Old 12-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 404 Times in 158 Posts

I'd say that if you are throwing lines that make the hole harder instead of easier, you're doing it wrong. Why should players necessarily care what the designer intended? Creativity is important. I still have a feeling you simply object to players throwing lines that you are not capable of also throwing. I get it. I don't have a particularly serviceable thumber, either. But I'd certainly use it if I had it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
If that was a response to me, I'm more looking to force some of the players in my area to not take routes, other than the designer intended. The only Pro I know of who throws a ton of OHs, is Matt Dollar, and he throws that garbage MVP stuff.
Why do you say MVP stuff is garbage? It is as good as any other manufacturers disc. You sound very trollish.

If a line is there, and there is no Mando on the hole then it can be deduced that the designer intended for any possible line to be used. If the lines those guys are throwing work better than yours, than maybe you need to learn those lines.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 129 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
I'm more looking to force some of the players in my area to not take routes, other than the designer intended.
...why?
if I can throw a thumber, hit a line, and overcome a half assed course design...then why shouldn't I be able to?

I went to GBO for the first time this year, and Peter Pan did it right. Most of the tees were under a canopy. So, good luck getting that overhand there. I had to throw a different shot. If the defense shows a football team a run blitz, should they not throw the ball, or should they just go ahead and hand it off anyway?
"well, they weren't ready for the pass. so we thought we would take the loss of yardage."

This thread can't be for real.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbernine View Post

This thread can't be for real.
We are being trolled

Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treekickluv View Post
It is a design issue. And we dont have the money or landscape to create sick discgolf courses. My suggestion is a quick fix to a glaring problem. The best showcase is when lizotte can just throw a hyzer bomb over all the trees and just dont care about the intended route. I wouldnt say hes a cheater but we are going to se more of that abuse because of lack of rules.
So you are proposing to fundementally change the way courses are designed based on what Simon lozotte, the guy with arguable the most practical distance in the history of the sport, can do.

Sounds legit.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,202 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote:
"Alright pitcher. Enough of the fastballs. Every fourth pitch has to be a slider".
"You told him I was gonna throw the deuce?"

"Yup. Man that got out of here in a hurry. I mean anything travels that far oughta have a damn stewardess on it, don't you think?"

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 12-19-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
If that was a response to me, I'm more looking to force some of the players in my area to not take routes, other than the designer intended. The only Pro I know of who throws a ton of OHs, is Matt Dollar, and he throws that garbage MVP stuff.
There have been other successful pros with a strong overhand game, such as Brian Schweberger. I don't see how they're any different than a pro with a strong forehand game or a pro with a strong backhand game. The goal of the game is to get from tee to basket in as few throws as possible. Players should play to their strengths.

As for players taking routes not intended by the designer...unless those routes were created after the course was designed (say, mother nature brings down a tree or something to that effect), if a player "beats" the design, that's a short-coming of the designer. A good designer should be able to force players to take a particular route, or take away a certain shot/route, with his design. No rules necessary.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a course owner/designer many years ago. He was sitting at tee one during a tournament watching the action, and he was grumbling about some of the players (myself included) going "over the top" on the hole instead of going through the gap in the trees. It wasn't players throwing overhands, just high annys (RHBH) and hyzers (LHBH) over the trees and getting within circle 2 for a putt at 2 on a hole he "designed" to be a two shot dogleg par 4.

It was only a 370ish foot hole so for the pros and top MA1s, not really a par 4 at all. He just designed with the average rec player in mind (since that was the majority of people who played the course, himself included) and never considered guys with the power to throw 400+ who could "cheat" the design by throwing over it. So his design was flawed only because of his limited imagination. And it was also an easy fix to take away the over the top line...moving the tee up about 15-20 feet. It would have both put the tee under a tree limb but more so it would cut the angle to make it much more difficult and far less desirable to even try the shot over the trees, more so as time went on and the trees grew taller. And the loss of 15-20 feet of distance wouldn't substantially change the hole he wanted it to be. But he preferred to be stubborn and whine about the players "cheating" instead.

Niced: (4)
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,171 Times in 547 Posts

Yeah that's basically what is being illuminated in this thread.

Top players are often better at playing the course than the designer was at designing it.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,308 Times in 1,467 Posts

That, and the propensity to put many top-tier events on open courses. Easier to video, easier to hyzerfest, easier for critics to watch the hyzerfest on video.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 11
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
"THAT GUY CAN RUN FASTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE! MAKE HIM WEAR LEAD WEIGHTS!".

Abuse?
Seriously?

Can we landfill this thread already?
This isnt even a comparison and a fact that you dont understand. Let me bring it to your brain capacity:

****ty course design and nature so bad we need rules to bring skill into the equation.

Isnt 18 holes suppose to test the players capacity? Not 18 holes of clubbing up and down discs with the same throw.