Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
At that distance I think most people are putting. Why park it when you can hole out.
I am at the distance of 40-50 feet getting closer to the basket with my midrange Shark's (~175 grams)then putter. However the Shark is a hybrid putter midrange in my opinion. I use a slower putter mold, Magnet so I do not like the disc for true approach shots. However approach putting is a different thing with same mold just putting from further then 20-26 feet to 35-37 feet but not trying as much to get the disc in the basket however still trying for that. Anything past that I am using the Shark and doing more an approach shot or putter approach style.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 496 Times in 203 Posts

You can putt and still park it.

Not every putt has to be run at the chains at speed.

Learn different putting styles, don't just keep trying the same old same old.

Learn release angles and what happens when your disc hits the floor at different angles (hyzering into a hillside is nearly always a bad idea)

Learning a putting style that allows you to have a go at the basket but never be more than 10' out if you miss increases your confidence IN ALL ASPECTS OF THE GAME massively. It allows you to take on 60' putts and know that nine times out of ten you will make the return anyway. It makes your circle to hit off the tee/approach a lot larger. Your confidence for your whole game goes up. Your percentages go way up as a result. It will be more of a shovel/loft/push putt than a spin putt to achieve this to begin with, but over time you can learn to throw nose up spin putts that get to the target and drop.

To answer your original question, yes lots of people do what you do. However I have never met anyone over 900 rating (probably even 850 rating) that does this. If you want to do it and have fun whilst playing, great, go for it. If you want to be an Intermediate level (900 - 935) or above throwing a fairway from 50 - 60' is not the best way to achieve it (apart from for certain escape shots in woods and weird lies)

A good way to learn approach shots with putters is to start off really stupidly close to the basket like 10' or so and throw with an approach setup. Feel what it takes to achieve then drop back 5'. Don't jump back too quickly, don't cheat it, throw a lot of shots at each station and feel comfortable with what you are doing. Once you feel comfortable drop back another 5' and repeat. You should be able to get out to 150' in no time and it very quickly tells you how to range and control your shots, allowing you to run the chains but not blow too far past/left/right. Doing the closed shoulder snap drill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LffYBb1vQjQ is another great way to learn a simple and effective approach shot with a putter (as well as helping all other aspects of your backhand)

Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.2
Courses Played: 8
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcσn View Post
Just be sure you make the comeback putt.
On days like that I wish for a square putter.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 101
Niced 556 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
What if once in a while the driver goes in? It never rolls on me. Putters do which some cases I screw up the 2nd try. From a mental angle it requires me to not think as much as using a putter. Just my opinion.
One misconception about laying up is people think you should throw it softly, which is probably what you do when you throw a putter and it rolls on you. You want to match the angle of the disc to the terrain near the basket, but you also want to throw it firm and confidently. If it hits softly, it has a better chance of slowly popping up and rolling away.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 101 Times in 71 Posts

Ive been using my Suspect and my Fairway off and on from about 50' out. The suspect I have in CB is so shallow the center almost touches the ground as soon as the rim if even land.

I tried a few putters/mids like the Gator, Harp, Judge, Wizards..........they roll much more than something like my Suspect or River where I can land it evenly right around the basket. I was never taught this habit, but I like to use 6 or less discs during a round. I like just picking up my fairway and not thinking about roll outs.

I will say that since I am improving overall, I am gaining distance and can see where the fairway driver might go way past it. It is very rare. I get frustrated cause I know if I use that fairway to "park it" I am better off. Lots of different opinions are making me try it the "right way".

Old 01-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Have you measured so that you know you're only 50' out? I'm wondering if you're more like 90'-100' in these scenarios, even if you think you're only 50' out. It still just seems so strange to me that you can get a fairway to stop 50' away...that's a REALLY short distance, and those discs are not designed to be able to stop that quickly.

Also other than on a severly steep incline and really fast green, a Judge or Wizard shouldn't roll more than a few feet if you're throwing from only 50' away. For example, I had a terrible putt this week in that 50' range that caught a wind gust/landed on edge/skipped on ice...and it still only rolled 15'. That's pretty close to a worst case scenario for that range, barring a comically fast green. Something doesn't add up.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Birdie Member

Honestly it could be 50 or 65......I am just guessing since I did play a lot on holes where they did the white putting circle line.

If its a windy day or something like a hill is around the hole.......I am throwing my Suspect or Justice.

The hardest part to get away from is that however the hell I am doing it is working. I'd go with my putter or a low mid if I was shorter to the pin.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

For real, just go play some putter only 1 disc rounds. Seriously, go do it, then watch your scores start to drop.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
For real, just go play some putter only 1 disc rounds. Seriously, go do it, then watch your scores start to drop.
I'll try it out. Thanks