#31  
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM
7ontheline's Avatar
7ontheline 7ontheline is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 59
Posts: 1,213
Niced 136 Times in 79 Posts
Default

100 years ago women weren't allowed to vote and a century later they still have some catching up to do in terms of equality and opportunity, especially if they don't fit the biological mold you spelled out in #23.

If someone wants to give them a leg up with a little help, I don't see the problem but doing nothing just maintains the status quo.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-26-2019, 01:06 PM
nitzua's Avatar
nitzua nitzua is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Courses Played: 14
Posts: 17
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
a century later they still have some catching up to do in terms of equality and opportunity
i'm curious where you think women are still lacking with regards to equality and opportunity. equality of opportunity does not mean equality of outcome.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macedonian Troll Farm
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,056
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts
Default

Oh God damn, we're gonna turn this into a third wave feminism thread, aren't we? People it's pretty simple, if someone wants to invest their time and money to produce more women's disc golf content there is nothing stopping them. Women, men, really smart gorillas, other sentient beings with opposable thumbs, etc are all open to doing their thing. I'd love to see more FPO coverage because the field has a lot of good players and there is decent parity now but I'm just one dude. You can't force people to care about or watch FPO just like you can't force people to go to WNBA games. If the entertainment value is there people will support it. Otherwise it will just have to take a backseat in clicks and views to MPO until such a time when there are a lot more women in DG as a whole to provide the grassroots base for viewership.

Instead of whining about patriarchy and prejudice people should spend more time encouraging mothers, sisters, daughters, wives, girlfriends, etc to play and get the bug like we have. Start women's only clinics, etc. There is no magic bullet that solve everything, it all has to grow organically from all over. Hopefully that Disc Golf Dame can plant the seed for women's DG coverage and grow it from that angle. If they do it well all we can do is support them.

Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-26-2019, 02:10 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Oh God damn, we're gonna turn this into a third wave feminism thread, aren't we? People it's pretty simple, if someone wants to invest their time and money to produce more women's disc golf content there is nothing stopping them. Women, men, really smart gorillas, other sentient beings with opposable thumbs, etc are all open to doing their thing. I'd love to see more FPO coverage because the field has a lot of good players and there is decent parity now but I'm just one dude. You can't force people to care about or watch FPO just like you can't force people to go to WNBA games. If the entertainment value is there people will support it. Otherwise it will just have to take a backseat in clicks and views to MPO until such a time when there are a lot more women in DG as a whole to provide the grassroots base for viewership.

Instead of whining about patriarchy and prejudice people should spend more time encouraging mothers, sisters, daughters, wives, girlfriends, etc to play and get the bug like we have. Start women's only clinics, etc. There is no magic bullet that solve everything, it all has to grow organically from all over. Hopefully that Disc Golf Dame can plant the seed for women's DG coverage and grow it from that angle. If they do it well all we can do is support them.
Remember, this started with someone looking to support such things, and someone calling them out for political pandering and someone else saying they might be creepy. I'm simply saying, bugger off, if someone wants to do something that has a good end result, we don't need a political or social commentary.

I just don't understand the need to look at things folks do in the most negative interpretation as opposed to the most positive?

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-26-2019, 02:22 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,923
Niced 1,634 Times in 715 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Remember, this started with someone looking to support such things, and someone calling them out for political pandering and someone else saying they might be creepy. I'm simply saying, bugger off, if someone wants to do something that has a good end result, we don't need a political or social commentary.

I just don't understand the need to look at things folks do in the most negative interpretation as opposed to the most positive?
Leave the above and landfill the rest of the tripe.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 PM
AliceSprings AliceSprings is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Niced 7 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Oh God damn, we're gonna turn this into a third wave feminism thread, aren't we? People it's pretty simple, if someone wants to invest their time and money to produce more women's disc golf content there is nothing stopping them. Women, men, really smart gorillas, other sentient beings with opposable thumbs, etc are all open to doing their thing. I'd love to see more FPO coverage because the field has a lot of good players and there is decent parity now but I'm just one dude. You can't force people to care about or watch FPO just like you can't force people to go to WNBA games. If the entertainment value is there people will support it. Otherwise it will just have to take a backseat in clicks and views to MPO until such a time when there are a lot more women in DG as a whole to provide the grassroots base for viewership.

Instead of whining about patriarchy and prejudice people should spend more time encouraging mothers, sisters, daughters, wives, girlfriends, etc to play and get the bug like we have. Start women's only clinics, etc. There is no magic bullet that solve everything, it all has to grow organically from all over. Hopefully that Disc Golf Dame can plant the seed for women's DG coverage and grow it from that angle. If they do it well all we can do is support them.
I can whine and found a women’s league at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Lazerface Lazerface is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 822
Niced 477 Times in 231 Posts
Default

"In 2019, I'm really making an effort to support any women generated DG video. Can anyone point me to those content creators?"


OH HOW DARE YOU. HOW DARE YOU.

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-26-2019, 07:27 PM
BrotherDave's Avatar
BrotherDave BrotherDave is offline
Verified Jurkface
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macedonian Troll Farm
Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 15,056
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Remember, this started with someone looking to support such things, and someone calling them out for political pandering and someone else saying they might be creepy. I'm simply saying, bugger off, if someone wants to do something that has a good end result, we don't need a political or social commentary.

I just don't understand the need to look at things folks do in the most negative interpretation as opposed to the most positive?
It's current year, if you're not being offensive you have to be offended. Those are the rules now.

*guy makes fairly innocuous thread*
*guy replies with sarcasm*
[choose your own adventure: Ignore the opinion you don't agree with and make helpful reply to OP

OR

Spam the thread with more bad opinions]

*spamspamspamspamspamspamspam...*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceSprings View Post
I can whine and found a women’s league at the same time.
That's the American spirit!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:02 PM
7ontheline's Avatar
7ontheline 7ontheline is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Midtown Memphis, TN
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 59
Posts: 1,213
Niced 136 Times in 79 Posts
Default

^Verified, user title checks out


Quote:
Originally Posted by VLaForce2002 View Post
In 2019, I'm really making an effort to support any women generated DG video. Can anyone point me to those content creators?
I saw Alyssa VanLanen's ad on the Memorial live coverage. Worth a look IMO.

https://www.instagram.com/alyssavanlanenimages/

patreon.com/alyssavanlanen
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 04-10-2019, 12:56 AM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,991
Niced 4,223 Times in 2,240 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post


Channel is called Disc Golf Dame
They finally posted some vids from Wintertime Open...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZz...MqXNrV0bqlgXhg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.