Old 09-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
You mean speculation, not observation.
Semantics on your part, but to get granular: speculations based upon observations.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,341 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
IMHO this has been the plan/goal all along. Jussi failed with the DGWT, and Dodge failed after burning too many bridges and his hamfisted way of excluding Jomez and CCDG and Smashboxx, which alienated a LOT of viewers.

I'm not saying this as what I want or don't want, just as an observation: I don't know if disc golf is ready for PPV at this time. Try it if you want to, but don't be surprised if expectations of its success in generating revenue aren't met.
DGWT did not paywall media, nor did DGPT, seems like you're taking potshots there.

Despite that, I agree with the principle of your post, which is that the PPV model was not a big success when used with DiscGolfPlanet.tv and therefore many will be hesitant to trust it again. However, that was in reality a completely different age of technology and media. Production capabilities at comparable costs to 10 years ago paint a far more optimistic picture for the future.

Plus, Patreon is a hybrid model of PPV already. It's a band-aid, a temporary solution. You can't scale if you can't put a more concrete value on your content. That's just the way the industry is evolving.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 221 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
DGWT did not paywall media, nor did DGPT, seems like you're taking potshots there.

Despite that, I agree with the principle of your post, which is that the PPV model was not a big success when used with DiscGolfPlanet.tv and therefore many will be hesitant to trust it again. However, that was in reality a completely different age of technology and media. Production capabilities at comparable costs to 10 years ago paint a far more optimistic picture for the future.

Plus, Patreon is a hybrid model of PPV already. It's a band-aid, a temporary solution. You can't scale if you can't put a more concrete value on your content. That's just the way the industry is evolving.
^^^^
How I know a thread is dead for me =)
Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,018 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
And I can already hear people yelling that it will stifle the growth of the sport. And I disagree. Because you could have the NTs behind a paywall and the DGPT free, or vice versa. Or A-tiers not behind a paywall and everything else? I don't know the right solution. It would all be easier if we had a big corporate sponsor, but I don't see that right now.
I agree. Money is got to start coming in from somewhere or the sport will stagnate and start shrinking.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,303 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I agree. Money is got to start coming in from somewhere or the sport will stagnate and start shrinking.
How has the sport grown to this point, without all that money?

Niced: (4)
Old 09-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,775 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Currently that money is coming from manufacturers.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
No, not taking potshots. It'd be very clear if I had been.

I did not say that DGWT or Dodge's DGPT were paywalled, only that it is my belief that was the intent of what they were doing (especially Dodge), but they didn't get there.

Eventually the best solution will work itself out. But it may not be what some think or hope it will be...
Old 09-04-2019, 11:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Currently that money is coming from manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
(Yes, I reversed these on purpose)

Manufactures putting money back in the sport with the expectation of a bigger paycheck down the road. Volunteers from clubs and private course owners, like you, of course help out a lot.

It appears that we are seeing manufactors stalling out. I don't have any insider knowledge, but it appears that most are cutting back on funding, cutting their line of discs and some their pros.

It appears that DG is a failure at getting outside sponsorships; if this site is a valid cross section of players, no wonder.

As it appears manufactors money os drying up and without outside sponsor money, volunteer effort will only go so far in keeping the sport afloat.

In no way am I suggesting that the cure-all is pay per view coverage of the DGPT, nor do I claim to know the entire solution. What is obvious is that here we have people upset that someone would charge $2000 to come to town and film a tournament whilst in regular golf, many have a single driver that costs that much.

We have a long ways to go.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 09-04-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 245
Niced 1,629 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
(Yes, I reversed these on purpose)

Manufactures putting money back in the sport with the expectation of a bigger paycheck down the road. Volunteers from clubs and private course owners, like you, of course help out a lot.

It appears that we are seeing manufactors stalling out. I don't have any insider knowledge, but it appears that most are cutting back on funding, cutting their line of discs and some their pros.

It appears that DG is a failure at getting outside sponsorships; if this site is a valid cross section of players, no wonder.

As it appears manufactors money os drying up and without outside sponsor money, volunteer effort will only go so far in keeping the sport afloat.

In no way am I suggesting that the cure-all is pay per view coverage of the DGPT, nor do I claim to know the entire solution. What is obvious is that here we have people upset that someone would charge $2000 to come to town and film a tournament whilst in regular golf, many have a single driver that costs that much.

We have a long ways to go.
I think this begs the question.....why. IMO, because sponsors understand that the sport does not lend itself to bigtime viewer numbers. It is a tiny niche sport. Sponsors are much better off putting money towards bowling, darts, cornhole, poker, surfing.....

Niced: (1)

Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I think this begs the question.....why. IMO, because sponsors understand that the sport does not lend itself to bigtime viewer numbers. It is a tiny niche sport. Sponsors are much better off putting money towards bowling, darts, cornhole, poker, surfing.....
With the exception of corn hole, all of those sports cater to, in cross section, those more affluent. Cornhole == beer.

That very well could be the answer. Pay per view match play where the winner of each hole has to take a shot....
I only half way say that tongue in cheek. I would pay to watch that.