Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 86 Times in 56 Posts
Default Dart P&A?

I'm looking for a long range putt & approach, driving putter to fill a developing slot in my bag. I have been using a couple of Challengers (a DX , and X-Soft) as well as a DX Rhyno for all my putting and short approach shots. I've been using mids for longer approaches and drives on shorter holes but find I am overshooting the target more and more with them.

Judging by the flight charts and Innova's description I'm thinking that the Dart may fit the slot I'm trying to fill. A search of "Dart" didn't turn up a lot of information on the forums.

Is anyone throwing the Dart and if so please tell me a little about your experience with it. Is it a good long range (50'+) putter? Does it stick on landings or tend to roll a lot? How is it off the T-box on shorter holes? I play a lot of heavily wooded courses so I'm considering going with Champion plastic for its durability... any pros or cons to CH Darts?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 6
Niced 45 Times in 28 Posts

The other day I was shooting a round with a buddy. He has a g* dart and was doing quite well with it. He nailed an 80' deuce for eagle with it. Me personally I use a nova for the shots you are referring to. For me the nova is a point and shoot disc. If it gets in the chains, it is going in the basket. Wherever it lands it stays. I have only had one roll away with it and any disc would have done the same the way it landed.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dart has a reputation as one of those love it/hate it kind of discs from what I've seen. A lot of players, and I guess I would fall into this camp, have no problem throwing a more traditional putter like an Aviar, Wizard, or Judge as a driver and long approaches, so there isn't much need for a faster putter like the Dart. However, if you can't get the distance you need out of your challengers, but you're overshooting your mids, then something in between might work perfectly. You'll never know if you don't try.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

Just throw your Challenger harder.

All the Darts I've seen lately have been dome city. Like, use one for your cereal in the morning. That's not to say they don't fly nice, I don't really know. But that dome.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The short answer is try a dart. You can get a DX or R-Pro inexpensively.

I love Darts but throw them only in certain situations, straddle putts and drives or approaches that need to move gently right. I don't think you'll throw it much farther than you throw the challenger.

As far as sticking or rolling away, I believe that has more to do with the throw than the putter. Throw with the angle of the landing zone, and the putter will stick. Throw shot that fades in on it's edge, and it has a chance to stand up and roll.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 6
Niced 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
Just throw your Challenger harder.

All the Darts I've seen lately have been dome city. Like, use one for your cereal in the morning. That's not to say they don't fly nice, I don't really know. But that dome.
The g* dart my buddy has, has far less dome than any of the rpro darts I have seen.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

agreed on the dome of new ones. it's love or hate.

also from my experience, when I used darts for long putts, if I missed I'd miss bad!
and usually take a bogey or worse. but that's me.

I think the aero is better for longer putts, but also that has a dome too.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 86 Times in 56 Posts

I love my Challengers and don't intend to replace them. I just don't think they are working for me in certain situations so I'm looking for something to compliment them. If I throw the Challengers harder to gain more distance my accuracy suffers. I figure if I throw something with a little more glide I can get the the distance I need without having to push it as hard and loose accuracy. The Aero is another mold I've considered. In your opinion what makes the Aero a better distance putter?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 162 Times in 89 Posts

the dart goes so damn straight. I use it for spin putts and more importantly those super tight wooded holes (you know the kind that have over 150 feet of 15ft wide fairway lined with trees).

the spin putts I put hyzer on it to make it dive down when I'm over 30feet away (or at an inclined/elevated) hole. when you put hyzer on the spin putt it becomes super predictable so you'll avoid two/three puts often.

the fun part is threading the dart through those gaps in trees (like less than 3ft gaps) once you get the form down - to save par when your stuck in the woods.

I have three darts all in a lighter 170g (two in DX and one in G-Star). The g-star is what I use for drives off the tee/long approach shots through trees because of its durability. The DX is for everything else.

Push putts are fine with the dart too, but the dome does need some getting use too.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

the dart will go farther, and faster than the aero.
i would go with the aero because it more resembles a putter. And I don't think you will be punished as badly for a bad putt. But it all depends on the player preference.

aero does feel goofy in the hand. but so do the newer darts