzer to the ground. Because of that I can push it a little further than the star on a forehand flex line, which is where I'm mainly using it.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 PM
ArtemisClydFr0g ArtemisClydFr0g is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 112
Niced 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Word. Sounds like they are really committed to this crazy puddle top thing. Pics? How firm is the champ?
I don't have a pic handy right now, but the color glow champ is pretty flexible. I've felt the crowned eagle MD3 in glow champ and it's more flexible than that. Closest comparison to its firmness is probably an S-Line P2, but with a slightly more firm flight plate.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 11-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Jolt Jolt is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,273
Niced 1,296 Times in 761 Posts
Default

I like my AX3 but love the Luster plastics. . .i see that Infinite have Luster Aviar 3 in stock.

But how does the Luster Aviar 3 fly vs the Star AX3 ?
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 11-04-2018, 12:22 AM
Taco8slo Taco8slo is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 37
Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Discgolfvalues has luster
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 AM
ferretdance03's Avatar
ferretdance03 ferretdance03 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 96
Posts: 1,002
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I like my AX3 but love the Luster plastics. . .i see that Infinite have Luster Aviar 3 in stock.

But how does the Luster Aviar 3 fly vs the Star AX3 ?
A touch more overstable in my experience.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 11-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Jolt Jolt is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,273
Niced 1,296 Times in 761 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretdance03 View Post
A touch more overstable in my experience.
interesting, really like the Luster plastic . . .a Luster AX3 whould be nice, but maybe that would be TO OS
Reply With Quote
 

  #190  
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Jolt Jolt is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,273
Niced 1,296 Times in 761 Posts
Default

So with one Star and one Luster Aviar3 you get a wide spectrum from stable to OS in one mould. . . easier than beating a AX3 to stable and having one new OS
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BigZ /Crystal Zone vs Glow/Star Aviarx3 Gmtata01 Discs 9 11-05-2018 07:29 PM
Luster Aviarx3 mgamache8 The Marketplace 0 07-02-2018 08:29 PM
Matching pair of NEW FR Star AviarX3 175g Emoney The Marketplace 1 04-23-2018 09:23 PM
Aviarx3 Star LeftyBomber Discs 2 01-15-2018 02:07 PM
Gstar polecat / Star Aviarx3 prototype LeftyBomber The Marketplace 0 01-15-2018 08:59 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.