Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?
Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded. 27 17.53%
The sun is hotter than it used to be! 17 11.04%
The attitude that Ed's dead long live McBeth.. Don't these kids know where we came from! 0 0%
Trading "hippies" for "hipsters" 14 9.09%
Too many discs! Back in my day it was a putter, mid and driver. 10 6.49%
The reclassification of my current distance driver as a "fairway driver" 4 2.60%
Mowed and manicured courses, back in my day the rough was rough! 3 1.95%
Thumber, tomahawks, OH.. That's not how a disc is supposed to fly dumbass 8 5.19%
Some 14 year old throwing 200' further than me. 52 33.77%
I've got my own complaint.. See below. 19 12.34%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 65
Niced 592 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolfy View Post
Do I behave alright for someone my age?
Clamoring for attention, perfectly acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Grown-upness peaks at a certain age, just like strength. The best we can do is hang on to part of it.
Do you have a graphic representation for this statistical analysis?

Also, sorry everyone for poking the bear. I thought my humor was obvious.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
Clamoring for attention, perfectly acceptable.

Do you have a graphic representation for this statistical analysis?

Also, sorry everyone for poking the bear. I thought my humor was obvious.
I'm also sorry if I come across as over zealous. I'm just psyched that I got my **** back in check, was seriously worried a few months ago.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 735 Times in 514 Posts

I'm SURE Steve has a chart if he has enough data to make one..
Old 05-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Courses Played: 4
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm only 34 but have worked a lot of construction and have the knees and joints of a 40+ year old. But my question isn't for me, I'm looking for some info for my dad who is 60+. HE actually got ME into disc golf very recently and we've gone all in. We're both very new though, and I've done a lot of looking on this forum and on the internet in general and haven't found a lot of good info, and I thought maybe this would be the best place to ask.

I'm looking for disc suggestions for a guy who is about 60 years old and has only been playing 1 month. He bought a starter set but the discs are 165-179 grams and are obviously too heavy for him. Should he be throwing about 150 weight? Should he consider going even lower? He's in pretty good shape for an older guy, but he's also worked very hard his whole life and has aches and pains. He also hasn't ever stretched much which is something we're trying to work on.

He's been throwing mostly about 180'. He did have a bit of a breakthrough the other day and got a few to 250', though the wind may have helped and he hasn't been able to do it consistently. Obviously his form has a long way to go, but he's been strong-arming and his arms get very sore. Should he consider throwing mainly forehand at his age?

Any disc suggestions or general tips for an older guy would be appreciated, thanks in advance. I'll get out of here for now since I'm not allowed, but I'll see you in a few years.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 885 Times in 340 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivvves View Post
I'm only 34 but have worked a lot of construction and have the knees and joints of a 40+ year old. But my question isn't for me, I'm looking for some info for my dad who is 60+. HE actually got ME into disc golf very recently and we've gone all in. We're both very new though, and I've done a lot of looking on this forum and on the internet in general and haven't found a lot of good info, and I thought maybe this would be the best place to ask.

I'm looking for disc suggestions for a guy who is about 60 years old and has only been playing 1 month. He bought a starter set but the discs are 165-179 grams and are obviously too heavy for him. Should he be throwing about 150 weight? Should he consider going even lower? He's in pretty good shape for an older guy, but he's also worked very hard his whole life and has aches and pains. He also hasn't ever stretched much which is something we're trying to work on.

He's been throwing mostly about 180'. He did have a bit of a breakthrough the other day and got a few to 250', though the wind may have helped and he hasn't been able to do it consistently. Obviously his form has a long way to go, but he's been strong-arming and his arms get very sore. Should he consider throwing mainly forehand at his age?

Any disc suggestions or general tips for an older guy would be appreciated, thanks in advance. I'll get out of here for now since I'm not allowed, but I'll see you in a few years.
I'm almost 62 and have been playing most of my adult life. I suggest Dad goes 150 class with speeds 7, 8 and 9 discs.
150 Star Tbirds are great!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 735 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:

Haha old farts have good advice..

Smooth is far... and all that crap.
Basic tips:
-start with a standstill kind of.. Approximately 35 degrees with your back shoulder at the basket. Seesaw lightly backwards onto your rear foot, cock your arm back when you get there
-as you move forwards get your arm motion happening
-follow through, the trick is not stopping your body right before you release, leave yourself 3'+ at the front of the tee for a follow through half step.
-the arm isn't entirely where the power is, don't ruin it prematurely. Your body is trying to "crack the whip" which is your arm.. Arm should follow the body.
There's lots of stuff to research...

Discs
-150 class is excellent there's lots of recommendations on that, everyone will chime in, you could start a thread just on that. My standard are Leopards, Roadrunners (could go 160), I saw 150 star Teebird, good disc but more stable. Relays are also good by MVP

-don't discount the value of a 170g putter vs a 174g lighter weights can help get it up to speed.. But its probably not worth getting a 150g putter until you smooth out.

-get a Comet, or a few more Comets, they respond well to lower armspeed and are excellent for improving your form. Don't get one heavier than 173g. Many people like X plastic.

So basically a putter, a mid (Comet) and a driver.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 05-21-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 935 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
Nope I'm pretty ugly.

But I work hard and still find im able to laugh at petty comments like yours.
Petty? No....Snarky? Yes

A sense of humor is helpful as you enter your golden years.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

150 class would be great. I wouldn't recommend anything faster than a Teebird. and 180' thrown accurately will be 250' without it. sounds like you guys are having a good time. I got my dad hooked and he's 86.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:

My best advice is to look at recent Dave Feldberg videos where he illustrates his straight-elbow, Swedish style backhand form. It's a lot less moving parts, easy to learn from a standstill, and seems a lot less taxing on my joints than the more orthodox, American style. You can even use it to work your way into the American style if you want b/c by the time you get Swedish figured out, you have all the foundational stuff needed and just the elbow stuff to sync up.

The key to any of this is to throw the disc more like you're throwing a hammer (leverage) rather than like a ball or similar object. The smoother you are, the more you'll feel this leverage working and be able to add power to it. So stop strong-arming NOW. The 150 class discs are great for newer players and people with less arm speed because they don't take as much effort to get up to speed. The caveat is that the lighter the disc, less you can feel the hammer "head" of the disc (distal end of the disc) getting heavier. So the lighter discs are not as easy to feel the effects of leverage. The most important thing is to improve your form so that you're using leverage to execute the throw rather than your arm muscles. So if you get some lighter discs, it's not a bad idea to go through the motions first with a heavy disc akin to the way a batter on the on deck circle uses those weighted donuts on his bat.

You can strong-arm forehands just as easily as backhands. There are a lot of advantages to learning forehands though.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Petty? No....Snarky? Yes

A sense of humor is helpful as you enter your golden years.
So true. So you are going to go find one for yourself? Ha, now that is funny my friend