Old 08-26-2019, 10:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,425 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post

I will likely go Merrell for my next DG shoe. They fit like a sock and are built to last. I’ve got a pair of approach shoes from them that are years into being beaten without mercy and still going strong.

Interesting. I've had several pairs of Merrells over the years. Maybe 5 or 6 different types and they'd all last about a year before stitching would come undone, sole would start to separate, some stress point somewhere would start to give out. I can't recall a pair lasting much longer than that. Granted, I play several times a week in all weather conditions, so they're getting a lot of use.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 11:18 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Interesting. I've had several pairs of Merrells over the years. Maybe 5 or 6 different types and they'd all last about a year before stitching would come undone, sole would start to separate, some stress point somewhere would start to give out. I can't recall a pair lasting much longer than that. Granted, I play several times a week in all weather conditions, so they're getting a lot of use.
That is about as long as I have ever had shoes last before They started falling apart. Boots, I had a pair cheep mid weight hunting boots I wore outside since 2005 to 2015 10 years in very brutal winter conditions every winter doing all kinds of things yet they stood up. Shoes and low cut hikers I have only had last a year or 2 at most with a super cheep pair of Athletec shoes from Walmart Still having them due to how stiff the upper was when I wore them even the inside upper was stiff for the 2 years I wore those shoes. I tend to with a narrow heel and normal width everything else wear out the heel more then anything though these black No slip kitchen shoes with memory foam insole, (I have to put a thin sock liner from an old pair of shoes in them to feel right) from Filla tend to wear out in the upper with thin vinyl layer attached to the reground leather upper for waterproofing abilities starts peeling and then the shoe is worthless when that thin layer of vinyl water resistant material peels off.

The older types of very cheep sneaker shoes found at places like Walmart in the 2000's tended to last longer because they were made in a design that was not made anymore due to how stiff the shoe was when new. modern cheep shoes, Sneakers are more in a cheaper version of a style already made seeing some like a pair of skateboarding Shoes I wore, Air speeds blew out every 3-4 months due to looking like a pair of cheep made Etenies. Also now some Cheep shoes from Walmart can't even tell brand look like a few Adidas shoes with the Micro-bounce mid sole and one knit upper but cheaper. Even some shoes from Starter were made better back in the 2000's and in late 2000's after 2007 it seemed the newer cheep shoes got to be more like copies of other already out there shoes just made cheep enough to work for pice point they sell for.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-26-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:22 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 136 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Too smart for his own good.
I think the same thing about you with every smarmy post you make.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 565 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
No the Keen minimal shoes were different as were the old trail running shoes, totally different to the point they are not anything like the low cut hikers you see today from Keen. Those minimal shoes are or were almost like the Merell minimal shoes but say/said Keen on them. The problem is Keen is now a work brand rather then a rec brand and so the work shoes non kitchen type with Steel toe bumpers look ugly from just about every brand including Sketchers. The Close toe sandals made by Keen are not bad and often seen worn by those doing Kayak or Canoe packing trips or those camping in soggy weather areas. Now the brand seems to not make those running sport shoes anymore with a shoe that is like an all leather version of an old style 1990's trail running shoe.

Thinking back Merrell makes the Moab, a few models were made for the Moab 240 mile running/foot race my bad and others as fast packing shoes so one can do a multi day run with a heavier pack then a water hydration pack/vest made by some of the hydration pack companies and do the modern style Ultralight fast packing.

Dude. Relax. It’s a joke. Merrells are generally ugly too.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 565 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:

I am specifically looking at the Forestbound Waterproof. The full leather body seems very durable and bordering on boot/sneaker, also hot feet mean nothing to me since I’m in steel toes, ski boots or mountaineering boots all day long.

Danner also makes some pretty appealing models that could apply to DG, but again the color ways are just ugly as hell. Can’t anybody just make a damn black shoe anymore?

To me it’s more about foot shape and construction. Merrell’s shape just hives with my foot in a way nothing else has so far so I can deal with other issues more readily.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjamesd View Post
I was able to do this. While browsing the sale I put a pair in my cart for $91, and saw a deal that you can get $20 off your first order of $75 if you sign up for their mailing list. So I did that and got a coupon code emailed to me, then I signed up for an account to get free shipping. Ended up with a pair of the swift r2 gtx for $71.
So I signed up for the mailing list, and they gave me a 15% off coupon, but I can't get it to stack with the save35 coupon code. Do you have a link to the sign-up for the mailing list?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 269
Niced 60 Times in 44 Posts

Waiting on the speculation posts that he is making more than DJ, Schauffele and Sergio, lol
Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 132
Niced 535 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
My Merrels generally last about 18 months under moderate to heavy use, and I can push them close to 2 years. The Keens I had lasted 9 months. No contest for me. YMMV.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:35 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 695 Times in 394 Posts

Might take this deal up for some cheap kicks, not for discing though. Any pair of Adidas I've at all abused just fell apart on me (except for the old Sambas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Worked for Subaru.
As a '13 Legacy 3.6R owner, yeah they've ****ed up pretty good the last decade

Old 08-27-2019, 02:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,279 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
It's kinda relative.

I evidently walk on the outside of my shoes so I crush the soles on the outside and distort the upper; six months and my shoes are mangled garbage. New Balance, Adidas, Asics and Saucony have been tried in the last decade; all have failed. Merrells last me a little over a year before I wear down the outside of the soles. The uppers last a little longer before they tear along the stitching and cease to be waterproof. For golf I can get two seasons out of them, but by the end they are pretty trashed. Not as trashed as a pair of Adidas is after six months, though. So I don't get a very impressive amount of use out of Merrells, but compared to what I get out of other shoes I'm pretty happy with it.