Old 06-19-2019, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 577 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
THIS!!! This is what I've been needing to hear about since day 1. This sounds exactly right and how to throw far without strong arming. Now if I can just figure out how to do it, haha Thank you so much for this explanation. I haven't read ANYTHING like this the entire time I've been playing and studying the throw, and yet it might be the single most important thing to understand in order to unlock the distance with ease!
Here is a follow up post from the same person (JHern) and a link to the thread...
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...d6a272cab0af3e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHern
I've been trying to find an image or something that would illustrate this, but no luck. Here is a fictional story to illustrate what I had in mind: Imagine somebody badly broke their shoulder joint somehow, on their throwing arm. To heal it properly, the doctor decided to immobilize the shoulder by making a plaster cast which keeps the elbow held out to the side. The plaster cast covers the entire chest and shoulders front and back (kind of like the shoulder pad rig worn by football players, but plaster), and the cast also extends down the upper arm all the way to the elbow. The person is then forced to walk around with their elbow pointed out sideways. They can't move their elbow up, down, forward, backwards, or anywhere at all. It is held firm by the one-piece cast that is rigidly attached to their upper torso. Their lower arm and hand hangs down from the elbow, and is free to move about the elbow joint.

OK, got that picture? Now, here is my claim: this person could throw a disc farther than 300' fairly easily. And here's why: all they have to do is swivel their hips back, and with power starting from the ground up through firmly planted legs, they rotate their hips/torso/shoulders back open quickly, and their lower arm will whip around and zoom forward very fast. Put a disc in their hand and have them release it when the arm is near full extension, and that disc will be flying very quickly. It will be moving much more quickly than they could have achieved by keeping their body fixed and trying to whip their arm forward with their triceps strength alone. This is the whip.

BUT DON'T TRY THIS CAST AT HOME! Unfortunately, this person will only get to throw the disc like this once, because they'll break their elbow joint backwards since the cast is fixed in place and the arm can't follow through. The upper arm's momentum will carry through and the biceps will be unable to arrest the motion. This would be extremely painful.

What you want to do is pretend as if you had this cast on, but that the cast suddenly disappeared just after the disc leaves your hand, and then your arm can relax and follow through so that you don't, in fact, break your elbow backwards. But just a split second before the disc rips out, you should still try to stop your arm from swinging open with all your might as if it would break if you failed to stop it. Grip and clamp down as hard as you possibly can on the disc with all your might during this moment, and feel the disc fling off your fingers with a rapid spin.

Does all that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,785 Times in 1,714 Posts

When you do this in slow motion you can't tilt forward over the toes because you will be off balance. Stand upright in neutral joint alignment so you could stand on the leg effortless forever.

In the backswing you will notice your rear hip never turns back behind the ankle a la Hogan Power Move/Butt Wipe/Hip Depth. You still have a lot of weight pressure on your front toes as your rear leg is resisting shifting balance to the back leg and not allowing the hip to turn.

Shifting back forward to the front leg you might feel tilted backwards slightly being stacked upright on the front leg.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 3.00.57 PM.jpg (50.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
THIS!!! This is what I've been needing to hear about since day 1. This sounds exactly right and how to throw far without strong arming. Now if I can just figure out how to do it, haha Thank you so much for this explanation. I haven't read ANYTHING like this the entire time I've been playing and studying the throw, and yet it might be the single most important thing to understand in order to unlock the distance with ease!
That is basically what I'm demonstrating in my Stop Hugging Yourself/Rounding and Reciprocating Dingle Arm video.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133733

Old 07-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 24 Times in 19 Posts

Mannnnnn I know I've been slacking when I'm bumped from page 1

I am still leaving a massive amount of mph somewhere because although I'm hitting pretty consistent lines, I'm not seeing 350'+ distance.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Your left arm/elbow out is killing your weightshift and rotational speed/balance on front leg, and stopping your follow thru/deceleration of right arm/shoulder short.

Bring left elbow back to front linearly into the body, not rotationally around the body. Keep your left palm facing your body like holding a cup/beverage, your palm is facing out pouring the beverage out in the backswing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90&t=9m42s

And drag your rear foot forward with the elbow to get upright on front leg.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Looks to me like you are pushing the torso/sternum with the rear leg rather than really landing closed with your butt/lower spine moved from the left leg and landing on the right leg before swinging. Because your rear foot is on the ground late, and the rear knee/femur stay static in space during the swing.

In the behind view your plant leg stride looks to slightly arc from left to right like ( shape, which I believe means that you are opening up or losing hip load as you are striding forward. Rather than more of a ) feel over your left foot and under your body which would make you rotate/load internally naturally as you are striding.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Par Member

Good stuff, thanks fellas. I see what you're both saying, SPI have some more time to get some work in this evening, so I'll be back.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Par Member

Posting without much review. Just goofing around in the garage while the baby naps. Goal is obviously not pushing my body into rotation.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Back is super hunched, when you land you'd just fold over chest to front knee. I'm guessing if camera was behind teepad perspective, your butt would be behind your plant heel and chest would be over foot. Likely not enough knee bend so that you can have your body over your foot more centered. You then swing down/forward through to your left, the rear leg doesn't counterweight you.

Should feel more upright on the plant leg balanced when you land. Then as you swing you should feel that your chest opens forward and upward almost, not down and squished. If the chest opens forward more then hopefully you'll feel the rear leg will want to counterweight it away from you a bit. By chest opening I'm not just meaning rotating targetward, but your arms kind of opening outward so your chest feels like it sticks forward too.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Par Member

SP you're the man. Read your notes a couple times, and this is my attempt at applying. Quick glance shows I'm more upright, with some rear leg counter. But hips don't look/feel right.