Old 01-03-2019, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,612 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
I agree with your point, but have to nitpick.
Bowling lanes use different oil patterns that constantly change with use, and even more so with temp/humidity changes. The oil breakdown changes are significant and dramatically affect the shot outcome. It is the job of the bowler to adjust to that by varying their shot or ball selection.
Now understand I was not knocking bowling. You have to admit though that adjustments in bowling are far more subtle and smaller than DG. I have to believe that it would be fair to say it requires more precision and consistency than DG. It's every bit as challenging as DG but in very different ways.

Man...haven't been bowling myself in ages. That needs to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
That was the OP's point. OK to be different, just asking for information on how to adjust to each.
Ugh. Yeah you're right. I gotta slow down sometimes before responding so quickly.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 286
Niced 196 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
I love it when people complain about prodigies. If they had an even tougher comp legal version to putt on I’d buy it.

Like “waaaah I want all my garbage putts to count” or the disc kisses chain on the way by and they’re like “damn prodigies!” Lol

It’s the best. I love emotional displays. So telling.
They are terrible catching baskets. No emotion involved.

Never lost a tournament because of them, never been mad about them not catching...
They might be worse than mach 1's and 3's. Unless you putt dead straight center at 61.54% power they stink. Too soft they throw the disc back out. 1inch above center the deep tray height doesnt catch the disc as it drops down and they fall outside. Too hard they bounce off. Off line on either side? Forget about it. Prodigy designed a basket force shield with these baskets. In town here we have Discatchers (all varieties) Veterans, Mach 1,Mach 3, and DGA. I did look at the sharpshooter or strikezone...whatever the Prodigy narrow one is for a short course...but no way would we put the full baskets in.

Sounds like the emotion here is the defensive variety.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 286
Niced 196 Times in 83 Posts

I dont mind playing on any type of basket. Everyone is saddled with the same issues. Its like an open vs wooded course. Some baskets catch hard putts, some dont. So if you putt a certain style you may benefit here but lose there...just like players that can throw 400ft hyzers but cant throw a 200ft technical sidearm.

What I HATE is basket flags. Those things stop more terrible putts from flying 40ft away. They should be banned from play.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 552 Times in 257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
They are terrible catching baskets. No emotion involved.

Never lost a tournament because of them, never been mad about them not catching...
They might be worse than mach 1's and 3's. Unless you putt dead straight center at 61.54% power they stink. Too soft they throw the disc back out. 1inch above center the deep tray height doesnt catch the disc as it drops down and they fall outside. Too hard they bounce off. Off line on either side? Forget about it. Prodigy designed a basket force shield with these baskets. In town here we have Discatchers (all varieties) Veterans, Mach 1,Mach 3, and DGA. I did look at the sharpshooter or strikezone...whatever the Prodigy narrow one is for a short course...but no way would we put the full baskets in.

Sounds like the emotion here is the defensive variety.

Maybe it’s a confidence thing but I have zero issues on them. Never understood the complaints but I do appreciate the apprehension they give some players. I have hammered those baskets from 200+ out and never once felt cheated after hundreds of rounds.

I personally reserve my disdain for single chain layer discatchers. They are just so awful, they hurt my insides. Even scoring is just so unsatisfying on them.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

All cars drive differently, different brands and styles of golf ball play differently, etc. As a disc golfer its up to YOU to learn how to make a putt on whatever basker you're playing on. The end.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 996 Times in 554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
You're comparing throws, not where the throw ends up. What if the pins at EVERY bowling alley were set in a slightly different pattern with varying distances between pins? A strike at one alley would be a spare at another. That's what drives people crazy about baskets.
I still think it's an apt analogy. The oil pattern on the boards is the chain assembly, and where and how you make contact will result in a strike (a made putt) or not (spit out). The Pro Bowling Association has a set of standard oil patterns, just as our tour has a set of different approved baskets. In bowling, its the nearly the whole game. In disc golf its just when we're circle two or in.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 242
Niced 1,628 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I still think it's an apt analogy. The oil pattern on the boards is the chain assembly, and where and how you make contact will result in a strike (a made putt) or not (spit out). The Pro Bowling Association has a set of standard oil patterns, just as our tour has a set of different approved baskets. In bowling, its the nearly the whole game. In disc golf its just when we're circle two or in.
I think the analogy is only good to a slight degree. Oil patterns break down pretty quickly, making for an ever changing challenge. Oil patterns also vary quite a bit from lane to lane. Baskets stay the same over time and are fairly consistent from basket to basket.

Other than that......some people need an excuse. Spend a few minutes practicing before your round to determine what putts work well on the baskets you are going to play to. The hard part is when courses have a mixed basket set up.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Par Member

Niced 115 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think the analogy is only good to a slight degree. Oil patterns break down pretty quickly, making for an ever changing challenge. Oil patterns also vary quite a bit from lane to lane. Baskets stay the same over time and are fairly consistent from basket to basket.

Other than that......some people need an excuse. Spend a few minutes practicing before your round to determine what putts work well on the baskets you are going to play to. The hard part is when courses have a mixed basket set up.
Speaking of putts who will challenge me Monday? Will I see you there? LETS GO

Old 01-06-2019, 01:16 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Oh yeah I forgot one round’s worth of casual observation DEFINITELY equates to hard facts. Silly me. I’m such an idiot sometimes!
And I have asked a person online who was a Prodigy disc user for a year in 2017 up till they had to remake some of the molds he was using like the company did before with other molds. He has played on those basket types and he said the ones with the regular outer chains catch better as the Prodigy basket model with chains on both inner and outer set having the links you have to know how hard to putt into the basket at the level it is broken in at and when new the basket model both inner and outer set having the links are sticky and players tend to have discs bounce off unless they are a mega hard putter. He was a Dynamic Disc and other trilogy player until this year when he stopped using the discs due to how the quality of the plastic was getting more and more inconsistent. Rec Rob is the guy.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 01-06-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 552 Times in 257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
And I have asked a person online who was a Prodigy disc user for a year in 2017 up till they had to remake some of the molds he was using like the company did before with other molds. He has played on those basket types and he said the ones with the regular outer chains catch better as the Prodigy basket model with chains on both inner and outer set having the links you have to know how hard to putt into the basket at the level it is broken in at and when new the basket model both inner and outer set having the links are sticky and players tend to have discs bounce off unless they are a mega hard putter. He was a Dynamic Disc and other trilogy player until this year when he stopped using the discs due to how the quality of the plastic was getting more and more inconsistent. Rec Rob is the guy.

I only speak of the single outer strand Prodigy baskets. I've never seen one that had connected outer chains in the wild other than the marksman baskets which are freakin sweet.

T1 and T2 Prodigies are by far my favorite type of baskets. I have a ton of confidence throwing at them but that's just me.