Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default If Peter Piper picked a pair of putters...

Ive been in a putting funk lately.. so I'm trying out pairs of putters to try and get me out of it.

Ive always put with hard magnets, ones that are usually around 6/10 maybe 7/10 condition so they have a lot of flex in the plate but still a firm rim to grab.

I tried a pair of classic judges and I liked them.. but they were much smaller in my hands then the magnets and they seemed to float a bit more

I just bought a pair of matching SS chalky wizards to try out next, haven't gotten them yet.

What other pairs?

Notes:

Don't like really firm putters.
Don't like glossy hard to grip putters (KC pro aviars, star aviars, opto pures, etc)

Honestly don't care about beads, that I know of. Magnets have one, but can do without.

Would a pair of voodoos be worth trying even though I'm trying wizards?

I think I'd like to try a pair of softer pures, do they have any chalky type ones?

Oh I also got a 400 prodigy putter to try out also, but not a pair of them

Also, anyone who says "PUTTER EXAMPLE /thread" will be shot. I will also make it a mission of mine to never try the putter you suggested. I'm looking for some actual feedback
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion: try out those Wizards. Wizards are great, and SS is a nice blend that's not like throwing a chunk of wood, but won't go squishy in the summer.
Or since you already like Blizzard Pigs, I know a guy with a bunch of Pro Pigs who'd be happy to let a few go. Or, I recently have been experimenting with the Jokeri Basics, and they feel like a Pig without the thumbtrack, in a very grippy base plastic.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

Personally I use 3 putters in my bag, Rhyno, Tank, and 86 Softie. Rhynos are a nice overstable putter for headwind putts and putts that I need to hyzer around a tree. Tanks are the straighter putter for anything inside 20 that has an open shot. 86 Softies are for my anny, uphill or outside the circle shots, nice finesse disc that just floats right at the basket. With these 3 putters, there's no shot that I don't have.

If you like the pigs, then the Tank and Rhyno should feel very natural for you
Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Broad Street Bully

Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungedude42 View Post
My opinion: try out those Wizards. Wizards are great, and SS is a nice blend that's not like throwing a chunk of wood, but won't go squishy in the summer.
Or since you already like Blizzard Pigs, I know a guy with a bunch of Pro Pigs who'd be happy to let a few go. Or, I recently have been experimenting with the Jokeri Basics, and they feel like a Pig without the thumbtrack, in a very grippy base plastic.
I'm not going to lie, i'm excited about the wizards. I threw a chalky one like a year ago and i really liked it but I was all like MAGNETS MAGNETS LOLOLOL.

I got a perfectly matching pair of 174g SS blue chalky wizards with white grateful dead bear stamps. Pumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswoods1984 View Post
Personally I use 3 putters in my bag, Rhyno, Tank, and 86 Softie. Rhynos are a nice overstable putter for headwind putts and putts that I need to hyzer around a tree. Tanks are the straighter putter for anything inside 20 that has an open shot. 86 Softies are for my anny, uphill or outside the circle shots, nice finesse disc that just floats right at the basket. With these 3 putters, there's no shot that I don't have.

If you like the pigs, then the Tank and Rhyno should feel very natural for you
I would love to try all 3 of those putters, especially the 86 softie. I dont' think I could get used to actually putting with a rhyno but I'd try it. Also, isn't a tank a bit like a piranha? If so, i already putted with piranhas, not looking to go back to that mold.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Have you tried any Vibram? The Sole is very similar to a Magnet.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:54 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,388 Times in 711 Posts

I would look into Zero Medium Pures (softs are supposedly floppy soft) and Gravity Clutches if I were you. Those are both fairly neutral like your Magnets though. The Clutches were designed for Steve Rico to replace his beloved Magnets in fact so maybe my suggestions aren't up your alley.

There's also the old "everybody goes through it, just keep at it with your current putters" cliche.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Broad Street Bully

Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Not the putters, no. I didn't really like the other vibram discs I threw but I'd at least like to get one in my hands.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

I would love to try all 3 of those putters, especially the 86 softie. I dont' think I could get used to actually putting with a rhyno but I'd try it. Also, isn't a tank a bit like a piranha? If so, i already putted with piranhas, not looking to go back to that mold.[/QUOTE]

The newer versions of the Tank are just beadless Rhynos, and the older versions were microbead Rhynos. Definitely not like a Piranha at all. The Rhyno is more of a utility putter when I need to hook around a tree, throw into a headwind or I sometimes use it for drives
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Broad Street Bully

Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I would look into Zero Medium Pures (softs are supposedly floppy soft) and Gravity Clutches if I were you. Those are both fairly neutral like your Magnets though. The Clutches were designed for Steve Rico to replace his beloved Magnets in fact so maybe my suggestions aren't up your alley.

There's also the old "everybody goes through it, just keep at it with your current putters" cliche.
I would like to try both of these also!

My magnets aren't going anywhere. I have four 4 chains magnets in varying degrees of wear. They're in the side pocket of my mojo just in case I'm out on the course and want to switch back.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Agree with Grunge. 86 the chalkies, and go with S or SS.

Or be adventurous and get some RFF's.